advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
You opinion on major home replacements at MY AGE
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 09, 2013 09:47AM
I want to replace the counter tops in the kitchen, 3 counter tops in 2 bathrooms which would probably involve new wallpaper (all wall paper is great shape and relatively new), taking out a deep bathtub in one bathroom and replacing with a standard depth tub which would require some retiling.

None of these changes are necessary for MY living in my house but at my age would it be worth it ...for resale when I die? Or just a quick resale fixer upper. I don't care that my kids make maximum $$.

Live with it? or maybe do one refurb at a time?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 09:48AM by samintx.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: You opinion on major home replacements at MY AGE
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 09, 2013 09:54AM
to calculate amortization costs we'll need to know how much longer you'll live.

Posted by: Gilbert
Date: January 09, 2013 09:56AM
If you have the means and, as you say, you want these changes, then why not? You worked long and hard to enjoy what you have and if you can find additional enjoyment out of these changes without incurring unnecessary debt, go for it!

That being said, major remodels can be a pain to endure. If the expected pain of dealing with contractors outweighs the expected enjoyment of the upgrades, then I would leave it be and make due.

Not sure if that helps.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: January 09, 2013 09:59AM
What surroundings would make you happiest? My opinion: have your house the way you want it, and let your kids worry about resale value a couple of decades from now. old fogey smiley
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: January 09, 2013 10:01AM
One bad fall and you're in assisted living, then who would care about the counter tops.

Do you see what I'm saying?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 09, 2013 10:02AM
you mean the AGE of Enlightenment.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: michaelb
Date: January 09, 2013 10:10AM
the longer you live, the more your life expectancy goes up. So probably much longer than you think, thankfully. I would do the upgrades if you want to do that upgrades and have the money. You are living there after all. The upgrades I did 5 years ago seem like a long time ago.

But one think to think about as you age for your kitchen and bath is accessibility. So you may want to have your bath and kitchen accessed by someone with knowledge about those issues, including counter top height and door and corridor width. Those changes can make a real difference in staying in your home long term with care.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: January 09, 2013 10:10AM
Well, of course, I don't know what "MY AGE" is. I do know what my age is and we just finished a pretty major kitchen redo. We've lived with it for 16yrs and decided that even at OUR AGE we would have enough time to enjoy it.

I say go for it if it will make you happy.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 09, 2013 10:14AM
If it makes you happy, Go for it !

I'll make one suggestion.....

Think about handicapped accessibilty and flexibility. While full-on wheelchair qualified setups make a house's saleability a bit limited, it's possible to add consideration for our aging limitations into a home's design without making it look like a nursing home.

If you end up breaking an ankle while BASE jumping off the Eiger on one of your adventures, being able to use crutches or a walker inyour home while you heal will be a real plus. big grin smiley
Posted by: Pam
Date: January 09, 2013 10:39AM
I'd go for it. Might as well enjoy your own home. I'm going through a major rework of my house. The kitchen counters will probably cost the most. Laminate has come a long way if you're not on the granite/solid surface bandwagon. Bathroom vanity tops can be had for under $200. Affected wallpaper may still be available for purchase. If the wall was sized, removing the current paper is not a big deal.

I think I'd start with the tub and tile. Simply because your tile crew may be capable of other jobs. My floor tile guys replaced my vanity top and light for an ungodly low price. They'll also set my new sink and redo the plumbing for much cheaper than the countertop people or plumbers.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 09, 2013 10:41AM
If you want it, and can afford it; do it.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 09, 2013 11:15AM
A-Polly
What surroundings would make you happiest? My opinion: have your house the way you want it, and let your kids worry about resale value a couple of decades from now. old fogey smiley

I think you have hit the nail ! and I like the thoughts from the rest of you. I'm happy. None of us know how long we will live and fixing the house us would just be playing mom, making it easier for my kids. I should stop thinking like that! No, debt would not be incurred. May a trip down the western coast of Africa would...old fogey smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 11:16AM by samintx.
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 09, 2013 11:19AM
samintx
I think you have hit the nail ! and I like the thoughts from the rest of you. I'm happy. None of us know how long we will live and fixing the house us would just be playing mom, making it easier for my kids. I should stop thinking like that!

And it might have no impact on resale, do what makes YOU happy.

I've been watching what's been happening on my parents street, the original houses were built in the 1940s-50s, small, with a nice front/back yard. Every one that has been sold is torn down and replaced with a huge 2-family house and no yard, the buyer never even walks into the old house before buying it.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: January 09, 2013 11:31AM
I would also say go for it. It's your house: make it the way you want it.

But make SURE you have good contractors lined up. I'd be more concerned "at your age" with unnecessary aggravation and hassle from bad workers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 11:32AM by Uncle Wig.
Posted by: blooz
Date: January 09, 2013 11:51AM
Old Billy across the street from me has a house slowly deteriorating. He's around 80 years old, says "I'm not going to live much longer, why fix it up for someone else to enjoy?"

For the record, he doesn't look like he's going to fade anytime soon. he was out on his tractor two weeks ago pushing snow off my driveway.

Perhaps not the best attitude, and you may not share those sentiments.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: billb
Date: January 09, 2013 12:03PM
For all you know before you've even assumed ground temperature a QuickeeMart could be going up where your fancy countertops used to be.

[www.youtube.com]

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Black
Date: January 09, 2013 12:10PM
GGD
samintx
I think you have hit the nail ! and I like the thoughts from the rest of you. I'm happy. None of us know how long we will live and fixing the house us would just be playing mom, making it easier for my kids. I should stop thinking like that!

And it might have no impact on resale, do what makes YOU happy.

I've been watching what's been happening on my parents street, the original houses were built in the 1940s-50s, small, with a nice front/back yard. Every one that has been sold is torn down and replaced with a huge 2-family house and no yard, the buyer never even walks into the old house before buying it.

This. Possibly even negative effect on value.
Do it, and do it now so you have the most enjoyment from it.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 09, 2013 12:47PM
The OP sounds like she's asking if the cosmetic renovations are worth it for resale value. In which case, NO. Don't do any cosmetic renovations for resale value. Only do renovations if you will enjoy the upgrades. When house hunting recently I hated it when the original owner has made cosmetic choices for me and has jacked up the price of the house trying to recoup the cost.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 09, 2013 01:01PM
Comfort/Happiness is highest priority.
Aggravation avoidance is nipping at its butt.

That said, means do it in the least aggravating way possible.
Get a contractor w/ impeccable references, cost be damned.
You want (read that, need) things perfect, asap, w/ no grief.
Doing it piecemeal means more opportunity for bad mojo to creep in, so commit, and make it happen.
If counter tops and tubs were sneakers, you'd be a Nike commercial; if you're pretty sure you'll enjoy the result, Just Do It.

///

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: January 09, 2013 01:22PM
+1

If you want to stay in your home as long as possible there are renovations to be considered.

E.g., forget replacing the "garden" bathtub with another bathtub - tile in a walk-in shower (with room for a shower chair) with grab bars instead.

michaelb
But one think to think about as you age for your kitchen and bath is accessibility. So you may want to have your bath and kitchen accessed by someone with knowledge about those issues, including counter top height and door and corridor width. Those changes can make a real difference in staying in your home long term with care.
Posted by: lazydays
Date: January 09, 2013 05:00PM
I vote for only doing upgrades that you will enjoy or that will make your life easier. While leaving an inheritance is nice it is your life to enjoy. My parents talk about my inheritance, or lack of, frequently. The honest truth is that I don't care. I just want them to be happy and I'm sure that's how your kids feel also.
Posted by: andypie48
Date: January 09, 2013 06:05PM
money in the bank ain't gonna do you any good when you're dead.

I'm in the same situation.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 10, 2013 01:03PM
It sounds like the bathtub is the only thing that really needs redoing, but if it does, you may do some of the rest if you really want to. I wouldn't worry about resale value since you said it wasn't a concern. Just plan ahead for grab bars and wheel-chair access. Brainstorm to figure out how to minimize falls. Maybe put a landline phone in there for emergencies if you don't have one now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020