advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Michigan Detours = People Moving to other states.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: August 14, 2006 12:05PM
I'm 100% convinced that Michigan Economy sucks because the roads just suck. My wife and I needed to meet w/ the attorney at 10:00 and it should of only took us 20-30 minutes from my work to get there... Instead, our exit was closed so we had to follow the first exit which was the detour and it took us almost an hour to get there... This made us late. Then on the way home our entrance was closed and the detour took us 30 minutes on our way to get back on the freeway. Then the exit that I had to get off to get back to work was TEMPORARILY CLOSED because they were fixing a light at the exit (not traffic light and why didn't they fix it while they had the freeway closed this weekend). So, I got off at the next exit, which has construction on that road so it took me 15 minutes to make my right turn.

All in all, over 3 hours for a 15 minute meeting. so, 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer than it should of took round trip

Today pretty much made me decide that I AM NOT GOING UP NORTH over labor day weekend. I am so wound up that I can't even concentrate on my work. I have a headache. I'm ready to go home and sleep.

While everyone is on the subject of cars... I'd say that it's best for me to turn it my car, sell my house and move away from Michigan.

Bill
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Michigan Detours = People Moving to other states.
Posted by: Jp!
Date: August 14, 2006 12:12PM
I hate Michigan LEFT TURNS.

Posted by: yeoman
Date: August 14, 2006 12:16PM
Roundabouts.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: August 14, 2006 01:07PM
Jp!

Please tell me that's a bad joke.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Jp!
Date: August 14, 2006 01:12PM
Sorry, it is no joke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2006 01:13PM by Jp!.
Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: August 14, 2006 01:14PM
Jp!

Metal note: stay out of Michigan

-------------------------------------------------------

Join team 38910 folding! [folding.stanford.edu] multi cpu-[calxalot.homeip.net]
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: August 14, 2006 01:14PM
Not a joke. (Well, not a "funny cause it's not true" joke).

It sucks crossing 3-4 lanes of traffic while trying to accelerate to keep ahead of the traffic behind you, while also needing to slow down to do a U-Turn but stopping first so you don't get hit by another 3-4 lanes of traffic.

They work, just kinda suck.
Date: August 14, 2006 01:21PM
How common is that type of intersection?

Posted by: dmann
Date: August 14, 2006 01:23PM
Yep- the "Michigan Left" is a classic.

I am there on business several times a year so I know the routine but the GPS gives me an "off route" warning every time- it thinks I have missed the turn. smiling smiley

Have they made any progress on 14? It took me over an hour to go 12 miles (no, not to 12 Mile) when I was there in May and as I am heading back in Sept. I'll avoid it if I need to.

DM
Posted by: ArtP
Date: August 14, 2006 01:26PM
spacescape
I'm 100% convinced that Michigan Economy sucks because the roads just suck. My wife and I needed to meet w/ the attorney at 10:00 and it should of only took us 20-30 minutes from my work to get there...
All in all, over 3 hours for a 15 minute meeting. so, 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer than it should of took round trip

Today pretty much made me decide that I AM NOT GOING UP NORTH over labor day weekend. I am so wound up that I can't even concentrate on my work. I have a headache. I'm ready to go home and sleep.

Bill

Bill, just curious what expressway caused all this drama?

Only two that I can think of that has some major construction going on is I-75 and M-14.

... and Jp! The Michigan lefts aren't that bad once you get used to them.I figure it's a tradeoff for having nice grassy areas (although weedy sometimes) instead of curb to curb concrete.

What really pulls my chain is the One Way Streets on areas of Detroit's East Side. Why make One Way Residential streets (including side streets)? I have to make Three Right Turns and go 2 or 3 Blocks out of the way! Very Stupid!
Date: August 14, 2006 01:29PM
M A V I C

VERY VERY VERY common... "MICHIGAN LEFT" might even be a wikipedia...

Yup, it is.

[en.wikipedia.org]

dmann
Yep- the "Michigan Left" is a classic.

I am there on business several times a year so I know the routine but the GPS gives me an "off route" warning every time- it thinks I have missed the turn. smiling smiley

Have they made any progress on 14? It took me over an hour to go 12 miles (no, not to 12 Mile) when I was there in May and as I am heading back in Sept. I'll avoid it if I need to.

DM

I have no idea... I'm about ready to tell you "STAY OUT OF MICHIGAN"... Now, if they would just introduce that "BEAMING" technology that we always saw on Star Trek.

I'll ask my wife or her sister if they know how 14 mile is doing.

One thing that was annoying is that 696 has been closed down on and off all summer starting Friday through sunday... It's great going to work on my mother in laws house which normally only takes 15-20 minutes to get there but taking surface it took over 45-50 minutes.

Bill
Date: August 14, 2006 01:34PM
M A V I C

The Michigan lefts are quite common on many roads. Basically since Michigan is not as congested as other states, we have grassy areas dividing our Highways. See where the No Left Turn Signs are all usually landscaped grassy areas (or weeds).

Off the top of my head, almost ALL of our famous MAIN streets are Michigan Lefts at one point or another: Woodward, Gratiot, Grand River, 8 Mile, 7 Mile, 6 Mile Davison...

Wow, now that I think about it there are more than I thought...
Date: August 14, 2006 01:35PM
Thanks Spacescape- I am most concerned about M-14 from Ann Arbor into Livonia. I usually take that to/from 94.

DM
Date: August 14, 2006 01:35PM
ArtP
spacescape
I'm 100% convinced that Michigan Economy sucks because the roads just suck. My wife and I needed to meet w/ the attorney at 10:00 and it should of only took us 20-30 minutes from my work to get there...

Bill

Bill, just curious what expressway caused all this drama?

Only two that I can think of that has some major construction going on is I-75 and M-14.

... and Jp! The Michigan lefts aren't that bad once you get used to them.I figure it's a tradeoff for having nice grassy areas (although weedy sometimes) instead of curb to curb concrete.

What really pulls my chain is the One Way Streets on areas of Detroit's East Side. Why make One Way Residential streets (including side streets)? I have to make Three Right Turns and go 2 or 3 Blocks out of the way! Very Stupid!

696 @ Telegraph... So I could get to Northwestern Highway... You get off at telegraph and ignore the first exit, go to the second one... take that to 13 mile and take 13 mile to Northwestern Highway... Well, second exit was closed so forced to take detour 1... on the way back Northwestern highway (I think because I get confused out in that area... all I know is that you make a right out of the attorney's office and go up to 696) 696 East entrance was closed so you get forced to go up to 8 mile and take 8 mile past woodward... and finally get on I-75 then get onto 696... TOOK SOME TIME... But, finally made it... Then, Groesbeck Exit was closed so I had to get off at Gratiot... But, because of the construction on Gratiot it took 10 minutes to get off at gratiot... Then, can't take Frazo because it's closed about 1/2 way back to grosebeck so I took 10 Mile to groesbeck...

What a mess... Like I said, ever 1-2 weeks parts of 696 is closed for working on the bridges forcing you to take surface EVERYWHERE... however, all most roads are being worked on... WHAT A MESS...

Bill
Date: August 14, 2006 01:40PM
Ugh- I forgot about 696. I think when I come in I'll stick to Farmington Hills and Livonia and avoid appointments with any clients outside of those areas. smiling smiley

DM
Date: August 14, 2006 01:47PM
spacescape
M A V I C

VERY VERY VERY common... "MICHIGAN LEFT" might even be a wikipedia...

Yup, it is.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Thanks. It's interesting how almost all of the pros are negated by the cons.

ArtP
The Michigan lefts are quite common on many roads. Basically since Michigan is not as congested as other states, we have grassy areas dividing our Highways. See where the No Left Turn Signs are all usually landscaped grassy areas (or weeds).

Off the top of my head, almost ALL of our famous MAIN streets are Michigan Lefts at one point or another: Woodward, Gratiot, Grand River, 8 Mile, 7 Mile, 6 Mile Davison...

Wow, now that I think about it there are more than I thought...

It sounds like poor planing to me. Roads should be implemented based on what is going to happen, not what is happening. So it sounds like these were setup in ares that had low congestion, and now they are creating congestion.

We have quite a few congested highways around here, and there's plenty of green.

Date: August 14, 2006 01:50PM
Ahhh, I too forgot about 696 right there....

It's been going on for so long (March/April) we tend to forget about those OLD construction projects.

Glad u said that, I have to go that way this Sunday to catch the last part of a User Group meeting where the Woz will be speaking. I'll be bypassing 696 and going pass Telegraph to get to Northwestern Hwy, but traffic may still be backed up a bit.

Seascape if you are still in town this weekend and want to see and meet the Woz U should come by the MacGroup Detroit meeting this Sunday. They usually have some type of Meet and Greet after the meeting with Picture opportunities and a chance for Woz to autograph stuff.

Here's more info:

[www.macgroup.org]
Date: August 14, 2006 02:20PM
ArtP
Ahhh, I too forgot about 696 right there....

It's been going on for so long (March/April) we tend to forget about those OLD construction projects.

Glad u said that, I have to go that way this Sunday to catch the last part of a User Group meeting where the Woz will be speaking. I'll be bypassing 696 and going pass Telegraph to get to Northwestern Hwy, but traffic may still be backed up a bit.

Seascape if you are still in town this weekend and want to see and meet the Woz U should come by the MacGroup Detroit meeting this Sunday. They usually have some type of Meet and Greet after the meeting with Picture opportunities and a chance for Woz to autograph stuff.

Here's more info:

[www.macgroup.org]

Cool thanks... I'll think about it... Seascape? That's a good name? smiling smiley

Bill
Date: August 14, 2006 02:28PM

Cool thanks... I'll think about it... Seascape? That's a good name? smiling smiley

Bill

Sorry, other things on my mind.....
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 14, 2006 02:31PM
M A V I C
It sounds like poor planing to me. Roads should be implemented based on what is going to happen, not what is happening. So it sounds like these were setup in ares that had low congestion, and now they are creating congestion.

We have quite a few congested highways around here, and there's plenty of green.

Down by my mom's place outside of Phoenix, the roads were laid out about 7-10 years before the expansion go to them. Now that urban sprawl has filled that area, they are expanding out another 10 miles to stay ahead. They added another loop around Phoenix outside the first loop, and I bet a 3rd loop is in the works.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: August 14, 2006 02:40PM
As a Michigan transplant (to Vermont), I have never really had an issue with the roads in Michigan, and they are much better than many places to drive. Boston or Montreal are much worse for example. The roads are flat and straight and wide and generally go somewhere, and you can usually get there from here. Maybe because it is where I learned to drive, but I prefer Michigan drivers and the general rules of the road and courtesy that apply; properly aggressive, without hostility or endless road rage. Vermont drivers for example, this weird blend of 50's country politeness mixed with Boston nastiness, just doesn't work.

I will admit that after driving all over the country and through many of our major cities, for years I found Lansing to be impossible to explain how to navigate around and through, as a result of the most confusing and misnumbered interstate highway system anywhere. The completion of I69 though, after what 40 years or so, has fixed that for the most part.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 14, 2006 04:09PM
is Michigan still part of the Union?

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Posted by: SDGuy
Date: August 14, 2006 05:43PM
Yup - I remember going back for the 20-year high school reunion a few years ago (Go Marauders!) and had to get used to that - didn't like it, and seemed kinda strange.

There were cloverleafs for some of the other left turns - those made more sense to me - but it still took awhile to get used to turning right to make a left turn.

Well, at least the sliders were good - can't get those in San Diego, except in the frozen section of the grocery store - and that's just not the same.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 14, 2006 11:17PM
dmann
I am most concerned about M-14 from Ann Arbor into Livonia. I usually take that to/from 94.

DM

They're still working on parts of M-14 but I don't know whether it will affect you.

You can check MDOT before you leave:

[www.michigan.gov] either the Lane Closures link ( [mdotwas1.mdot.state.mi.us] ) or the "Paving the way 2006" construction map.
Date: August 14, 2006 11:22PM
Michigan Lefts aren't so bad. They usually even have signs before you approach the intersection that say Suchandsuch Road Keep Right. And then at the intersection they have a sign with a diagram (shown on wikipedia).
Date: August 14, 2006 11:34PM
Thanks for the links AllGold. I'll be sure to check them out!

DM
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: August 15, 2006 05:48AM
While in Michigan recently, I ignored every single last one of the no left turn signs. Why? No one can be expected to drive into a state and understand what a totally foreign mechanism of left turn light that either stays constantly on red, flashes red, or works normally...means. A light that chages from flashing to constant red? that cycle is not in any other area I've been to and I don't want to guess...so I just turned left anywhere and everywhere I damn well wanted.

Posted by: Sam3
Date: August 15, 2006 07:17AM
Glad you didn't get a ticket or cause an accident. Sheesh!
Posted by: volcs0
Date: August 15, 2006 11:00AM
Could be worse:

[www.phillyburbs.com]
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: August 15, 2006 11:12AM
Yeah, like left turns all-throughout civilized socieites cause instantaneous death every time they are implemented.

It's like, there's NO ONE COMING....I'm not driving another 1/2 mile, just to sit at the SAME LIGHT ....again...for another cycle.

That is and the road designers in Michigan were/are STUPID.

Date: August 15, 2006 07:24PM
Man, sometimes I think about moving because, among other reasons, traffic here sucks. But to move to a place like that where they actively promote such a stupid design.

Someone should do a calculation on how much extra fuel is burned due to that.

Date: August 16, 2006 05:44PM
I think it's notable that the only people complaining about Michigan Lefts are those from out of state who don't actually use them. ;)
Posted by: Sam3
Date: August 22, 2006 05:29AM
Heh heh heh heh...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 148
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020