advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Daughters Camry Quit and had to be towed.
Posted by: Microman
Date: January 18, 2013 09:15PM
This is a 94 Toyota Camry. Auto. 4 Cyl.

She got gas last night at a USA station. Filled tank.

ON her way home from work, today, she lost power, and could only go about 20 miles an hour.

Last time it was running before turning off, she said all lights were on. Oil is the one that worries me.

All fluid levels were just checked.

Had to be towed to friends house. Now it turns over but wont start. No smell of gas, I am told.

Hopefully just a fuel pump, or fuel filter. Hopefully not worse.

Any tips on troubleshooting?

or should I just have it towed to the repair shop and let them handle?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Daughters Camry Quit and had to be towed.
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 18, 2013 09:26PM
"Last time it was running before turning off, she said all lights were on."

That may be nothing, seems like most cars I've owned, when the RPMs get very low, and the engine is about to stall, all of the lights come on, just like they're all on before the engine actually starts.

Long shot, but did you make sure that the gas cap was put back on after she filled it up.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: January 18, 2013 09:35PM
lost electric power or gas power? If she lost the ability to get gas to the engine, it could be bad gas, or water in the gas, or ice in a fuel line, or something plugging the fuel filter. If it is any of those things, it could clear itself up on its own. Or it could be the fuel pump.
Posted by: DRR
Date: January 18, 2013 11:56PM
It has to be quiet but, turn radio down, get it as quiet as possible, then turn the car to the on position. Don't try to start it. You can almost always hear the fuel pump prime the system. It's usually a high to medium pitched noise. Stops after about 3-5 seconds. If no noise, then fuel pump might just be dead. Fuel pump would be my first suspect.

The 20mph is most likely limp mode - car basically shuts itself down to prevent further damage.
Posted by: slbett
Date: January 19, 2013 12:06AM
What DRR said. Simple test DIY. I have someone listen at back of car since i'm old and sometimes can't hear the sound from driver's seat.
Date: January 19, 2013 06:55AM
Still, FP may be "working" and priming, but might still be malfunctioning. No gas smell is good. It would take a good sized leak to reduce pressure enough to the point of not starting (assuming good FP) Still, the listen test can be a good first step to try to isolate the problem. It is not conclusive though.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 19, 2013 07:38AM
Too bad Car Talk is off the air and they are only playing edited repeats.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: January 19, 2013 08:08AM
air, fuel, spark.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 19, 2013 09:58AM
Steve G.
Too bad Car Talk is off the air and they are only playing edited repeats.

It was entertainment mostly, anyway. Every now and then they would call people who had had an issue that the Tappet Brothers had diagnosed. They would ask if they had solved the problem with their answers and always it was not the problem!
Of course it's difficult to diagnose a problem over the phone and for that reason the show was just entertainment. Also, if you called with an issue-I did once-you got a recording and you were to tell your problem. Then the calls were randomly chosen for broadcast.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 19, 2013 10:48AM
DP
It was entertainment mostly, anyway. Every now and then they would call people who had had an issue that the Tappet Brothers had diagnosed. They would ask if they had solved the problem with their answers and always it was not the problem!

no need to underline. i listened to the show a lot. the segment was called Stump The Chumps. They were often wrong but not always.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 19, 2013 01:42PM
actually I listened to the show for a while and they seemed to be right about 2/3 of the time IMHO.
Posted by: Microman
Date: January 19, 2013 02:08PM
Had it diagnosed this morning. It is fuel pump.

Gonna have the filter and pump replaced. Obviously

Only rationalization, the car is paid off, and no payments. Just recurring big bills. But apparently still cheaper than a 15k to 20k car payment
Posted by: tronnei
Date: January 19, 2013 07:35PM
Microman
Only rationalization, the car is paid off, and no payments. Just recurring big bills. But apparently still cheaper than a 15k to 20k car payment

Camrys are worth fixing. Just had a new rear bumper put on my 1995 Camry (175K miles). Me (or my kid) should still be driving that thing 5 years from now.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 19, 2013 10:07PM
Microman

I was going to say fuel pump.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 19, 2013 10:45PM
Microman

Dennis S
I was going to say fuel pump.

No I wasn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2013 10:51PM by Dennis S.
Date: January 20, 2013 08:46AM
Microman

Fuel pump should not be a big repair. Worth fixing on just about any car. Might be an hour or two plus the pump. For a 20 yo car it's "due".
Posted by: Black
Date: January 20, 2013 01:50PM
We'll never actually know if it was the fuel pump.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 160
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020