advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Nicotine Patches-I'm Trying to Quit
Posted by: Stavs
Date: August 15, 2006 09:15AM
I am in the process of quitting smoking and am going to try the patch. I tried hypnotism and the nicotine mints, but neither worked. A friend gave ame a patch for a plane flight and it worked. So, here's my question...do I need to stick to one brand of patch, or can I switch brands that have the same MG? I bought one package for $10 shipped on ebay, and I do want to save some cash if possible. Any ideas?

Stavs
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Nicotine Patches-I'm Trying to Quit
Posted by: dmann
Date: August 15, 2006 09:22AM
Good for you for quitting!

I don't have personal experience but a good friend who quit last year did switch brands with no real problems. She simply bought watever was on sale or whatever she had a coupon for.

That said, she also felt that she needed the patch more for psychological comfort than physical relief so that may have made a difference.

DM
Posted by: DavidS
Date: August 15, 2006 10:47AM
Congrats on quitting - probably the best thing you can do for yourself. The patches are pretty similar from one brand to another, mg for mg. Just follow the instructions. A lot of them have a 800# you can call for phone support. Some states also have a Quit Line that was funded by the tobacco state lawsuits. Your health insurance company may also offer tobacco support groups or classes.

The reason I bring this up is b/c many studies have shown that a combination of the patches plus other forms of support are much more helpful than one or the other alone.

Another option is to ask your doctor about Chantix. It is a brand new medication (pill form) that agonizes and blocks the nicotinic receptors to significantly help with cravings associated with quitting. The patches won't be useful while using the medication (b/c the receptors are blocked), but you won't get the cravings. It looks very promising as a new treatment for smoking cessation. It is $$, but then again, so are cigarettes.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 15, 2006 11:23AM
My grandfather smoked 3-4 packs of unfiltered Pall Malls a day; he quit cold turkey on his doctor's orders, then died three years later from smoking related causes.

My mother smoked 2-3 packs of unfiltered Camels a day; she quit cold turkey on her doctor's orders, then died fifteen years later from smoking related causes.

My aunt smoked 1-2 packs of various filters such as Old Gold, Parliment, B&H's, Winston, and even some menthols like Salem and Newport; she begrudgingly quit cold turkey because of a mishap during a kidney biopsy, then died a painful seven years later from smoking related causes.

My sister smoked about a pack a day of Tareyton filters; she quit cold turkey when she went in for a physical prior to her intended, though delayed European honeymoon (delayed because of her FIL's death from smoking related causes), only to find out she had cancer, and was immediately hospitalized. She died three and a half years later from multiple metastasized cancers throughout her chest, lungs, hip, throat, head and brain, after a courageous fight and rigorous course of treatment I wouldn't wish on anyone. Smoking was not her friend.

My MIL chain smoked for 35 years until Mrs. Buzz's sister had MIL's first grandkid and wouldn't let her smoke around the baby. MIL weaned her way down, and quit for good before the grandkid was two, and Mrs. Buzz's brother's wife was pregnant with grandkid number two. MIL is now battling a losing battle with aggressive lung cancer, clearly from her years as a chain smoker, and likely won't make it to Halloween. It's not a pretty sight.

OK Stavs, so you started smoking to be "cool" and because of seemingly unrelenting peer pressure, and stuck with it believing bad stuff only happens to other people, and that you'll quit soon, before any real damage is done. Then you liked the additional breaks you got take from work to break up the day. Congratulations, you're starting to realize in addition to killing yourself, that you're pissing off friends and loved ones with your smoking, as well as strangers, too.

Any ideas?
ANY IDEAS???

Quit dilly-dallying about hypno-mint this, patch that, and can I save a few pennies; and QUIT SMOKING!

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Date: August 15, 2006 11:27AM
Buzz
uit dilly-dallying about hypno-mint this, patch that, and can I save a few pennies; and QUIT SMOKING!

You are absolutely right in everything you say-no arguments here. I just need that little extra bit of help to get me through it (weak will power). I'll be hoinest in that i dont want to end up on a list like you just gave!

Stavs
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 15, 2006 02:21PM
Access to Costco? i believe they have them at somewhat reasonable prices.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 15, 2006 05:47PM
Take up jogging.
Seriously.
Or scuba diving.

You've probably heard it before, but:
If you only try to quit, you'll fail.

You really do have to wake up tomorrow morning and decide not to be a smoker any more, then fight all those subliminal urges for nicotine.

A good portion of quitting is , like you 've written "self-control" or mind over matter.

Get a good mental picture of Stavs-the non-smoker and decide that's who you are.

Good luck.
Date: August 15, 2006 08:20PM
billb
Get a good mental picture of Stavs-the non-smoker and decide that's who you are.

Hmmm...he looks like a much fatter guy smiling smiley
Posted by: billb
Date: August 15, 2006 08:38PM
That's one of many reasons I suggested jogging. :-)

Hold onto and chew the ends and caps of Bic stick pens if you have to.
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: August 15, 2006 09:50PM
I've been through it and it is absolutely the hardest thing I have ever done. Use whatever you think might help including the patch, gum, Wellbutrin, etc. The first 6 months are pure hell, the next 6 months are not quite so pure hell. If you can make it a year it gets progressively easier. Bottom line is that you have to have some guts to do it. You can't just rely on a patch or a pill, you have to want to quit. You won't regret it. Just look at it this way you can still have a beer now and then.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 15, 2006 11:31PM
fmgtech
I Just look at it this way you can still have a beer now and then.

Not if you're still on Wellbutrin … and more: "When used with a nicotine patch, there is a risk of increased blood pressure, sometimes severe."

Try not to just end up exchanging one drug for another if you can. Good luck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020