advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need some quick pricing advice...about to make offer on a 2013 GLK350
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: January 28, 2013 08:55AM
Sorry about the last minute nature of this post (I posted these questions over at the Benzworld forums...alas only last nite...with no responses so far).

I'm going with my dad to our local (and only) MB dealer. We're gonna make an offer on a 2013 GLK350 (4Matic, Premium Package w/o Panoramic Roof, Keyless Go, heated seats, illuminated door sills) in Little Rock, Arkansas (vehicle is for mom...I tried to advise them towards a CR-V or Rav4 but to no avail).

I'm trying to figure out what would be a good price for this car.

Edmunds suggests approximately $40K. The actual vehicle is stickered for approx $44500. My aunt bought a similar GLK (but it had the Multimedia package also, though it didn't have 4Matic) this past Sept for $41.5K.

The problem is I don't know if the Edmunds 'true market' price already figures in the so called Winter Clearance event pricing (which supposedly ends this month).

How low do y'all think I can reasonably go with my initial offer? How low do y'all think the dealer will be willing to go?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need some quick pricing advice...about to make offer on a 2013 GLK350
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 28, 2013 09:03AM
I don't have a clue about pricing on this car, but good luck!

I hate going to the dealers.
Posted by: Wailer
Date: January 28, 2013 09:10AM
Take some lube with you...

You've got two things going against you: You are negotiating without being prepared and having good information and it sounds like your parents are impatient and emotional.

If it were me, I would have started this process months ago and my universe would be not just new but dealer used and private party used. I don't like to buy used unless the discount is significant, but I do like the data points that used cars give me and I can use that in negotiating.

But it's too late for any of that. If it's not important to your parents to do the work to get a fair deal, then you shouldn't sweat it either. It's a great car and they should enjoy that. You can't really be adamant during the negotiating process because you don't know anything, so I'd start with invoice minus holdback minus rebates.

Make sure you are buying cash or have your own financing in place too.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: January 28, 2013 09:15AM
Have fun with the Dealer Pricing for service in the future, also. It will be freakin' hilarious... not!

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 28, 2013 09:18AM
Seems like $40K would be a decent deal, looking at what your aunt paid and the Edmund's price. You could always low ball a little and start at $38 or $39. You can always go up, but not down.
Also, look out for all those crap "fees" that they try to add on, after you have negotiated the "final" price. I got up and headed for the door when one dealer tried that smarmy trick. He took them off and we made the deal. When you negotiate the "final" price, make sure they have added in all taxes, tags, title, etc., etc., and that you know the true bottom line number.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: New Guy
If you have to ask you can't afford it.

New Guy
Thanx for the inputs so far. Agreed w/u on all counts Wailer (I believe my parents r buying into the brand). And for whatever reason they don't like used (whereas that's the only way I buy).

We did look into other compact SUV's though (CR-V, Rav4, RDX, Elantra). The only must haves were push button start, xenons, power seats. backup cameras. Nothing fit the bill 100% except the 2013 Rav4 (just hitting dealer lots now) and RDX (scarce as well). As it is, this Benz is a compromise (no xenons or backup camera).
Posted by: MEG
Date: January 28, 2013 09:28AM
According to USAA, the price should be 39,700 which includes a $2k incentive but doesn't say if that is the winter sales event special or just an incentive from buying through the USAA program.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 28, 2013 09:28AM
CRV-EX, and put add on xeons on it. Done for less money, and MUCH better reliability. I just don't get a good feeling about Benz post Chrysler. I think Chrysler infected them with crap-itis instead of the other way around.
Posted by: illustratton
Date: January 28, 2013 10:38AM
Hey, I've got to tell you, the feedback I've heard on the GLK has been good - if your folks want a MB, why dissuade them? Mercedes turned away from the "cost cutting" post Chrysler and is back to the "the best or nothing" . I own no stock in the company, but I'm a long time Mercedes driver... (currently own models from the 50's through to 2006).
Date: January 28, 2013 11:02AM
I like MB and the GLK. I also like Hondas. The GLK is a much better diving experience than a CRV. $18k better? That depends on your values. It also costs a lot more to maintain, insure and will depreciate more, etc. The main point is if your parents want a MB, they should get a MB. However, they shouldn't get reamed in the process.

However, if they don't care and they have the money, let them enjoy it. You can take what limited data you have and fake that you know more and still probably save 5-10% off what someone who has no clue what to do would pay.

rgG is right to warn you to be leery in the closing room. 4 out of 5 transactions I've done I've had to either threaten to walk or actually walk during the closing process. Junk fees or things that were not agreed to appeared. The problem is that once you declined all their high-margin dealer add-ons they have less incentive to sell it to you for the agreed price. That is why you need to know if the price you have agreed to is good or not. In the end, if you still feel like you are seeing unreasonable charges appearing, then you should walk. It's the worse feeling, but every time I've walked, I've had the dealer call me back the next day.

The only time I didn't need to walk is when I negotiated everything up front and told them I was bringing a cashier's check for the exact amount. I still need to test drive the car, but there would be no other negotiation so give me the total price before I come. I actually may have lost some money there because sometimes they will sell a car at a slight loss (or less profit) if they think you might finance it through them and they have huge profit on dealer financing. In the end they will never sell a car if it isn't in their best interest to do so at that moment.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 28, 2013 11:10AM
Carnos,

All too true about the transaction in the closing room. I also have no qualms about walking out of a dealership and have never felt worse for it. Never. I'll also add that if they want an extended warranty, be very careful about which one and the cost. Factory extended warranties only and know how much it is prior to walking into the dealership. I had a dealership insist a 3rd party warranty was Mazda's "new" factory warranty. Complete BS. I called the "closer" on it and he stopped playing games and finalized the transaction and bought the warranty from a dealership.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2013 11:11AM by Robert M.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: January 28, 2013 11:26AM
The GLK is a great ride, no doubt, but my personal preference would be a BMW X5, but it would likely entail a higher price than what was posted here for the GLK.

Posted by: M>B>
Date: January 28, 2013 11:55AM
I purchased my last two vehicles on line! Picked 6 dealers within 100 miles and let them bid among themselves one came in 1,000 below the others and I phoned him and made the deal!
Date: January 28, 2013 11:59AM
I'm often times humbled whenever I post a question here. All of u (and I do mean each and every post) have given me valuable information on in this thread.

Dad and the dealer ultimately agreed to a price of $40K even for the car (out the door price...with the exception of sales tax). They're putting cash down for $25K and financing the rest with a simple interest loan thru Mercedes-Benz USA (with the option/intention of paying it off in a couple of installments...LOL).

Funny how it went down. They started off with an initial price of $41.5K (basically $3K off sticker). We said $39K. They said "we won't b able to do business". I then told them about my aunt's deal. They asked for a VIN. I called my aunt and got a VIN (I think they were surprised at that). They came back with $40.5K after that (turns out my aunt's car was a 2012 model though). Dad said he'd really like $40K. They agreed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2013 12:03PM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 28, 2013 12:16PM
All of u (and I do mean each and every post) have given me valuable information on in this thread.

I doubt my post gave you anything valuable. Glad to hear you got a good deal and it's all over now smiling smiley
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 28, 2013 01:03PM
You did good!

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: January 28, 2013 01:29PM
New Mercedes.

Führer!

I forgot to mention that Costco is a good place to start. You can get a decent price here without any effort which may be more valuable to those who don't have much time or desire to negotiate.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 28, 2013 02:25PM
I test drove a 2011 GLK. It had a funky smell. Reminded me of that Seinfeld episode. I thought that the salesman had been out all night on a gin & garlic binge. But the smell went away after we got out of the car.

Nice car otherwise.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: January 28, 2013 07:02PM
It's a nice truck and MB really have some nice features with the M Brace deal. Very solid ride, but smooth and very quiet. The Germans really do make some really nice cars. Reliability? I have never been impressed with the German cars in that area so I stick to leasing them.

Enjoy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020