advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
should i get an AppleTV to complement my Roku?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 29, 2013 10:17PM
I got the Roku for the Amazon Streaming support but AppleTV has airplay and itunes impulse buys.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: should i get an AppleTV to complement my Roku?
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 29, 2013 10:54PM
AppleTV: Why, that's a nice movie choice you've selected from Amazon tonight, Roku!

Roku: Why thank you, Mr. Apple TV!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 10:54PM by sekker.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 29, 2013 10:55PM
Seriously, I've been thinking of the opposite - getting a Roku box for Amazon Prime streaming now that we are paying for that and Amazon Prime is not available on our Apple TV.
Posted by: lazydays
Date: January 29, 2013 11:12PM
I started with the AppleTV and I use it extensively. It's the only thing that can tie into iTunes perfectly and iTunes is the only thing that can sync to IOS devices. So it just makes life easy to remain inside the apple ecosphere.

That said I did buy a Roku exclusively for Amazon Video. I have yet to use it once single time though for that purpose. Mostly I use it to play Pandora. Since Roku doesn't do airplay I use an FM transmitter to send the music throughout my house.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: January 29, 2013 11:40PM
mattkime
I got the Roku for the Amazon Streaming support but AppleTV has airplay and itunes impulse buys.

Wouldn't Amazon provide essentially the same content selection as iTunes? You can buy movies/TV shows directly from the Roku, but will have to hit the computer for music purchases. Still no AirPlay support, but the iOS Roku app can send over certain media content to the Roku.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 11:41PM by silvarios.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: January 30, 2013 05:43AM
If you have an iPad, you can play Amazon Prime video on it and use Airplay to display on your TV thru AppleTV.
Date: January 30, 2013 06:23AM
Forrest
If you have an iPad, you can play Amazon Prime video on it and use Airplay to display on your TV thru AppleTV.

Unfortunately, no.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 30, 2013 06:26AM
Matt,

See the recent threads about Roku and AppleTV. Although they have very similar features, each has its pros and cons. Specific to your post... Impulse buys are an option on both devices. You already have access to impulse buys from Amazon.

The reason to supplement the Roku with an AppleTV would be for a smoother more polished interface and Apple specific features, i.e. iTunes Home Sharing, access to the iTunes store and content that is iTunes friendly (out of the box), Airplay (if you actually use it), streaming from iOS devices, etc. But, even then, you don't need an AppleTV for some of those features. Sharing from a computer to the Roku can be done via Plex. It's neither as easy nor as friendly as iTunes home sharing but it works.

In a nutshell, we need more details as to what the Roku isn't doing for you. Why spend the money on an Apple TV if there is a way to do it with your existing hardware and software?

Robert
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: January 30, 2013 07:38AM
I've got a Roku on the TV and an ATV sitting in its box.

Don't bother unless you need something only an ATV can do.

My only wish right now is that Roku's Netflix channel supported subtitles (using the Blu-ray player for Netflix because it does)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 30, 2013 08:10AM
Roku has the more eclectic sounding name.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: olnacl
Date: January 30, 2013 08:39AM
subtitles are supported on the ATV for netflix.

I was thinking about a Roku to add to my ATV but when I saw that about 1/4 of the reviews on Amazon were 1 star, i figured I could do without.

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime for over a year. I have yet to watch the first movie on Amazon Prime (it's supported on my DVD player and TV).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 08:44AM by olnacl.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 30, 2013 09:37AM
Ol,

I wouldn't let the reviews stop you from buying a Roku if one has features that you'd like but are unavailable on an AppleTV. If you compare reviews of the AppleTV to, for the sake of giggles, the Roku 2 XS, you'll see both devices have a significant number of 1 and 2 star reviews. 'course, the numbers are higher for the Roku 2 XS but, then again, they're more than twice as many reviews for it. If you look at other Roku models, they seem to do better than the AppleTV.

But, as you have Amazon VOD support in your TV and DVD player, I wouldn't buy the Roku. You're be spending money on a device that replicates some of the features you already have available to you via your existing hardware. That and definitely look at Amazon Prime VOD. You'd be surprised at how many good movies/shows/etc are available via prime free VOD, some of which aren't available via NetFlix streaming (and vice versa).

Robert
Date: January 30, 2013 04:11PM
Bill in NC
My only wish right now is that Roku's Netflix channel supported subtitles (using the Blu-ray player for Netflix because it does)

Netflix on Roku does support subtitles (cc?), but it depends on the content.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 282
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020