advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FU Water Heater (part 4)
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 30, 2013 08:06PM
Thanks for all the help in the previous thread (I think Z gave me the proper links to forums and from there I was able to find parts)

In the previous thread we determined that the lower thermostat did not close the circuit and thus the lower heating element never turned on. So I ordered the parts, and for the heck of it, I ordered both upper and lower thermostats.

This morning the over temp protection button tripped again and I ran out of hot water just in time to finish the shower.

This afternoon the new parts arrived. I opened to replace and I found this.

Now I replace both units (upper and lower) and we have hot water again. I am still not sure hot this happened since the lower thermostat was apparently defective, and this cover was definitely NOT metled two days ago.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FU Water Heater (part 4)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 30, 2013 08:09PM
Good call on replacing both. Hang on to the functioning used one as a spare for future emergency repair and diagnostic tool.
Date: January 30, 2013 08:12PM
BTW, two days ago I did not disconnect anything, I only measured with a DMM and turned the thermostat dials, but I never loosened that screw. strange...

anyway, the offending wire was long enough that I had plenty left to cut the overheated part and now it should be as good as new. I hope.
Posted by: Z
Date: January 31, 2013 11:38AM
Oh man, it looks like the smoke was let out of that wire and now it's not going to work anymore. You're going to have to replace the smoke in the wire with a kit like this - [www3.telus.net]

The load going from the upper to the lower, if you had some current running, may have been the purpose for the overtemp. Good call on replacing both. Did you also opt for the anode?
Date: January 31, 2013 05:26PM
what are you smoking? smiling smiley

yes, I think it was a good call to replace both, the upper one was overheating for some reason and tripping, the lower one was dead. I noticed before replacement that tank felt warm at the top and cooler at the bottom, which makes sense. Now with both heaters running, I don't feel the tank warm at all, I think it has a slightly lower but uniform temperature. The water feels just fine, and I have not ran out of hot water yet. I guess the real test would be to run the washer, dish washer and take a shower all at once smiling smiley

regarding the anode, not yet, that will be next. I am trying to learn about anode replacement, I found out there are Aluminium ones and Magnesium ones, some people say Magnesium is better, you don't want Aluminium in your water.

Also I need to find a 1 1/16 socket, and a breaker bar.

I think I'll gather all tools and materials and do this on some Saturday morning, so I can still call an emergency plumber if something goes wrong.

I found the manual of the heater and they also talk about cleaning the heating elements once in a while, maybe I do that too at the same time with the anode.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: January 31, 2013 11:34PM
Buy the cheap looking socket next to heating elements in whatever store you go to. It actually works better than a standard deep socket.
Date: February 01, 2013 06:21AM
srf1957
Buy the cheap looking socket next to heating elements in whatever store you go to. It actually works better than a standard deep socket.

good to know. why does it work better?
Posted by: srf1957
Date: February 01, 2013 12:27PM
On the heating elements they are usually 1 1/2 head. Standard 1/2 deep drive sets only go to either 1 or 1 1/4 inch. You would probably pay twice the price for oversized socket, or buy a 3/4 drive bar and socket.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020