advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Going to Disneyland on Friday...
Posted by: Greg the dogsitter
Date: August 16, 2006 02:34PM
Should we reserve time for California Adventure?

Any other suggestions or tips are appreciated.

GtDS

---
Use Excel? Can I interest you in saving some time with Excel? Listifier.com!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Disneyland on Friday...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 16, 2006 02:38PM
do you have lodgings inside the park?

If so, the park opens earlier for y'all. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 16, 2006 02:41PM
Nope; lodgings at Mom's house. :-)
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 16, 2006 02:43PM
never been, but hear its OK

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: August 16, 2006 02:44PM
I was there forever ago; first time for MG.
Date: August 16, 2006 02:46PM
the food inside can be overpriced. . .i

IHMO if you are going to spend big bucks better to spend it @ the nicer "restaurant style" eateries (probably for dinner) that they have. . .

I remember that there is a listing somewhere that lists the best restaurants inside.

I tried googlin but couldn't find it.

Posted by: troywellbuilt
Date: August 16, 2006 02:49PM
You MUST get this book and follow the plan as closely as you can. Do otherwise and you will spend all day in lines.

[www.amazon.com]

We were in Disneyland 3 days and I felt we did not do and see all I wanted to (including riding rides multiple times.) We had no desire to check out Disney's California.

The big hints from the book are: be at the gate BEFORE the park opens (sometimes they open earlier than posted) RUN to the rear of the park and ride the popular rides before the crowds descend. Familiarize yourself with the Fastpass system. Leave the park around lunchtime for a few hours - go back to the hotel for a swim. (Before you leave get a fastpass for a ride that will let you on about when you want to return.) 1:00 or so is when the park is most crowded and hottest. Come back in the late afternoon when people start leaving. The last couple hours the park is open there are no lines.

Get yourself a nice pineapple smoothie at the Tiki bird show. Yum.
Date: August 16, 2006 02:50PM
I agree with the popular ride suggestions (that is if you really want to ride them). . .the lines can be so long. . . .

Date: August 16, 2006 02:53PM
Which are the popular rides, these days?

When I was last there, Star Tours' new-ness was just starting to fade.
Posted by: Microman
Date: August 16, 2006 02:59PM
I have a California Pass, that I cant use this month and part of next. Wife and daughter have a better pass, including parking.

Really easy to get into when we go East on the 91 Carpool, to the 5 South Carpool, and get off at the Disneyland Drive or something, that goes right to the big parking structure. Then its on the tram to the ticket windows. If you dont have tickets that can be a line, and a wait. Even with my pass you need to wait in a few minute line to get in. And then when Ca Adventure closes before Disneyland, the people going from one to another are in a big line.

Went two nights ago to Downtown DIsney. Parking is free for a few hrs I think, and then validated when we ate at ESPN zone. Good food, but overpriced arcade.

Wife has spent more time walking DOwntown Disney.... We walked into the rustic hotel, and across from their poos there was a nice restaurant that had a buffet and dinner menus. We split the walnut and basalmic (sp) salad and short ribs. Used the card for a discount, and was great.

Good luck.
Posted by: Webster J. Duck
Date: August 16, 2006 03:22PM
We took the kids yesterday. I absolutely abhor these places, but what are you going to do.

I used a program called Ridemax (search on Google) that really saved us a lot of time and allowed for a pretty much wait-minimized day. It was well worth the money ($14 and change I think).

Make liberal use of the Fastpass system.

Fed the family for $30 at Buzz's Clubhouse
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: August 16, 2006 04:17PM
I don't care much for California Adventure. The big roller coaster is neat, but the rest is just sorta dull. And most of the park has this absolutely cheesy muzak-calliope-Beach Boys soundtrack that would drive a teetotaler to drink.

There's some good restaurants in CA, like the Napa Valleyish place. There's nothing that good in Disneyland proper that's open to the Joe Q Public. But there's also decent food at Downtown Disney now, and all you have to do is get your hand stamped and walk over.

Although some schools are starting up already, Disneyland will still be pretty crowded on Friday. But CA is never crowded, so if you can go there to escape the teeming masses when the crowds peak around 2 to 4pm. Otherwise, I'd say don't bother.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 16, 2006 04:29PM
Always get a fastpass when you exit a ride unless the line is still short. On busy summer days, the fastpasses for the good rides will run out before noon.

There's really no great strategy for "Doing it all". Try to think about which rides are most important, and go there first. If you're with kids under 6, just head straight for toontown.

As far as California Adventure goes, it's OK. bfd's favorites there are Soaring over California, Tower of Terror, and the Rollercoaster. California Adventure typically closes at least two hours before Disneyland does on any given day, so that's another thing to consider. By the end of this month, they'll be returning to their non-summer hours.

Using a Ridemax plan can be a good option to consider, mentioned above, but it might be challenging if your group is not willing to march to someone else's drummer. It is interesting, though, in that it considers lots of data and "traffic patterns" in its analysis. Probably far more than even an experienced visitor could ever expect to do on their own. We used a friend's subscription once, and it did as advertised. We probably got on at least 20 rides that day, which is not typical unless you're visiting from mid-September through mid-December - of course, then you have an earlier park closure to deal with.
Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: August 16, 2006 04:52PM
Do they still have Captain EO?

[youtube.com]

-------------------------------------------------------

Join team 38910 folding! [folding.stanford.edu] multi cpu-[calxalot.homeip.net]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 16, 2006 05:02PM
that was one freaky alien.
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: August 16, 2006 05:05PM
We were just there in November. CA Adventure does seem like it is not complete. We did like California Screamin' (roller coaster), Soaring over California and the Whitewater ride.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: August 16, 2006 07:33PM
Cap't EO was removed after the first MJ/little boy incident years ago.

I do remember Angelica Huston looking VERY hot in that movie.

Go the Blue Bayou (in the Pirates of the Carribean) as soon as you get into the park and get a reservation if you want to do dinner there.

Strength without compassion is brutality. Compassion without strength is weakness.

We must train our minds to desire what the situation demands.
Date: August 16, 2006 08:05PM
Thanks very much for all the suggestions, folks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020