advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Animation Oscar Time: ParaNorman w/ geek angle
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 22, 2013 08:27AM
If you liked Coraline, you will absolutely love ParaNorman. (available on DVD). Not only is ParaNorman an interesting, funny and extremely well-acted movie, but the acting is done in Stop Motion.

here's the Rotten tomatoes roundup: [www.rottentomatoes.com]

Wikipedia: [en.wikipedia.org]

Wired article: [www.wired.com]

Here's the Geek Angle:
1) Rather than using traditional 3D format cameras, the studio used sixty Canon EOS 5D Mark II DSLR cameras to film the movie.
2)ParaNorman is the first ever stop motion film to utilize full-color 3D printers for replacement animation, after Coraline pioneered and popularized the use of black and white 3D printers, which sped up puppet production considerably and allowed the team to make the large number of puppet faces required for the film. (Which is why they can act like the dickens!)

3-D printing prototyping...thousands and thousands and thousands of them!

"But how about Brave?" you ask.
A very good idea. Merida's hair is a landmark in computer animation (the great grandchild of Sully's fur from Monsters Inc). However, something went very, very wrong (director fired, numerous committee rewrites) which turned a potential Pixar masterpiece into just another "Disney bear movie" (and not a very good one, either). Hopefully, the Disney corporate drones won't be allowed to mess up the next one.

I have not seen Wreck It Ralph. All the reviews say it's excellent.

I have seen Pirates! Band of Misfits (available on DVD). It's Aardman animation (Wallace and Grommit) at its best. Highly recommended add a sixth star if you like British humor.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Animation Oscar Time: ParaNorman w/ geek angle
Posted by: Stavs
Date: February 22, 2013 08:54AM
All of those listed were great, except for Brave. Wreck it Ralph was fantastic and overall I think it was the best of the bunch. Paranorman was excellent, but the story line was not pulling me in as much as Ralph, and Pirates was just pure fun. Brave...meh.
Posted by: Kate
Date: February 22, 2013 09:47AM
Just this last weekend I went to a lecture at the Walt Disney Family Museum on the making of Paranorman. A great afternoon and they had lots of the armatures, faces, etc. I love stop action!

Kate
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 22, 2013 10:22AM
so ParaContinuar.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 22, 2013 02:31PM
Stavs
All of those listed were great, except for Brave...Brave...meh.

Minority opinions are always good. Rotten Tomatoes gives Brave a 78%.
Date: February 22, 2013 02:35PM
Article Accelerator
Stavs

It's on the internet, so it has to be true smiling smiley

I thought it could have been a better movie. I expect more from Pixar. It was certainly beautiful, but the story was meh. Out of last years movies that were animated, it paled in comparison to Wreck it Ralph, Frankenweenie, Pirates and Paranorman.
Date: February 22, 2013 02:50PM
To expand on Brave, I guess I feel like it was too predictable and the ending was kind of rushed. I've seen Wreck it Ralph 3 times (and will have a fourth in tonight probably), Paranorman and Frankenweenie twice. Pirates is on Starz all the time, so I've seen that a lot. All much better than Brave.

Each of these movies stands out in one way or another.

Pirates stands out for its humor, which I think has the best and most gags.
Paranorman stands out based on its film making, but the story wasn't very strong. Bonus points for adding a gay character to a mainstream animated film.
Frankenweenie because its Tim Burton and just creepy good.
Brave based on its music and beauty

Wreck it Ralph just has more to offer as a whole. The story is not rushed, and is very heartwarming. The characters had good development, and the addition of the retro videogame characters brings it up to another level. From a visual standpoint, it was not as stunning as Brave, but it was very well done with great use of colors, and a lot of good imagery. Sound was good as well. I guess it all depends on how you are rating the movies and what you are rating them on.
Posted by: Kate
Date: February 22, 2013 02:56PM
I agree that Brave was sub-par for Pixar. Beautiful but an incredibly weak story. Its been said that one of Walt's greatest abilities was to keep the story on track, cutting animation that was truly beautiful but didn't serve the story. It's movie making and I think story is prime, but many current movie makers fall in love with elements that don't serve the story, weakening the end product (IMHO).

Pocahontas is a perfect example, as I think Brave is also.

Kate
Posted by: silvarios
Date: February 23, 2013 08:23AM
Article Accelerator
Stavs

I'm not sure if you understand how the scoring works. From what I can tell, that score means 78% of critics find the film ultimately worth seeing, but it doesn't automatically equate 78% of critics found the film to be a masterpiece or even very good, just good enough to view. Without reading each review individually, we can't understand how well each critic actually enjoyed the film solely based on the Rotten Tomatoes score

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2013 08:27AM by silvarios.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 23, 2013 10:51AM
I have a feeling that Pixar and Disney switched "Wreck It Ralph" and "Brave". "Brave" is very much a traditional disney "movie for girls", while "Ralph" is another misunderstood guy movie that Pixar has made a bunch of? Pixar has a better rep than Disney at this point (and since they are both owned by Disney), Disney higher ups decide to make the switch!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: February 23, 2013 12:18PM
silvarios
I'm not sure if you understand how the scoring works. From what I can tell, that score means 78% of critics find the film ultimately worth seeing, but it doesn't automatically equate 78% of critics found the film to be a masterpiece or even very good, just good enough to view.

I understand their system quite well, silvarios.
Date: February 23, 2013 12:52PM
Article Accelerator
silvarios
I'm not sure if you understand how the scoring works. From what I can tell, that score means 78% of critics find the film ultimately worth seeing, but it doesn't automatically equate 78% of critics found the film to be a masterpiece or even very good, just good enough to view.

Then your original comment doesn't make sense. How can you prove our colleague was proving a minority opinion based off your counter evidence?
Date: February 23, 2013 12:57PM
Rolando
I have a feeling that Pixar and Disney switched "Wreck It Ralph" and "Brave". "Brave" is very much a traditional disney "movie for girls", while "Ralph" is another misunderstood guy movie that Pixar has made a bunch of? Pixar has a better rep than Disney at this point (and since they are both owned by Disney), Disney higher ups decide to make the switch!

Thats kind of how I felt, but when you look at the quality of the two movies, Brave certainly has that Pixar "wow" look to it, while Ralph doesn't. My fingers are crossed for Ralph!!
Date: February 23, 2013 01:50PM
silvarios
Article Accelerator
silvarios

Then your original comment doesn't make sense. How can you prove our colleague was proving a minority opinion based off your counter evidence?

If our colleague were professional critic, his opinion would be in the minority.
Date: February 23, 2013 02:58PM
Article Accelerator
If our colleague were professional critic, his opinion would be in the minority.

You still aren't understanding the Rotten Tomatoes rating. It isn't definitively stating 78% of critics loved the film, but 78% found it at least watchable enough to be worth seeing. The individual reviews would have to be examined to see if they agree or disagree with the point you are attempting to refute. Since no one here has said they hated Brave, but it was merely passable enough to watch, you might find that jives with the reviewers' sentiments, or not. Either way, the number you suggest isn't a clear indicator of greatness.
Date: February 23, 2013 03:00PM
Full disclosure, I have not seen the film in question and consequently do not have an opinion of the quality of said film.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020