Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Transintl-- good vendor?
Posted by: JJ
Date: August 17, 2006 03:12PM
[forums.macresource.com]

Looking to put my 60GB MacBook HD in an external FW enclosure. OWC has one for $90, but I have to use a FW800 to FW400 cable. Transintl has one for $100 that has a built in FW400 port.

I am extremely disorganized and trying to limit my stress level when looking for cables.

I would rather do business with OWC, but I like the FW400 built in option at Transintl.

Anyone have ad or good things to say about them?

JJ
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Transintl-- good vendor?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 17, 2006 03:26PM
Historically, they have been a good vendor. I haven't ordered from them, but they were frequent advertisers at another place you may know about. I haven't thought about them in a couple of years, but I wouldn't be afraid to order from them if they had exactly what I needed.

Whatever case you get, try and get a USB2 and FW case, and that the case have at least 2 ports. Many here have cases where 1 of the 2 or 3 ports has gone bad, but they can still use it, or at least get the data off of the drive before they junk the case. I personally would try and get a 2 fw port, and 1 USB2 port case. Both of my 5 1/4" optical drive cases are that way.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2006 03:28PM by Racer X.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: August 17, 2006 03:53PM
We do include the FW800 to FW400 cable with our solution. So there is nothing extra to purchase.

Also - from what I have read, the Trans solution doesn't support Bus Power via USB - something our solution does provide.

Whatever works though - I can understand the advantage of the FW400 port.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 17, 2006 04:11PM
I just looked at the OWC solution for $90. If you are the slightest bit worried, get the OWC case, and spend that extra $10 on getting a second FW800-FW400 cable, and put it away. [www.pcmicrostore.com] Their cables are decent, and the PCMS-branded cables are frequently free or $1 shipping. They just ship in padded envelopes.

Either looks good to me.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: August 17, 2006 06:18PM
Again, I have the OWC model, and the additional cables are included to go from FW800 to a FW400 device. No worries.

You get a little extra 'umph' with the OWC product, and is easily worth more, in comparision, than the other drive.

I've done business with Transintl, and never had a problem.

Posted by: bfd
Date: August 18, 2006 12:09AM
When bfd's in a hurry, he goes TransIntl … they're just up the freeway in Orange County, so even ground delivery is "next day".

When time is less of an issue, OWC gets the call. Comparable prices, but as mentioned, OWC provides cables - which is nice because then you start with a fresh set.
Posted by: ADent
Date: August 18, 2006 01:16AM
I bought something from them in 1999.
Posted by: maco
Date: August 18, 2006 10:59AM
All my orders with them have always gone smoothly.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 19, 2006 03:57PM
Same here. They seem very good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 166
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020