advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need some OS 9 help
Posted by: Buckeye_Sean
Date: August 18, 2006 12:41PM
Like many, I have long since left OS 9. However, I just sold my dual boot MDD DP 1.25 and my buyer wants me to install OS 9 as well as X.

I have a single 160GB WD hard drive that I partioned in 1/2 - roughly 75GB per partition. I already installed OS X on the 1st partition, but I am having no luck getting my OS 9 disk to install onto the 2nd partition. (Yes, I did check the "install OS 9 drivers" on this disk.)

FWIW - if I reboot using the OS 9 disk the WD doesn't show up at all on the desktop. If I try to launch the OS 9 installer directly from the disk it tells me I can't install OS 9 on this computer???

Any suggestions? It's been a loooong time since I messed with 9.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
MacBook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7
IMac 27" 3.4GHz quad-core Intel i7
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need some OS 9 help
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 18, 2006 01:08PM
Which OS 9 disks are you using to try and reinstall? You need to use the version that shipped with your MDD. It is the only one that supports the MDD 1.25 models. Also, others have reported problems with disks initialized using OS X, even if the Install OS 9 drivers is checked. They found that initializing the disk using OS 9 worked better. Unless your buyer wants the disk partitioned, there is no advantage to doing so, and it makes the installation process a bit more complicated.

Posted by: Buckeye_Sean
Date: August 18, 2006 01:23PM
Hmmm, FWIW I "think" these are the original install disks. The MDD will boot off the disk with no problems. For kicks, I also plugged in an old 20Gig hard drive I found lying around and still no dice installing OS 9 on it either. (I formatted it off an old G3 B&W I have.)

*Sigh*

Looks like I'm going to really do some experimenting this weekend.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
MacBook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7
IMac 27" 3.4GHz quad-core Intel i7
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: August 18, 2006 03:47PM
IIRC you need to do the 9 install first.

Boot from the OS 9 install CD and reformat the drive, then run your installers.

Don't bother wasting so much space for 9 though, at most I would set aside perhaps 10gigs at the end of the drive for 9. ( I had a TON of stuff on an old OS 9 partition that dated back to 1999 that totaled just under 30GB!!!)

When my wife bought her iBook a few years back I split the drive in half, 15gigs each for 9 & X and within a year I had to back up all the data and reformat the drive to make more space for X. Currently the drive is split 25/5 and most of that 5 on the OS 9 side is empty space.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. If there are any circumstances which permit an exception, they do not now occur to us." Justice Robert Jackson
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 18, 2006 05:05PM
Harbourmaster
IIRC you need to do the 9 install first.

It was my experience that it didn't matter whether 9 or X is installed first.

It is what it is.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: August 18, 2006 06:17PM
Do as Harbourmaster says.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 181
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020