advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My car got sapped
Posted by: kap
Date: August 18, 2006 10:44PM
I parked my 86 Honda Accord hatchback on the street under a large palm tree for four days. When I finally saw that my car finished had been smeared with sap from the palm tree, I decided to give it a wash. Well, for the life of me I could not remove the brown blemishes. Now the hood has its own designed patterns. HELP!

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2006 10:45PM by kap.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My car got sapped
Posted by: sydric
Date: August 18, 2006 10:46PM
Try hot water and a good car wash soap. Or put towels over the tree sap spots and pour the hot water over the towels. Let it soak under the hot towels for a bit.
Posted by: endymion
Date: August 18, 2006 10:54PM
Rubbing alcohol removes sap quite readily from the hands and clothes... However, I've been trying to remove some from painted metal railing outside my house and, well, really funky stuff happens. If you try it, use a LOT...
g=
Date: August 18, 2006 11:08PM
sydric,

I took the advices from the members here to start using car wash soap. Today's wash was the first try with the Gold Class car wash shampoo and conditioner. It did a better job of cleaning the car than dish soap for sure ... it removed bird excrement easily; not sap so I found out.

Hot water? Which means I will have to take the car to one of those self-service car wash places.

Endymion,
I will try rubbing alcohol in a small discrete spot. Will tomorrow morning be too late?

SoCal for now.
Posted by: kj
Date: August 19, 2006 12:21AM
You could try peanut butter. I used to get sap all over me when I was a kid (climbing trees) and we used it (it worked). I don't know about cars though? I don't think it would hurt anything though. kj.
Date: August 19, 2006 12:57AM
Wouldn't peanut butter attract rats?

;)

SoCal for now.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: August 19, 2006 06:51AM
If nothing else works, a cleaner wax may help. Or, if you are careful, rubbing compound which just contains more grit than the cleaner wax. Depending on your finish, this could be a really bad idea, but if you can't get it off any other way...

Probably best to go to a professional if this is a valuable car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2006 06:51AM by iaJim.
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 19, 2006 07:35AM
GOOP? it is an orange product
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: August 19, 2006 07:43AM
WD-40?
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 19, 2006 07:50AM
Bug and Tar remover should take it off. Be careful of items that have solvents as they may cause more damage.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 19, 2006 09:29AM
For some types of saps, the fats in butter (yes really) will dissolve the sap. Give it a try.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: JEBB
Date: August 19, 2006 09:47AM
If it is lipid soluble, motor oil or cooking oil should take it off. The remaining oil should wash off easily with dish detergent.
Date: August 19, 2006 10:54AM
After all that work I will certainly have myself a peanut butter sandwich or a salad with a dash of cooking oil ;)

Will test a small area with all of these suggestions. Thanks again!

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 19, 2006 10:59AM
I always heard that dish soap also removed wax from the finish but in this case it maybe necessary just to get the sap off.

Grateful11
Posted by: SteveO
Date: August 19, 2006 12:09PM
Ditto the natural solutions first (always start mild!). If those don't work, go to your auto parts store and ask what will safely take off the sap. Those guys and gals know that stuff -- and sell it!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 19, 2006 12:48PM
Try using a clay bar on the spots after you have removed the sticky crap. That should remove the sap unless it is really deep into the paint. You can find a clay bar at most automotive stores.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: BernDog
Date: August 19, 2006 02:46PM
Another vote for WD-40. My wife drove over a patch of highway a couple years ago that had very very recently been tarred. Unfortunately, there were no signs and before we knew it we had tar on the bottom 3-4 inches of her entire car. It took a lot due to the surface area involved, but WD-40 did the trick lickety-split. Absolutely no finish damage at all. If you have a large area, try to find the gallon cans rather than aerosol.
Posted by: Baby Tats
Date: August 20, 2006 12:06AM
The chemist says, "First rule of solvation: like dissolves like."

You have tree sap so I would go for a tree based solvent. The obviuos first choice is turpentine. Another option as samintx mentioned would be a citrus based cleaner with a high percentage of limonene (citrus oil) in it. Limonene is a terpene somewhat similar to the terpenes found in turpentine. Use a soft cloth and rub softly.

Since carnauba wax is also highly soluble in turpentine you will have to wax the car again. But if you are putting any of the above solvents on your car you are probably going to need to wax it again. In fact, if you are like most people then it is time to wax your car anyway so use this as an excuse to do it. Afterall, after removing the spots and washing it, it would be a shame not to give it a good coat of wax. Your '86 will love it. I am partial to Mother's brand but no matter what you buy make sure it is a paste carnauba wax.

Another nice thing about turpentine is that it is great for removing wax that may get onto your trim pieces when you are applying it.

BT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2006 12:15AM by Baby Tats.
Posted by: bruceko
Date: August 20, 2006 12:58AM
Don't know about palm tree sap but Laquer thinner gets fir tree sap off really well.
Don't rub just let a rag soak the pitch for a minute.
It doesn' hurt the paint finish.
Posted by: karsen
Date: August 20, 2006 11:56AM
Before you try anything to aggressive give fabric softner sheets a try. Take one, moisten with water and rub. The texture of the sheet along with the softner works to safely remove almost anything from cars.

I've use this method to remove love bugs every year and even pine sap once.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020