advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is Windows 8 really that bad?
Posted by: Randalls
Date: March 10, 2013 12:06PM
Don't know. Haven't used it and don't plan to. This article is pretty hard on it...
[www.businessinsider.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is Windows 8 really that bad?
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 10, 2013 12:15PM
You're kidding, right?

Radically different UI from previous Winblows releases. Steep learning curve. I think many users opt to revert to an "older style" UI. If you're going to do that, why bother upgrading? I understand that if you buy a new PC, you might not have the choice getting an older flavor Win OS.

I think MS is betting on touch screen computers to become far more widespread. Apparently that might make for a better user experience.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 10, 2013 12:20PM
If you are coming from an iPad or a Mac, win8 is fine.

If you are coming from XP, the interface is a mystery.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: March 10, 2013 12:23PM
Not kidding. Just haven't had a chance to use it. Article seemed pretty brutal from someone on the 'team'.
Posted by: Beam Me Up Scotty
Date: March 10, 2013 12:26PM
For a touch screen, it's actually pretty good. No, not a Mac but only a Mac is a Mac.

For non touch screens it's best to downgrade it a tad so at minimum you can get your Start Menu back.

So overall, it's not terribly bad (Vista) nor really worth an upgrade, it just takes a bit of getting used to when you need to buy a new computer. I haven't had the pleasure of trying to network Windows 8, perhaps others can chime in as to whether it's acceptable.

Just my 2 cents,
D & C

Note: Reading the article the problem with the downtrend of new PC sales is the expanding growth/sales of tablets and smartphones, not Windows 8. I rarely carry a laptop anymore as I can pretty much do everything I need to on my Android.
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: March 10, 2013 12:29PM
sekker

If you are coming from XP, the interface is a mystery.
agree smiley
I found a app to add a start menu.
Posted by: chopper
Date: March 10, 2013 02:04PM
[www.classicshell.net]
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 10, 2013 02:06PM
I give them a lot of credit for upending what has historically been a painful OS experience. If it's a steep learning curve, then it's curving from crappy, cuz that's where it was.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 10, 2013 02:09PM
Vista 8.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 10, 2013 03:28PM
I loaded it on my home computer and I couldn't figure out how to start a program for quite awhile. I've seen experienced users make it fly but it is not intuitive at all. It requires training.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 10, 2013 03:44PM
Typical MAC user. Go back to your expensive toy.

davemchine
I loaded it on my home computer and I couldn't figure out how to start a program for quite awhile. I've seen experienced users make it fly but it is not intuitive at all. It requires training.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: March 10, 2013 04:04PM
sekker

I can see the iPad > Win8 bit, but not the Mac part. W8 is painful if you just want to get somewhere with the least amount of effort.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 10, 2013 04:31PM
People struggle with change.
Posted by: olnacl
Date: March 10, 2013 04:55PM
I have it, only so I can help clients that are stuck with it on a new computer. IMHO, it's Win 7 with lipstick and as the old saying goes " something about putting lipstick on a pig". As stated above, why bother if you're going to use a shell to remove the shell - may as well stick with win 7 if you can.

Point being, I use it to learn it but when I actually need a Windows OS, I go to a machine with Win 7. No, I do not have a touch screen.
Date: March 10, 2013 05:17PM
M A V I C
sekker

I can see the iPad > Win8 bit, but not the Mac part. W8 is painful if you just want to get somewhere with the least amount of effort.

If you are coming from a Mac, you have no preconceived notions on how things 'should work'.

M$ totally changed the interface. If you come from a Mac and it seems odd or different, that's just what you expect.

If you come from XP especially, you are expecting a specific screen and protocol.
Date: March 10, 2013 05:19PM
olnacl
I have it, only so I can help clients that are stuck with it on a new computer. IMHO, it's Win 7 with lipstick and as the old saying goes " something about putting lipstick on a pig". As stated above, why bother if you're going to use a shell to remove the shell - may as well stick with win 7 if you can.

Point being, I use it to learn it but when I actually need a Windows OS, I go to a machine with Win 7. No, I do not have a touch screen.

My business is going to stay with win7 for years and years. The cost of training for using win8 is simply too high as it will require un-training before re-training.

This is a great opportunity for Apple, except that I don't think Apple is a computer company anymore. I suspect they only make Macs for historical reasons and to humor the older Apple customers that kept it afloat before iOS took over as the main business.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2013 05:19PM by sekker.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 10, 2013 05:38PM
sekker
I suspect they only make Macs for historical reasons and to humor the older Apple customers that kept it afloat before iOS took over as the main business.

I expect the next Mac Pro (assuming a new one actually goes on sale) will be the last Mac Pro ever made.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: March 10, 2013 05:45PM
sekker
M A V I C
sekker

If you are coming from a Mac, you have no preconceived notions on how things 'should work'.

M$ totally changed the interface. If you come from a Mac and it seems odd or different, that's just what you expect.

If you come from XP especially, you are expecting a specific screen and protocol.

Not at all. If you're coming from a Mac, you're used to how a Mac works. The only way you could have no preconceived notions on how things 'should work' is to have never seen a computer UI or learned about them. If you've used a mac, all of your preconceived notions will be related to how a Mac works.

Date: March 10, 2013 08:26PM
M A V I C
Not at all. If you're coming from a Mac, you're used to how a Mac works. The only way you could have no preconceived notions on how things 'should work' is to have never seen a computer UI or learned about them. If you've used a mac, all of your preconceived notions will be related to how a Mac works.

I think you are taking me way too literal. If you are a Mac user and are trying a windows machine, you know it's going to suck with everything strange and non-intuitive!
Posted by: decay
Date: March 10, 2013 08:29PM
Imagine if, in the next version of OS X, Apple completely removed the Dock and Finder interface (menus at the top, etc) and replaced it with LaunchPad, with NO option to access files or apps the old way.

That's Win8 compared to previous versions of Windows.

---
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 10, 2013 08:56PM
decay
Imagine if, in the next version of OS X, Apple completely removed the Dock and Finder interface (menus at the top, etc) and replaced it with LaunchPad, with NO option to access files or apps the old way.

I agree, I installed the preview version of it in my MBP in parallels and seriously I don't know what to do with it. I can't see files or anythings. Only some stupid tiles.

I tried control click, double click, hoping it would bring up a menu or something. No.

last night I fired up that virtual machine (first time in 2 months maybe) and I couldn't even find the shut down options. I forced shutdown from parallels.

Fukc Win 8
Posted by: davester
Date: March 10, 2013 10:31PM
I think they did better when they just copied apple, rather than try to invent things themselves.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: March 11, 2013 08:52AM
davester
I think they did better when they just copied apple, rather than try to invent things themselves.

The problem is that Apple isn't making a touch screen Mac!
Date: March 11, 2013 10:46PM
decay

Yep.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 398
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020