advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
To iPhone or not to iPhone? (I'd like your opinion even without the poll)
Posted by: Joey Cupcakes
Date: March 15, 2013 02:52PM
Poll
15 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Switch to iPhone or stay with Android?

Most of my friends and clients know me as a dyed-in-the-wool Mac guy. So, I get a fair amount of surprise when I pull out my Droid instead of an iPhone. Well, my T-Mobile contract is up and it's time to reconsider. I would like an iPhone but I've found that I can sync my calendars and contacts on my HTC MyTouch with my Macs fairly reliably through Google, and most (certainly not all) iPhone apps have their equivalent in the Droid world. Droid's built-in GPS and navigation is a big plus.

Then there's iMaps...

Is there a really compelling reason to switch to iPhone? What bets am I missing? Is iMaps getting better? Is iCloud starting to make sense to anybody? (I do not rely on my phone to be an iPod.)

If not switching to iPhone, then seriously considering a Samsung Galaxy S II, which I can get for free with most plans. I've been reasonably happy with T-Mobile as a carrier, but willing to consider Sprint (Verizon=$$$ and AT&T=angry smiley )

Also considering going with Credo Mobile, which uses the Sprint network but goes more with my green/political bent.

Yeah, I ask a lotta questions. But then you guys have a lotta opinions!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2013 02:54PM by Joey Cupcakes.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: To iPhone or not to iPhone? (I'd like your opinion even without the poll)
Posted by: timg
Date: March 15, 2013 03:11PM
I've got no real input on whether or not you should get an iPhone or an Android and the network will depend on the coverage in your area.

But ... if you do go Android, you should consider a different phone than the SII (I assume you mean SII didn't just miss an 'I'). I've heard from many people the SII is a piece of junk.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 15, 2013 03:19PM
I'd go with Sprint but skip the S2 for at least an S3. timg, they are giving away the S2. I saw it in an ad. Check out the HTC One, which can be pre-ordered.
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 15, 2013 03:19PM
Whichever phone you choose, and either a Droid or an iPhone would be fine, I would not go post paid with a contract. I would buy my phone and sign up with either StraightTalk, Page Plus, or one of the other MVNOs that has the best plan for your usage.

I would base my choice on which carrier has the best coverage where you are. If TMobile works for you, you can get unlimited Talk Text and Data at StraightTalk for $45 a month, if you bring your own TMobile phone.

If you want an iPhone 5 on Verizon, you can get one from StraighTalk, at WalMart, for $675 spread out over 27 months at $25 a month with no interest. Then you pay the $45/month for the unlimited talk, text, and data, for a total of $70 month for the phone and service. The data isn't really unlimited, but they call it unlimited, and you will only get 3G speed. You can also buy a new 4s from Walmart for StraightTalk, and it runs on Verizon's network.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: davester
Date: March 15, 2013 03:49PM
The Maps app fiasco is irrelevant to the decision since you can just use the Google Maps app (or many other maps and navigation apps instead. Also, why is the GPS on Android appealing. Both Android phones and iPhones have GPS chips.

Also, you don't get any phone for "free". The cost is generally built into the contract payments. The upfront cost is only the downpayment, and usually a small fraction of the cost of the phone and thus should be of minimal relevance for discerning between phones.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2013 04:02PM by davester.
Posted by: timg
Date: March 15, 2013 03:54PM
vision63
I'd go with Sprint but skip the S2 for at least an S3. timg, they are giving away the S2. I saw it in an ad. Check out the HTC One, which can be pre-ordered.

From what I've heard, even if they give you the phone, you'd be getting ripped off with the S2.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Date: March 15, 2013 04:25PM
If you like saving money, buy an Android phone outright and skip the contract. I wanted an iPhone but the cost was just not worth the price of admission.

D & C
Date: March 15, 2013 04:26PM
timg
vision63

From what I've heard, even if they give you the phone, you'd be getting ripped off with the S2.

I'm sure it's a ymmv kind of thing. I have a friend that hated hers and switched it for an S3 and another friend that loves his. But I'd steer clear simply because it old and I don't know if it has 4G. iPhone 5s should be close but I would think the iPhone 6 will be the game changer.
Date: March 15, 2013 04:32PM
vision63
I would think the iPhone 6 will be the game changer.

One would hope- but I really can't wait that long. The 2GB built-in memory of my HTC is crippling. I've moved as much as I can to the SD card but there's a lot of stuff that can't be moved or deleted and it's acting erratically.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: March 15, 2013 04:38PM
Joey Cupcakes
The 2GB built-in memory of my HTC is crippling. I've moved as much as I can to the SD card but there's a lot of stuff that can't be moved or deleted and it's acting erratically.

AND you are questioning whether or not you should choose an iPhone? Sorry, with that logic, I can't help you!

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Date: March 15, 2013 04:41PM
WHiiP
Joey Cupcakes
The 2GB built-in memory of my HTC is crippling. I've moved as much as I can to the SD card but there's a lot of stuff that can't be moved or deleted and it's acting erratically.

AND you are questioning whether or not you should choose an iPhone? Sorry, with that logic, I can't help you!

I get your point. That's one reason I don't have an iPhone in the first place. On the other hand, 16GB is NOT 2GB, is it?
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 15, 2013 05:27PM
I think you would be happy with any newer Android phone (running 4.0 or later); however, it'd also be a great time to try out an iPhone.

Then, when you are ready to replace the iPhone, you can likely sell it for about half what you paid for it (typically good resale value on gently used iPhones) and either go Android or iOS as a truly informed consumer.

Whatever you decide, I would only get an LTE phone. No S2 or iP4S or earlier devices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2013 05:27PM by sekker.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: March 15, 2013 06:16PM
davester
Also, you don't get any phone for "free". The cost is generally built into the contract payments. The upfront cost is only the downpayment, and usually a small fraction of the cost of the phone and thus should be of minimal relevance for discerning between phones.

While true, I'd still rather have the Nexus 4 at $300-$350 than an iPhone 4 or 4S for $450+, assuming an unlocked, new phone purchase. Yeah, that's right, the going on three year old iPhone 4 is $450. That's patently absurd.

Recap, choose plan first, but still carefully shop your phones.
Posted by: Black
Date: March 15, 2013 06:17PM
My god man, regardless of the iPhone question, take this opportunity to free yourself of contracts. They are wholly unnecessary.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: March 15, 2013 06:22PM
Black
My god man, regardless of the iPhone question, take this opportunity to free yourself of contracts. They are wholly unnecessary.

I prefer my contract. I prefer unlimited everything. I don't want to have to wonder how much data I'm using or how many minutes I may or may not have left or any of the rest of that. I also need a network that's everywhere I ever go (even unlimited roaming). Right now, that's just Sprint. That's $80 a month (though I have a family plan).
Date: March 15, 2013 06:23PM
sekker
Whatever you decide, I would only get an LTE phone. No S2 or iP4S or earlier devices.

If you have a data cap, I wouldn't bother. Especially since Joey Cupcakes is a T-Mobile user. T-Mobile's speed in some markets in darn near average LTE, for download, upload isn't nearly as fast. When you are getting 5 Mbps and faster download speeds, but only have a 2GB cap, what's the real purpose of LTE and similar faster connections?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2013 06:26PM by silvarios.
Date: March 15, 2013 06:24PM
I like rgG's idea.
Date: March 15, 2013 06:25PM
timg
But ... if you do go Android, you should consider a different phone than the SII (I assume you mean SII didn't just miss an 'I'). I've heard from many people the SII is a piece of junk.

I was not under the impression the SII was a piece of junk. Any links? I've found them pleasant enough to use, but for the high price the SII still commands, I would jump up to the SIII. Especially, if I was buying off contract.
Date: March 15, 2013 06:29PM
Dazed & Confused (Mobile)
If you like saving money, buy an Android phone outright and skip the contract. I wanted an iPhone but the cost was just not worth the price of admission.

Yep. Lot of Android phones on the market to choose from, and a lot of carriers, usually without having to do much hacking to get the phone working on the carrier.
Date: March 15, 2013 06:54PM
WHiiP

I'm not following. There's many phones on the market with more internal storage Android, iPhone, Windows Phone, etc. More internal storage is not a feature found only on the iPhone.
Date: March 15, 2013 07:07PM
timg

Again, I'm unaware of this "fact". The rip off could be there are newer, better phones for similar prices.
Date: March 16, 2013 05:10AM
I ended up getting an S III from T-Mobile. They had a very aggressively priced plan which was actually similar to what rgG was talking about- $50/month, plus buy the phone outright but pay on installment- $150 up front for the S III, then $20/month for 20 months (no interest and you can pay it off early which reduces your monthly back to $50). The plan includes 500 anytime minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data (4G for the first 2GB, 2G thereafter) all of which is well within my normal usage.

At the end of the day I'm paying less than I was per month (including the installment) with better data than I had and a much better phone.

Of course 10 minutes after I make the deal I hear about the S4... but that's life.

Thanks for the advice.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 16, 2013 11:30AM
I really wanted an iPhone, but I could not stomach the cost of the smart-phone plans offered by Sprint. If I'd had more time, I would have considered other options. But I had a VERY pressing need for a working phone with more than 20 minutes of battery life. Otherwise, I'd have looked into abandoning Sprint and getting an unlocked iPhone to use with a less expensive service provider.
Date: March 16, 2013 12:59PM
ka jowct
I really wanted an iPhone, but I could not stomach the cost of the smart-phone plans offered by Sprint. If I'd had more time, I would have considered other options. But I had a VERY pressing need for a working phone with more than 20 minutes of battery life. Otherwise, I'd have looked into abandoning Sprint and getting an unlocked iPhone to use with a less expensive service provider.

Yes, at the end of the day, the service plan offered me by T-Mobile was too reasonable to jump ship at this point.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 16, 2013 02:46PM
Enjoy!

You got a great deal on the SIII because the SIV had just been announced.
Date: March 16, 2013 04:14PM
ka jowct
But I had a VERY pressing need for a working phone with more than 20 minutes of battery life.

Wouldn't pretty much any phone work for that need? Oh, I suppose that's your point. ;)
Date: March 18, 2013 03:33AM
sekker
Enjoy!

You got a great deal on the SIII because the SIV had just been announced.

I'll live.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020