Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Great NPR Article: Unfit for Work The startling rise of disability in America
Posted by: Beam Me Up Scotty
Date: March 23, 2013 10:36AM
[apps.npr.org]

"In the past three decades, the number of Americans who are on disability has skyrocketed. The rise has come even as medical advances have allowed many more people to remain on the job, and new laws have banned workplace discrimination against the disabled. Every month, 14 million people now get a disability check from the government."

Wow, can't get a job? Go on disability...

D & C

Note to Mods: I wasn't sure which forum to post this on. I'm assuming this won't be hottly debated as it's a fact based article. If the need arises please more to the FPR side.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Great NPR Article: Unfit for Work The startling rise of disability in America
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 23, 2013 10:44AM
There is another thread on the other side about this, so please keep this non political. If you want to post a political comment, please post to the other thread.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Re: Great NPR Article: Unfit for Work The startling rise of disability in America
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 23, 2013 10:56AM
The article does not cover the very real restrictions on disability that require lawyers to go after the government to grant you status. It implies that if you get the doc to say disabled , that's it. It's not.

It also implies that those who are identified as disabled are, in the main, not .

Generalizations are never true . winking smiley

I was a bit disappointed . NPR is usually better than this .
Posted by: Beam Me Up Scotty
Date: March 23, 2013 10:58AM
"There is another thread on the other side about this..."

Whoops, sorry for the repost. I did a quick search and didn't see it.

D & C
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 23, 2013 11:51AM
cbelt3

It also implies that those who are identified as disabled are, in the main, not .

In the main? No... absolutely correct.
I know three people who are disabled. Two are genuinely disabled, and can't work (much to their chagrin, I might add). One is a friend of a friend, whom I do not particularly like. He has been "disabled" for 20 years. He is in no way disabled. I won't get into a long debate about what he claims is his "disability", but I will just say that his hobbies which he dives into passionatly would be impossible if he were actually "disabled" by his disability.

The percentage of people who are NOT actually disabled getting on disability IS growing. That is a trend that needs to be squashed, while looking out for the people who are actually disabled.
I'd rather see that guys disability check go to my other friend, who has both traumatic brain injury and spinal cord damage and can't work. He was injured in a car accident on duty with law enforcement.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 23, 2013 12:21PM

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: March 23, 2013 12:55PM
A few days ago, Brian Williams reported on NBC Nightly News that now 1 in 50 children are diagnosed as autistic.

My, how the human race is deteriorating before our very eyes! Or, possibly, we are misguided...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 23, 2013 12:56PM
Paul-
Yep. But unfortunately the malingerers make it difficult for the legitimately disabled. Then lawyers get involved, and the amount you finally get is reduced.

I'm beginning to look into it for my wife. She's got RA, and can't stand for more than a couple of hours. And can't sit either.. desk work is out. She 'retired' (we're in our early 50's ) last summer. Tried to go back to work after her boss begged and begged. Worked exactly 2 and a half hours, and then was bedridden for a week.

The steps are:
1- Find a doctor that will say 'disabled'. No worries there... her doctors yelled at her to retire for four years.
2- Apply for disability.
3- Get rejected.
4- Hire a lawyer.
5- Go through hearings, etc.
6- Two years later get accepted.
7- Pay a percentage of your benefit to your lawyers.

My MIL applied for disability when she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at age 64. It was denied.... three weeks after she died.
Posted by: colonel panic
Date: March 23, 2013 01:38PM
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 23, 2013 01:45PM
There is a big difference between those who can't work and those who can but won't.

No, it does not. That's your inference. What it does say is that there are those who are identified as disabled but are not.

I can't accurately state whether or not the percentage of disability fraud is increasing, but my perception is that it is. I have met more and more people over the years who are claim disability but seem very active when the very nature of their disability should dictate otherwise.

There is a city not to far from me that had several cannabis clubs, four or five I think. The bulk of people picking up medication were young adult males. Some of them could indeed have debilitating pain. Most of them? I don't believe so.

Nor do lawyers seem to be involved in every instance or even most that I'm personally aware of. Small data points. But that tells me your generalizations are false.

Handicap placards and cannabis cards are not difficult to obtain fraudulently. Neither is disability. Unfortunately this can and does make it difficult for some people to legitimately get compensation.

I don't know figures and neither do you, and likely our experiences color our perception regarding them. But disability fraud has been rampant for some time as has the number of people on it. I see no reason to doubt that the percentage of malingerers is not also growing.

But it kind of pisses you off when people actually do make inaccurate generalizations and spout them as absolute fact, doesn't it.

Me, too.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Black
Date: March 23, 2013 05:56PM
RAMd®d

I can't accurately state whether or not the percentage of disability fraud is increasing...

C'mon, just go for it; others here seem to think they have access to all the data, why don't you?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 23, 2013 09:36PM
Dazed & Confused
"There is another thread on the other side about this..."

Whoops, sorry for the repost. I did a quick search and didn't see it.

D & C

If people would title threads correctly like with the word disability in it they would be easier to find.
I had a hard time finding it too.

Personally I think this one should have wound up on the other side too. If people that aren't disabled would
walk or ride in someone else's shoes for a day, get stared at and whispered about behind your back
some may not feel the way they do. I walk with a cane and have to deal with it every time I go out in
public. Articles like this from NPR will only make it worse for those of us who deal with medical problems
365/24/7. Do I think there are people on disability that are not disabled, why sure there are but please
do me a favor and don't judge a book by it's cover. Sorry but after reading the article and reading this
it's been on my mind all day. The article was informative but also somewhat insensitive.

BTW: No I'm not on SS Disability, I draw disability from my Railroad Retirement pension fund. I'm not
eligible to ever draw SS.

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020