Actual Links.:
[www.darkhorizons.com]

[www.thefutoncritic.com]

Read it last night.

BGnR
MeaCulpa! You had a link.

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2006 08:45AM by BigGuynRusty.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Stargate SG-1 cancelled, Atlantis renewed
Posted by: spearmint
Date: August 22, 2006 08:45AM
Bummer I could never watch Atlantis but liked SG-1.
Bye-Bye Richard and Amanda

Da Good Life
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: August 22, 2006 08:48AM
spearmint
Bummer I could never watch Atlantis but liked SG-1.
Bye-Bye Richard and Amanda

I guess you haven't watched in a couple of years.
Richard left in 2004, even took his name off the production company.

BGnR

"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: August 22, 2006 08:49AM
'Bout time.

I've been a bit miffed at them for all the money they spent to get Stargate when they could have kept Farscape going on much less then that and two other shows, besides. And on top of that, the quality of the show has been in steep decline and Atlantis is little more than the same old cr@p warmed over.

I'm not saying that Stargate hasn't had a few good episodes since Sci-Fi picked it up. But come on -- it's been a warmed over corpse since Anderson left and the best thing about it lately has been Claudia Black for eye candy and comedy relief.

I just hope that a) Claudia gets some regular work in the states now and b) The news about Atlantis' lack of demise has been greatly exaggerated.
Date: August 22, 2006 08:50AM
MacMagus
'Bout time.

I've been a bit miffed at them for all the money they spent to get Stargate when they could have kept Farscape going on much less then that and two other shows,.

Farscape was brilliant!

BGnR

Date: August 22, 2006 08:54AM
Richard made a few guest appearances in the last few years.

Da Good Life
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: August 22, 2006 09:08AM
Sci-Fi, as a network, has gone downhill. I have little reason left to watch after SG-1 is off air.

I admit that the show lost something when Richard Dean left, but there are still decent storylines on Stargate. How Atlantis survived past the first season is beyond me - everything is so predictable and fake and there has never been any chemistry between the cast.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 22, 2006 09:20AM
Well, crap. I like Stargate. No series ever had 200 great episodes, but overall I found it entertaining and enjoyable, much more so than Atlantis. I liked the addition of Claudia Black and thought if they would ever get off the "Ori" story line that the plot lines would improve. I guess I will just have to be happy with 200+ re-run episodes.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: August 22, 2006 09:22AM
Marc Anthony
Sci-Fi, as a network, has gone downhill. I have little reason left to watch after SG-1 is off air.

I admit that the show lost something when Richard Dean left, but there are still decent storylines on Stargate. How Atlantis survived past the first season is beyond me - everything is so predictable and fake and there has never been any chemistry between the cast.

Does David Hewlett, AKA Dr. MacKay, have pictures of the producers with some sort of gerbils performing unspeakable acts? His persona on Atlantis drive me up the wall! His bitching, and moaning, and constant chatter is nothing short highly irritating!
SG1 was making a steady climb back up after several cast changes, Richard Dean being the biggest, Ben Browder, and Claudia Black were doing an admirable job given the poor writing, and the lackluster acting from the shows veterans, it seems the veteran cast were dragged kicking and screaming through the first episodes with Ben, and Claudia.
Also, if Michael Shanks leaves again, do not let him come back! Let Corin Nemec come back and replace him. I am really tired of Shanks piss poor imitation of the James Spader character from the movie.

BGnR

Date: August 22, 2006 09:26AM
Sci-Fi and its Ripley's Believe It or Not can go jump. However those Sat. Nite schlock movies still will probably draw me in. Like watching a car crash.

Da Good Life
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 22, 2006 10:10AM
I've been a bit miffed at them for all the money they spent to get Stargate when they could have kept Farscape going on much less then that and two other shows, besides.

Wow, I was miffed at them for wasting even a second of airtime on Farce Cape, a show whose appeal is unfathomable (uinless you are just crazy about screaming, excessive makeup, and muppets). Bringing in two of the leftovers from that mess (especially tedious Ben Browder) to SG-1 was the final nail in the coffin.

I stopped watching SG1 when Richard Dean Anderson left. And I found the last season in which he appeared disappointing; he was already giving himself much less of a role.

I think the article was correct, too, in suggesting that USA is winning that slot with Monk. I have never watched Battlestar Galactica, so its presence or abcsence in the lineup has had no effect on whether I watch Stargate.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 22, 2006 10:58AM
Painkiller Jane made it to a series?

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 22, 2006 11:04AM
Farscape was brilliant, great writing, great bad guys.
Most folks don't get it because it is very complex, and very deep.
If it was so bad, why has every SciFi show written after it take major elements from the show?
Just as Red Dwarf was ripped off by the Star Trek franchise, Farscape was ripped by BSG, SG1, and Atlantis.

BGnR

Posted by: Spiff
Date: August 22, 2006 11:22AM
Farscape was THE best Sci Fi Show out there. Hands down. I bought all the seasons on DVD and the finale mini series (which, admittedly, was not as good). Too bad it did not continue. *sigh*
Date: August 22, 2006 11:28AM
Farscape was great. . .there is really not that much originality in scifi since most story concepts have been done so yes it was similiar to past scifi stuff but IMHO it was done well. . .the ending wasn't as good, probably because it was kinda abruptly ending and maybe pieced together but still was good compared to a LOT of cr*p that scifi channel keeps on. . .they have bad movies and bad original series. . .

Date: August 22, 2006 11:41AM
Why does Spike have Startrek instead of Sci-Fi?
Date: August 22, 2006 12:01PM
spearmint
Why does Spike have Startrek instead of Sci-Fi?

$$$$$!!

Why does G4TV have both Star Trek TOS, and TNG??
$$$$$!!

BGnR

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 22, 2006 12:04PM
Some of you are on crank or something. Farscape was just bloody awful. So there.
Date: August 22, 2006 12:07PM
nuh. . .ugh. . .

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 22, 2006 12:19PM
Original does not necessarily equal Good.

I was not a fan of Farscape... though I did respect it's originality.
I didn't think it was a particularly GOOD show... Original, yes, visually appealing, very... but not good.

Let the tar be warmed, and the feathers be gathered, but that's my opinion.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 22, 2006 02:22PM
I could not get into Farscape. I tried a few times, but for some reason it had the same one-room feel of Earth Final SomethingOrOther or whatever that Aliens befriend/occupy/dominate Earth thing was.

I just did not like a minute of it. Now if they had big bare-ish brested babes, I would have tried harder to like it.

And I'm really surprised that SG-1 lasted as long as it did without RD. I liked the show a lot, but mainly because if his presence and chemistry.

I'm awaiting Newt to post deals on the Seasons 3 and beyond DVDs.

(I got 1 & 2 on the last deal.)

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 22, 2006 04:26PM
SG-1 is out least through season 8.

And the first half of season 2 of BSG. And season 1 of Atlantis. FWIW.
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: August 22, 2006 05:56PM
Farscape was one of the best Sci-fi shows out there.

Too bad out SG-1. The writing went downhill in Season 9, but I think Ben Browder could have brought together if the plot line wasn't so lame of late. Come on, the 200th episode showed that the writers have lost it.

Bryan
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 22, 2006 09:04PM
Original, brilliant, how about: LEXX
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 22, 2006 10:17PM
Racer, I know that there are a lot more seasons of SG-1, but I'm waiting for a *deal*.

Seasons 3 and beyond are all $35 and more. Newt posted a link sometime ago that got me Seasons 1 & 2 for $25 apiece.

I jumped, and am poised.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 22, 2006 11:09PM
search on half.com perhaps?
Posted by: GeneL
Date: August 23, 2006 05:25PM
I hav been feeling that all the shows on SciFi have been missing the target for quite a while now.

There will be one good show in any of their series and then the next will suck or even in one show I'll be enjoying watching and then something jars me out of the "this is a good show" zone.

BGnR's comments about McKay are perfect examples of the character emphasis that has spoiled many a good episode for me.

I hate to say this, but it seems to me that poor writing is at the heart of the problem. It may be due to "bean counter' mentality over cotrolling the direction of the writing.

Another example of the problem is Eureka. I like this show, but again, the stories and characters are all over the place and full of cliche´s.

As far as Monk, I enjoyed the show initialy, but the repetitious focus on Monk's OCD has become irritating this season to the point of being totally ridiculous.

It seems as if most of the writing on TV has lately lost the ability to use subtlety in getting a point across. Every character facet or plot concept has to driven home with a sledgehammer.

Too bad, but not unexpected considering the management of most networks.

Favorite shows in recent times:

Deadwood, Rome, Rescue Me, Sharpe's Rifles (BBC series), Criminal Minds, Cold Case, Saved, Supernatural, The Shield, So You Think You Can Dance, House, Huff and Sponge Bob.

Also watched regularly:

Bones, The 4400, Dead Zone, Weeds, Daily Show, Crossing Jordan, The Unit, Numbers, Kyle XY, Psych, Life on Mars (BBC), The Closer, Three Moons over Milford, Hustle, SG-1 and SG- Atlantis (I'm sure there are some I missed becase they are on hiatus).

As I always say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

GeneL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020