Posted by: decocritter
Date: April 10, 2013 05:20PM
and Mesa
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is US AIR a decent airline
Date: April 10, 2013 05:26PM
I never travel.

Taking tiny easy pet. Seat assignments and other advice?
Date: April 10, 2013 05:29PM
Do yo buy insurance for $20 for cancellation
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 10, 2013 05:36PM
They are typical. My last flight with USAir was delayed an hour because they were waiting for an airplane part to take with needed for a plane at our destination. Our flight was considered 'on-time' because it was a mechanical issue even though the problem was not with our plane.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 10, 2013 05:41PM
US Air used to be a good airline but they've fallen quite a bit. Their planes still get from point A to point B so they're no worse than other airlines in that respect. They've filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection 2 or 3 times in the last 10 years I think. They've also merged and separated from several other airlines in an effort to remain relevant. Back when they were based in Pittsburgh they were great. They later moved their headquarters around like a game of hotpotato. I think it is now somewhere in the the Carolinas. It was Philly briefly too. I don't expect them to be around much longer.

Seating Assignments:
I always try to get an aisle seat because it is easier to get in/out, more head room, and faster access to overhead bins.

Insurance:
Check to see if anything is available through your credit card. AmEx used to offer some included insurance options I believe.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: dk62
Date: April 10, 2013 05:52PM
I love them for a number of reasons, all of which have to do with the way they are treating frequent fliers, so probably irrelevant to you. No on-board entertainment and I think no food in coach. Philly (a hub together with Charlotte and Phoenix) can sometimes be a pain because of long takeoff lines and luggage can take a long time to appear. I would say they are better than United, but if i travel overseas i tend to choose another airline from the same alliance.

And they will not be around much longer, merging with American in half a year or so. Seating same as other airlines, avoid middle, exit row best but cannot get it without ff status, i prefer window so not to be bothered by people with small bladders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2013 05:55PM by dk62.
Posted by: rz
Date: April 10, 2013 07:25PM
USAir and United are supposedly merging to become the biggest airline in the US. If I'm not mistaken, they are going to keep the United name.
Posted by: microchip
Date: April 10, 2013 07:38PM
USAir is US Airways. They're merging with American Airlines.

Personally, I fly United (flew 50k last year), and I generally enjoy them (but their route network is also perfect for where I want to fly).

I took one segment on US Airways. They'll get you from point A to B fine. While trying to sell you on their credit card. In uncomfortable seats (A321). And there's no water in the lavatories.

Mesa is just a regional carrier, they're all as-advertised. Time spent on a small plane with no amenities.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 10, 2013 07:56PM
They had at least one good pilot.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 10, 2013 09:05PM
There are no decent domestic airlines, with the possible exception of Southwest.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 10, 2013 10:23PM
I think it's American and US Airways that are merging. I didn't read further, but I thought they were keeping the American name.

[fficial&client=firefox-a" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.google.com]
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: April 11, 2013 01:02AM
A couple of years ago a friend of mine flew for the first time, Reno to San Francisco and back. When I asked him what he thought of the experience his reply was "It was just like riding in a big, dirty bus in the sky". While I doubt any of the airlines would care to use that line in their advertising, I thought it summed up the current air travel experience in "Coach" class, regardless of the specific airline, with stunning accuracy. As with a bus ride, you can expect to get from point "A" to point "B" and that's about it.

I always buy the travel insurance... just in case.

If you think you'll be flying over something worth looking at, go for a window seat. Otherwise go for an aisle seat, but know that you will be asked to get up a time or two to let your seatmates go to the restroom.

Be sure to pack chewing gum (to help your ears acclimate to the pressure changes), something to pass the time (reading material and/or a puzzle book. I prefer Sudoku.), and some sort of non-messy snack food since any food the airline offers as "buy-on-board" in Coach class is overpriced and usually not very good.

Pending various official approvals, US Airways will be merging with American Airlines in the future but they remain separate entities at present.
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: April 11, 2013 08:47AM
I flew on USAir from1996-2008, starting with 3 times a year and jumping to 10x in 2003.

They were fine for a while, decent planes, nice staff, upgrades to 1st class for frequent flyers.

They slowly turned into a city bus in the sky. Part had to do with the class of people that could afford to fly, part with them adding more seats pushing customers closer together.

I'm sure that's the general view of all domestic airlines now, glad I don't fly anymore, it used to be fun, not now.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: April 11, 2013 08:53AM
I used to fly them a lot until they merged with US West - and then they went downhill. I switched to Delta and never looked back.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 11, 2013 10:59AM
N-OS,

My own experiences with Southwest must differ from yours. I've flown with them twice. The first time was mediocre at best and the only reason I went with them was due to cost and flight availability. The best I can say is that they got me from California to Arizona safe and sound. That was many many years ago.

More recently - two years ago to be exact - the experience was far far worse. I traveled with them from San Francisco to San Diego. Passengers were herded like cattle onto the plain. The staff did nothing about problem passengers creating disturbances and severe "traffic" jams during the boarding process. It was literally an everyone for him/herself situation. All in all, it was one of the worst experiences I've had on a plane in a long time.

I contacted Southwest about it and they apologized in a very cavalier manner. As a result, I will not fly with them again even if I have to pay more for a similar flight from a different airline.

Robert
Posted by: billb
Date: April 11, 2013 11:15AM
Robert M
I traveled with them from San Francisco to San Diego. Passengers were herded like cattle onto the plain.

Robert

That's pretty much the definition of Airbus and Boeing.

I hope it was a sunny day.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 368
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020