advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: Adding more subforums
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: May 03, 2013 11:48PM
I agree with the many posters who prefer to stay with the current format. However, I don't quite agree that the sub-division of the forums was what "killed" DM. To my recollection, what really killed DM was uneven moderation, outright censorship, draconian "rules" and a general aversion to the considerations of the people who made that forum the success that it was: the posters.

I would like to see this place remain the same. The mix of deals, tips and more is just like real life: a bit wacky and chaotic, but everyone usually gets along and the brain resource available is always helpful. Truth is, here you can ask a question or help with almost any subject and someone will have some knowledge to share and help you. Look through the forum and array of topics and fields is truly amazing.

I also agree with Davester's comments regarding the political side of the forum. As someone who participates on that side very frequently (and ends up being in conflict with a number of other posters), I like the relative "open season" that side enjoys, and for the most part, that side is tempered and things don't usually degenerate to the level seen in forums/comment sections elsewhere on the web.

What I am disappointed in is how the level of discourse on the political side has effected how some posters there handle topic discussions here. Sadly, some of these people cannot separate themselves from whatever position they are in disagreement on the political side.

As to eliminating the political side, I'm okay with that. While I do enjoy the political discourse there, if people cannot learn to live (and get along) with people they disagree with, then that's truly a shame.

I didn't realize until I read this thread that there are people who "report" others and essentially tattletale. What I've always liked historically about the political side was the relative soft gloves most people used there. Though lately - especially after the events of this past November, things have become very much an "us vs them" kind of mentality. That there can be no common understanding or agreement on any issue. That once you've found someone you disagree with one one subject then you must always disagree with that person on any subject. Sad.

I would prefer that moderation be left to letting people handle themselves appropriately. I've always tried to be respectful of others opinions and not resorted to name-calling (though I have failed at that from time to time). But to "report" someone to moderators? The word that comes to mind would be name calling!

Black
Threads are auto-hidden with a certain number of user reports. Why does the ranting side need to be moderated at all? Just make a decision not to devote resources, and let the users effectively 'flag' offensive posts down, like on craigslist. The system is already in place, nothing to do.

I think this approach is the wrong approach. The beauty of the political side is the ability of those in the minority to voice their position (no matter how idiotic someone might think of that position). To allow what is essentially a popularity rating dictate what is kept and what is deleted means that open discourse is no longer possible. As anyone who has spent any time on the political side knows, there is no such thing as objectivity to what "offends" people.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 04, 2013 12:18AM
I have rarely reported anyone except for the time someone here used my real name (they know who they are and they know I will never forgive or forget). And someone made blatant sexual remarks to me on several occasions and I reported those. I probably reported posts a few other times, but as a rule I wouldn't resort to that because it is indeed tattle taling.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 04, 2013 12:36AM
Hey now, those salacious comments I made were actually aimed at Swampy. I blame it on the meds.

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi
Posted by: MysteryGuest
Date: May 04, 2013 02:35AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Honestly, I leave this place for a day and it falls apart.
Posted by: RE:up
Date: May 04, 2013 03:41AM
Carnos Jax
Larry, unfortunately without such a side to the forum, political posts will then leak onto this side and poison it. This is why Craigslist originally had a section for 'hookers'. When they eliminated that, the hookers now advertise in the regular personals section.

Oh, Yes!!!
Please, please, please can we have a section for hookers?!
I suppose we'll have to supply our own boozzz though.wiggle smiley

{Sorry, the filter won't accept boos.}
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: May 04, 2013 06:07AM
I voted.

But I needed to make my presence known in what might be the longest thread ever in this forum! ban smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: billb
Date: May 04, 2013 07:05AM
The UnDoug
OWC Larry

Maybe it's time for it to be more of an anything goes. Pay to play/see. If you don't like it - don't be a part of it. Maybe it's $1.99 a month or $9.99 a year. I don't know. I do know it sucks that people can't stick to their own 'facts' - right or wrong - and agree or agree to disagree vs. bring it down to personal snipes and worse. If it wasn't anonymous, bet would be a lot different too.

Maybe you should charge to report posts. Only on the ranting side. Charge .99 per report. That way people can either tough it out, get lost, or waste their money.
One could also charge the miscreant for whom the complaint was lodged. Punish bad behaviour . Parents and nannies still do that don't they ?
Tips and deals should be couched amongst hurled insults and racist and bigotted derision ?
Posted by: stephen
Date: May 04, 2013 08:52AM
M A V I C
My opinion on this:
1. We don't have the amount of traffic where splitting boards is needed
2. We don't have the features other forums have to allow multiple ways to surf a forum and ignore board/categories/subforums if they wish (Eg SMF's "view unread topics")
3. I clearly remember the backlash and number of users who really disliked the old place splitting up the forum

What he said.
Posted by: Black
Date: May 04, 2013 08:55AM
Mac-A-Matic

I didn't realize until I read this thread that there are people who "report" others and essentially tattletale.

Sorry, I don't believe you.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 04, 2013 09:06AM
Black
Mac-A-Matic

I didn't realize until I read this thread that there are people who "report" others and essentially tattletale.

I'm telling.

Posted by: mspace
Date: May 04, 2013 09:19AM
PeterB
Zoidberg
Aw, come on. The whole reason this forum started was because of splintering at the old place. Now that that's died off, there's a call to do the same thing here?

Resounding No from me -- and it looks like I'm not alone, according to the current counts.

I said it before back there, and I'll say it again here: I like the forum as is -- like a cocktail party, where I can drift the room and pick up on conversations and decide if I want to be a part of them (with the heavy political arguing going on in the kitchen, i.e., "other side " ) .

agree smiley This. Zoid said it better than I could have.

agree smiley
Yes. This. Thanks!
Date: May 04, 2013 09:44AM
{Sorry, the filter won't accept boos.}

The filter allows slang for ladies of the night, but not for alcoholic beverages? What kind of weirdass filter is this?

Date: May 04, 2013 09:55AM
billb
The UnDoug
OWC Larry

Maybe it's time for it to be more of an anything goes. Pay to play/see. If you don't like it - don't be a part of it. Maybe it's $1.99 a month or $9.99 a year. I don't know. I do know it sucks that people can't stick to their own 'facts' - right or wrong - and agree or agree to disagree vs. bring it down to personal snipes and worse. If it wasn't anonymous, bet would be a lot different too.

Maybe you should charge to report posts. Only on the ranting side. Charge .99 per report. That way people can either tough it out, get lost, or waste their money.
One could also charge the miscreant for whom the complaint was lodged. Punish bad behaviour . Parents and nannies still do that don't they ?
Tips and deals should be couched amongst hurled insults and racist and bigotted derision ?

If you hate the folks on the other side so much, why is it that you spend 24 hours a day over there and make comments on every single thread? What are you going to do with yourself if it goes away?

Date: May 04, 2013 10:00AM
$tevie
billb
The UnDoug
OWC Larry

If you hate the folks on the other side so much, why is it that you spend 24 hours a day over there and make comments on every single thread? What are you going to do with yourself if it goes away?
He will give this forum "the billb treatment" and pretty soon everyone will be begging to have the ranting forum reactivated :-)

Date: May 04, 2013 10:18AM
Black
$tevie
billb
The UnDoug
OWC Larry

He will give this forum "the billb treatment" and pretty soon everyone will be begging to have the ranting forum reactivated :-)

It is OWC's house, not yours.
I don't know why that concept is so hard for you to understand.
Date: May 04, 2013 10:23AM
billb
Black
$tevie
billb
The UnDoug
OWC Larry

Who is this directed at?

Date: May 04, 2013 10:33AM
Black
billb
Black
$tevie
billb
The UnDoug
OWC Larry

Who is this directed at?

Not you Howard.
You're generally and usually a pretty classy person.
At least in my book.
Posted by: DRR
Date: May 04, 2013 10:37AM
I don't get it. If the issue is that the Political Forum requires a disproportionate number of hours to maintain and administer (certainly don't argue this point), how would creating MORE subforums alleviate that problem?
Date: May 04, 2013 10:51AM
Black
billb
Black
$tevie
billb
The UnDoug
OWC Larry

Who is this directed at?

I understand that perfectly, billb. I'm already resigned to the other side going away.

What I don't understand is why you constantly insult the people who use that forum and then have the nerve to complain that people are insulting people. You spend your days and nights telling us how awful we all are. Those are INSULTS. Before you talk about the speck in my eye, get the log out of yours.

Posted by: davester
Date: May 04, 2013 11:09AM
Can we all just get along

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 04, 2013 11:19AM
I just want to shamelessly use this opportunity to remind everyone that Free Item Monday is coming up. If you have something to give away, please post it tomorrow and make someone's day. Thanks

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2013 11:28AM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: May 04, 2013 11:21AM
Actually tomorrow is Sunday.

Date: May 04, 2013 11:23AM
davester

No, we cannot. But does it matter? I don't have to have Thanksgiving dinner with anyone here.

Date: May 04, 2013 11:31AM
$tevie
davester

No, we cannot. But does it matter? I don't have to have Thanksgiving dinner with anyone here.

As noted by others about a zillion times previously in this thread, compared to the vast majority of internet discourse, this is getting along.

Posted by: sekker
Date: May 04, 2013 11:46AM
Black
Mac-A-Matic

I'm with Mac-A-Matic on this. So sorry the mods have had to deal with these issues.

I wasted about 3 hours 'babysitting' people at work yesterday, but those were in person issues. I'd hate to be a virtual babysitter, too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2013 11:47AM by sekker.
Posted by: carl
Date: May 04, 2013 12:04PM
I don't post very often, but I read posts every day, some times several times a day. This is a great site just the way it is. Please don't change it.
Posted by: davester
Date: May 04, 2013 12:38PM
sekker
Black
Mac-A-Matic

I'm with Mac-A-Matic on this. So sorry the mods have had to deal with these issues.

I wasted about 3 hours 'babysitting' people at work yesterday, but those were in person issues. I'd hate to be a virtual babysitter, too!

In Black's Mac-a-Matic's defense, I didn't realize that this was a significant issue. Those people need to grow up. I think people who harass the mods with unwarranted complaints should be given a couple of stern warnings and after that send them to the gulag.

Edit: Oops, I meant to say "In Mac-a-matic's defense".

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2013 12:51PM by davester.
Date: May 04, 2013 12:46PM
davester
sekker
Black
Mac-A-Matic

In Black's defense, I didn't realize that this was a significant issue. Those people need to grow up. I think people who harass the mods with unwarranted complaints should be given a couple of stern warnings and after that send them to the gulag.

You guys (sekker/davester) are being played. What I'm referring to are the folks who want =only= to get the ranting forum shut down because they perceive it to be left-leaning. So they intentionally provoke and provoke until they have a reason to hammer the "report' link and complain to Larry directly that everyone's mean to them. The characterization that moderation resources are being devoted to people who are thin-skinned crybabies is not an accurate portrayal of who may be causing headaches and why they're doing it.

Posted by: numbered
Date: May 04, 2013 01:00PM
Black
What I'm referring to are the folks who want =only= to get the ranting forum shut down because they perceive it to be left-leaning. So they intentionally provoke and provoke until they have a reason to hammer the "report' link and complain to Larry directly that everyone's mean to them. The characterization that moderation resources are being devoted to people who are thin-skinned crybabies is not an accurate portrayal of who may be causing headaches and why they're doing it.

I have been wondering what prompted the whole thread....and 194 posts into the mission Black finally illuminates the problem.

So, now, what do we do? It is clearly a problem for our hosts or they would not have started the thread. But it sounds like the kind of sophisticated trolling that kills many good virtual places....

And I am not aware of any great prescriptions. Almost all have negative side effects.
Posted by: max
Date: May 04, 2013 01:30PM
davester

In Mac-a-Matic's defense, I didn't realize that this was a significant issue. Those people need to grow up. I think people who harass the mods with unwarranted complaints should be given a couple of stern warnings and after that send them to the gulag.

That is what I called for couple pages back,

ditch the snitch....
Date: May 04, 2013 01:46PM
max
davester

In Mac-a-Matic's defense, I didn't realize that this was a significant issue. Those people need to grow up. I think people who harass the mods with unwarranted complaints should be given a couple of stern warnings and after that send them to the gulag.

That is what I called for couple pages back,

ditch the snitch....

It's (they) are not who you think it is.

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 04, 2013 02:15PM
Black
$tevie
davester

As noted by others about a zillion times previously in this thread, compared to the vast majority of internet discourse, this is getting along.

Exactly. To co-opt others words, the political side of this forum is "unicorns & rainbows" compared to anything I've ever seen on the Internet.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: May 04, 2013 02:17PM
$tevie
...It's (they) are not who you think it is.

In this context, does it really matter who they are?
If they're being a PITA to the moderators, then I see nothing wrong with throwing them under bus/voting them off the island/etc.
Date: May 04, 2013 02:22PM
Black
davester
sekker
Black
Mac-A-Matic

In Black's defense, I didn't realize that this was a significant issue. Those people need to grow up. I think people who harass the mods with unwarranted complaints should be given a couple of stern warnings and after that send them to the gulag.

You guys (sekker/davester) are being played. What I'm referring to are the folks who want =only= to get the ranting forum shut down because they perceive it to be left-leaning. So they intentionally provoke and provoke until they have a reason to hammer the "report' link and complain to Larry directly that everyone's mean to them. The characterization that moderation resources are being devoted to people who are thin-skinned crybabies is not an accurate portrayal of who may be causing headaches and why they're doing it.

Exactly what is going on here. There are certain members on the right who perceive the political side to be left biased. Bunch of horse dookey. When the significant majority of Mac users are left leaning, any political forum is gonna take on that tenor (when you have individuals on both sides of the spectrum express their opinions equivalently, then naturally the forum will take on an 'atmosphere' of the majority).

Facing this fact, they've (openly in the past) declared it's their mission to get the political side shut down, and they do it just like Black described. In the end, they will have just played the system.
Date: May 04, 2013 02:24PM
FWIW, I've never reported anything other than spam, and just one instance of a single post from one individual in all my years here...like I said, this place is unicorns & rainbows.
Date: May 04, 2013 02:34PM
SDGuy
$tevie

If they're being a PITA to the moderators, then I see nothing wrong with throwing them under bus/voting them off the island/etc.

I agree. I just know that Max is laboring under a misapprehension and I'm letting him know.

Date: May 04, 2013 02:38PM
Carnos Jax
Exactly what is going on here. There are certain members on the right who perceive the political side to be left biased. Bunch of horse dookey. When the significant majority of Mac users are left leaning, any political forum is gonna take on that tenor (when you have individuals on both sides of the spectrum express their opinions equivalently, then naturally the forum will take on an 'atmosphere' of the majority).

Facing this fact, they've (openly in the past) declared it's their mission to get the political side shut down, and they do it just like Black described. In the end, they will have just played the system.

I've mentioned this before, so sorry for the repetition. There are folks who figure that as long as they don't name names, they can get away with insults, and they can do that until the recipients get angry and then they cry foul. For example: "Libtards do this" Libtards do that" "Lefties are this" "Lefties are that" "Dems do this" Dems are that" "Righty, you suck" "OMG, why are you being mean to me?????"

Posted by: wurm
Date: May 04, 2013 02:59PM
I've already voted (for no change), but like WHiiP, I had to jump into the pool just to say I was a part of this megathread.

I also think that more subforums are a bad idea. Maybe all we need is a reminder to be a little more descriptive in Subject lines. Frankly, I love the fact that I can ask a question about damn near any subject and I'm likely to get several good answers.
Posted by: kap
Date: May 04, 2013 03:05PM
Leave it be. I am tired of packing and moving.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Spock
Date: May 04, 2013 03:11PM
Carnos Jax
FWIW, I've never reported anything other than spam ... in all my years here...like I said, this place is unicorns & rainbows.

Ditto.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 04, 2013 03:46PM
Date: May 04, 2013 04:12PM
$tevie
I agree. I just know that Max is laboring under a misapprehension and I'm letting him know.

Why am I, I dont care who they are.
I never cried for my mommy
If you cannot take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
I have no misapprehensions. I dont care who they are.

Oh, wait, you are one, are you not?
That is hysterical. Now all the protestations make sense.
Are you a secret right winger (according to Howard)?....

SDGuy
$tevie

Exactly, it does not matter who they are.
Ditch them.....
Date: May 04, 2013 04:34PM
freeradical

Wow, is that u rad? That's cool.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: May 04, 2013 04:35PM
Carnos Jax
freeradical

I was thinking the same thing this dude is l@@@king very wradical *(:>*
Also I was thinking there is a huge OSHA violation for all that hardware
being on that wooden table without a skyhook *(:>*

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2013 04:38PM by haikuman.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: May 04, 2013 04:56PM
As a former active poster & now a mere lurker, I say NO to fragmentation.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 04, 2013 05:35PM
haikuman
Carnos Jax
freeradical

I'm guessing that's Art Bell and freerad was referring to someone's conspiracy theory. I think he might live in your neighborhood, Rudie.
Re: Adding more subforums - UPDATE - NOT CHANGING
Date: May 04, 2013 05:56PM

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Date: May 04, 2013 06:06PM
How was anyone to know that was Art Bell, whoever that is.

Date: May 04, 2013 06:09PM
Dennis S
haikuman
Carnos Jax
freeradical

I'm guessing that's Art Bell and freerad was referring to someone's conspiracy theory. I think he might live in your neighborhood, Rudie.
Excellent, Dennis....
Re: Adding more subforums - UPDATE - NOT CHANGING
Date: May 04, 2013 06:21PM
[en.wikipedia.org]

Arthur William "Art" Bell, III (born June 17, 1945) is an American broadcaster and author known primarily as one of the founders and the original host of the paranormal-themed radio program Coast to Coast AM.[3] He also created and formerly hosted its companion show Dreamland. Semi-retired from Coast to Coast AM since 2003, he hosted the show many weekends for the following four years. He announced his retirement from weekend hosting on July 1, 2007, but occasionally serves as a guest host. He attributed the reason for this latest retirement to a desire to spend time with his new wife and his daughter, born May 30, 2007. He added that unlike his previous "retirements," this one will stand, while leaving open the option to return. Classic Bell-hosted episodes of Coast to Coast AM can be heard in some markets on Saturday nights under the name Somewhere in Time.

Bell founded and was the original owner of Pahrump, Nevada-based radio station KNYE 95.1 FM. His broadcast studio and transmitter were located near his home in Pahrump while he hosted Coast to Coast AM except from June to December 2006, when he lived in the Philippines. He returned to the Philippines March 10, 2009 with his family after having significant difficulties obtaining a U.S. visa for his wife Airyn.[4]

Thanks for the heads up Dennis *(:>*

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2013 06:22PM by haikuman.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020