advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
No, not your kitchen
Posted by: Greg the dogsitter
Date: August 25, 2006 08:44AM
If you work in a large corporation, with lots of corporate people, on one large corporate floor of one large corporate building...

...please don't leave your dirty dishes in the sink.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: No, not your kitchen
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 25, 2006 08:59AM
Which allows me to tell my disgusting office kitchen story.

I worked at one point in an old, large townhouse that had been converted to offices. There was a "kitchen" on the second floor, with a microwave and a table and chairs and an actual kitchen sink. With no hot water. Why there was no hot water, and why it was never fixed, I do not know.

People would drink coffee from the communal mugs and then throw them in the sink to let the handy-man-janitor-housekeeper guy wash them. He was about one step above a street person, in his dirty work clothes, with a recurring boil on his nose. He washed the cups, and all the other dishes that people threw in the sink, with a dirty old rag, dishwashing liquid, and cold water.

I never let him anywhere near my cup, which I bought for myself and which I washed in the downstairs bathroom in blazing hot water.

I still can't believe that people can be so lazy that they'd rather watch this guy smearing dirty cold suds around on their mugs than to wash them themselves. It still grosses me out and it's been almost 20 years now.

Posted by: JoeM
Date: August 25, 2006 09:07AM
...and stop stealing my Silk hazelnut soy milk, fer chrissakes!!

JoeM
Posted by: kap
Date: August 25, 2006 09:14AM
I asked my college roommate to wash the dishes left over from constant overnight parties. The pile got higher each passing day! I moved into my own apartment after one semester.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: August 25, 2006 09:28AM
Should I mention the fact that WE DO HAVE HOT WATER, SOAP AND NICE CLEAN SPONGES IN THE NEXT ROOM... However, only two of us seem to empty the pot and toss the coffee grounds... So, WE STOPPED... We stopped drinking the coffee... We stopped making it... And it grew mold... more mold even the coffee grounds grew mold... The one's that drank it the most just ignored it... Then one day, my coworker and I cleaned it very very very good, ran vinegar through it about 2-3 times and water through it another 2-3 times... Took the Pot and the Guts home and ran that through our dishwashers... Brought it back and low and behold... They (not us) started making coffee again (we didn't drink it)... Low and behold it looked like a science experiment again... So, we ignored it for 1-2 months... Then we finally dumped it, rinsed it and left the pot in the other room...

Everyone keeps asking "where is the pot"... We keep saying "It's in the sink right where we left it after we dumped the mold out..."

I drink one cup before I leave in the morning and another cup for 35 cents out of the vending machine... I love brewed coffee but refuse to deal w/ lazy people.

Oh, and the one time I said "next time we hire a gopher up here could we please put on her job description something about dumping the pot at the end of the day" (NOT TO MAKE COFFEE, JUST DUMP IT...) One of the lazy's answered "we don't have servants up here"...

Go figure...

Bill
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 25, 2006 10:05AM
Same experiences, so now I've got a 1 cup coffee maker in my office (Waring Pro from Costco--$20; on clearance this week for $12!). Also brought in a mini refrig.
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: August 25, 2006 10:24AM
Add me to the minifridge in the office group.

Strength without compassion is brutality. Compassion without strength is weakness.

We must train our minds to desire what the situation demands.
Date: August 25, 2006 10:58AM
I've got my own coffee maker, too. I do not have my own fridge. Unless the fact that I am the only one who cleans and/or defrosts the office fridge makes it "mine".
Posted by: kap
Date: August 25, 2006 11:35AM
A month after I started my new job in an office composed of 12 staff members, I contributed my share to purchase a mini fridge and a microwave. I did not have a chance to use it and never did after I witnessed how gross both appliances were after a week of usage by other employees. Apparently, the posted sign "Pick up after yourself. Your mother does not live here." wasn't working.

SoCal for now.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2006 11:37AM by kap.
Posted by: Wolf Larsen
Date: August 25, 2006 12:25PM
No so bad, but irritating none the less: people that dump the last cup of decaf/regular into the regular/decaf pot before making a new (if they make a new one). If I wanted regular, I would pour it into my cup and if I want decaf, I will pour it into my cup, don't suprise me!
Posted by: dmann
Date: August 25, 2006 01:41PM
Yep- I have had the same gross experiences at every office I have ever worked at.

We were pretty lucky at one job- the woman who did most of our cleaning was a natural born mother hen. She would walk around during lunch and break time and start bussing tables and washing dishes. She would even wash personal tupperware containers for those who brown bagged it. Of course, if she missed a day of work, nobody would dream of cleaning up after themselves much less their coworkers.

Now that I work at home, I can only blame myself for letting the dishes pile up in the sink or for leaving the coffee pot empty and dirty. smiling smiley

DM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2006 01:42PM by dmann.
Posted by: Jp!
Date: August 25, 2006 03:19PM
How OLD are these co-workers in these stories? Are they also PARENTS?
Posted by: spacescape
Date: August 25, 2006 03:29PM
Jp!
How OLD are these co-workers in these stories? Are they also PARENTS?

In their 40's and 50's... I'm 31... and was younger when this was happening...
Date: August 25, 2006 03:55PM
My story involved mainly twenty-somethings. A couple of thirty-somethings. And a few older people. Some parents in these groups, yes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2006 03:56PM by $tevie.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 25, 2006 06:38PM
JoeM
...and stop stealing my Silk hazelnut soy milk, fer chrissakes!!

Ahh, you drink foo-foo coffee. Do you squat when you pee?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: August 29, 2006 09:53AM
Racer X
Ahh, you drink foo-foo coffee. Do you squat when you pee?

Sorry, you'll have to look elsewhere for a golden shower buddy.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020