advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple TV2 Jailbreak
Posted by: phuture
Date: June 02, 2013 02:29PM
Can anyone please explain what the Jailbreak does? This is purely for my curiosity and I would never do it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple TV2 Jailbreak
Posted by: dfilpus
Date: June 02, 2013 02:40PM
It allows you to load other apps (not provided by Apple) to the Apple TV.
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: June 02, 2013 05:32PM
Which allows much more content.
Posted by: p8712
Date: June 02, 2013 05:42PM
And adds $1-200 to the resale value.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 02, 2013 07:31PM
Go ahead, check out www.firecore.com for info. You can learn a lot!
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: June 02, 2013 09:07PM
Can you load "apps" on an apple tv? If so, does jailbreaking one allow you to load pirated/cracked apps in the way that a jailbroken iPhone does?

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: phuture
Date: June 02, 2013 09:11PM
thanks for the info. I'm curious what apps it adds. I just found out because I noticed on eBay the Apple TV2 go for over $200-- which was puzzling.
Posted by: p8712
Date: June 02, 2013 09:45PM
XBMC and plex are the major apps everyone adds. The ATV is a nice little XBMC box for $99, but only the ATV2 can be jailbroken. It also only supports 720p. If/when the ATV3 is jailbroken, the resale value of ATV2's will plummet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2013 09:45PM by p8712.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 02, 2013 09:49PM
Not sure it's worth it to add XBMC to an ATV. You can make one with a Raspberry Pi, and it runs 1080P just fine - and for maybe $50 total investment in hardware.

You can add some terrific software to make the ATV2 a server. We are considering converting a couple ATV2s we have around for this purpose.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: June 02, 2013 10:31PM
[stacksocial.com]

ATVFlash is on sale for $20 through this link.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: June 03, 2013 04:33AM
Explore some of the sites that describe the menus and things that can be added. There are pros and cons.

I tried it with an older Apple TV, since I had a couple of newer ones, so I could discover and take advantage of the additional content and options.

My personal conclusion was this:

I think it's most valuable to windows users, who feel limited by Apple's music and movie formats. People who perhaps already have a sizable library of XViDs, or whatever those Windows-friendly, non-Mac encoding methods.

Secondarily, people who dislike Apple's organizational menus and way of presenting content. XBMC is pretty slick, and fun to play with. You can devise, and customize, many different ways of organizing the visual navigation, menus, wallpaper, weather apps, all kinds of fun gizmos. But ultimately, it's a duplication of what Apple TV's primary menus already give you. Just less intelligent, less elegant, more buggy, less stable.

Third-arily, people who like to tinker, load apps, try things, mess around. I was in that category. I tried literally everything that was available (about 2-3 years ago) because I didn't want anything left unexplored.
Boxee, is another fun thing to mess around with.

But since my movie and music library were already in mp4 and m4v (I have a huge movie library) and I'd already avoided those other formats (none of which offer any visual or sound advantages, and compression isn't an issue because storage space is cheap) I couldn't find anything compelling enough to make the effort of running a hacked Apple TV.

One good thing about the factory edition of Apple TV. It's stable. The various hacked/jailbroken methods and editions I had, during that time, constantly needed rebooting, babysitting, and tinkering, just to keep it from crashing.

If you want to turn your Apple TV from a solid entertainment appliance, into a crappy low powered computer, jailbreaking is one way to do it.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: June 03, 2013 09:57AM
I have an ATV2 but haven't looked into this further since I bought it long ago. Don't think I need Plex for content, since I used that for years before getting the ATV, and there is nothing that used to do that I want to do now that I can't do.

But I do wonder if jailbreaking would allow location spoofing for NBA/MLB streaming subscriptions to get around blackout restrictions. That would be worth doing. But I have not seen clear evidence that actually works, plus I think I would need to replace my airport extreme to have a router that could support spoofing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 157
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020