Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Roku 2 XS $55
Posted by: p8712
Date: June 04, 2013 02:41PM
Via Ebay

Seems a good deal if you don't need the latest and greatest Roku. Also comes with and HDMI cable and Angry Birds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2013 02:49PM by p8712.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Roku 2 XS $55
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 04, 2013 04:35PM
p8712,

It's a refurb. Other places are selling the same deal for $68.99. I wouldn't go for it since I'm not a fan of buying anything via ebay. However, it's a reasonably good deal for a refurb. That and the Roku 2 XS is a solid media streamer. I have one and like it quite a bit. The Roku 2 XS supports Roku's new interface. Definitely an improvement over the old flavor.

Robert
Date: June 04, 2013 04:45PM
Good point Robert. Are Roku refurbs a bad risk? New Rokus only have a 3 month warranty, anyway.

It seems like the XS has almost all the features of the 3, at nearly half the price. I've heard the 3's remote eats through batteries, while the XS' doesn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2013 04:46PM by p8712.
Date: June 04, 2013 04:53PM
p8712,

Mine is a factory refurb and was indistinguishable from a brand-new one. So, I'd say it's not a bad risk at all. However, this holds true only for factory refurbs. I'd be leery of other types of refurbs, i.e. vendor refurbished.

That said, I use the Roku for NetFlix, Amazon VOD and Plex. It was decent with the old interface. The new interface is smoother and more responsive. Definitely makes for a better experience. Glad the Roku 2 XS supports it.

The battery life of the remote seems fine. I've had the Roku since December. Don't use it all the time but at least once or twice every two weeks. I've yet to change the batteries in the remote.

Robert
Date: June 04, 2013 05:02PM
Thank you Robert. Your reviews are always clear and concise. If you say it's a good streamer, I believe it. According to the listing it's a sealed manufacturer refurb, so hopefully not too risky.

The XS' remote is Bluetooth based, while the 3's is wifi direct. I've heard the 3's batteries only last a couple of weeks, while the XS's go for months. I don't think the headphone jack or the tiny speed boost is worth more $45 more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2013 05:06PM by p8712.
Date: June 04, 2013 07:00PM
p8712,

Thank you for your kind words. Truth to say, prior to the release of the new interface, I would've said the interface of the AppleTV is better than the interface of the Roku. However, that is no longer the case. The new interface of the Roku is a vast improvement over the old and is near neck and neck with the interface of the AppleTV now. Truth to say, I'd be hard pressed to choose one device over the other. Each has its pros and cons and the streamer of choice is very much dependent upon the needs of the individual buying it.

Would I choose a Roku 3 over a Roku 2 XS? If price was no object without a doubt. The Roku 3 offers many benefits over the Roku 2 XS including a faster processor which apparently makes the interface faster and smoother as well as superior wifi. That can make a difference when using the device. The other stuff like WiFi direct remote with its built-in headphone jack? They don't factor into the equation. To me, it's all about performance.

If money is an issue and you wanted a Roku now, I'd go for the Roku 2 XS. But, if you can wait, it might be worth waiting for factory refurbished Roku 3 units. They'll likely cost more than a refurb Roku 2 XS but it'll offer good bang for the buck. Or it may drive the prices of the refurbished Roku 2 XS models down that much further.

Then again, the Roku 2 XS is pretty darn good. I'm happy with mine even if it isn't the latest and greatest. smiling smiley

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020