Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Planning 'Something Really Different' for New Mac Pro
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: June 05, 2013 02:56PM
[www.macrumors.com]

The new Mac Pro model, expected later this year, is "something really different" according to a video professional who says he spoke with the Mac Pro product manager.

Writing on the RedUser.net forum, Andrew Baird says he spoke to Mac Pro project manager Douglas Brooks on the phone after emailing CEO Tim Cook with his concerns about the lack of a new professional tower from Apple over the past few years.

Baird told MacRumors that the call didn't include any specific details about when the new machine would be released, nor its specifications -- however, he was assured several times that the new Mac Pro would be worth the wait. Brooks told him that the machine would be released later this year.

For what it's worth - a couple of months ago I received a call from Douglas Brooks, Apples project manager for the new Mac Pro to address my concerns about the new machine. Obviously he didn't tell me anything about the new MP, but asked me what I wanted to see. I told him expandability for extra graphics cards support, and memory expansion were at the top of my list amongst other things. His reply was simple:

"You are going to be really glad that you waited [to buy a new tower]. We are doing something really different here and I think you're going to be very excited when you see what we've been up to. I can't wait to show this off".

That conversation gave me enough confidence to wait for the new machine. I'm looking forward to the announcement. Hopefully the wait will be worth it.

Somewhat corroborating Baird's phone call, Lou Borella -- administrator of the 'We Want a New Macpro' Facebook group -- wrote on the page that he heard the new professional Mac would be "heavily reliant on Thunderbolt" with "no internal expandability", and would have support for dual-GPUs and no FireWire or optical drive.

In mid-2012, after a minor update to the Mac Pro was announced at WWDC, Tim Cook confirmed to a fan that new Mac Pros were coming in 2013, which was later reiterated by an Apple spokesman. It has also been rumored that the new Mac Pro would be the first Apple computer in years to be 'Made in the USA'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2013 02:58PM by Zoidberg.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Planning 'Something Really Different' for New Mac Pro
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 05, 2013 03:03PM
"support for dual-GPUs" ? You could put as many video cards as there were PCI, AGP and now PCIe slots in all Macs for as long as I can remember. Maybe they are talking about support for more than one power-hungry GPU that takes up two slots and requires both 6-pin power leads?
Posted by: timg
Date: June 05, 2013 03:17PM
I'm tired of all this "The New Mac Pro is coming and it's going to be AWESOME" without any specifics.

JUST SHIP THE DAMN THING ALREADY!!

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: June 05, 2013 03:18PM
Zoidberg
"heavily reliant on Thunderbolt" with "no internal expandability", and would have support for dual-GPUs and no FireWire or optical drive.

So, like a mac mini?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 05, 2013 03:33PM
Everyone I know is just building hackintosh's due to the incredible long lag between updates and the pricing. Not sure, but it may be too late for Apple to turn that boat around.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Date: June 05, 2013 03:39PM
davemchine
Everyone I know is just building hackintosh's due to the incredible long lag between updates and the pricing. Not sure, but it may be too late for Apple to turn that boat around.

That is a solution for some, but there is no way a large company or business (or government) operation would ever sanction building a Hackintosh versus buying a MacPro from Apple, at least not where I work.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: June 05, 2013 03:42PM
A 'Mac Pro' with no internal expandability is just not a Mac Pro!

thunderbolt only offers 10Gb/s of bi-directional throughput
That's the equiv of a 4 Lane PCIe 2.0 Slot

Thunderbolt 'rev 2' goes to 20Gb/s
Equiv of a 8 Lane PCIe 2.0 Slot

modern video cards use all and more that a 16 Lane card can offer. Further - high end storage for video editing hits well beyond the 20Gb/s as well. To limit a new Mac Pro design to the performance of Thunderbolt for additional GPUs, External Storage Connections, etc - that's not a pro.

There is a large portion of the user base that doesn't really use that PCIe expandability.... if the cost is substantially reduced - while still maintaining the high-performance processor capability and having a powerful video card/chipset standard - thunderbolt storage will be more than fast and effective enough for many users...

I think we might just start selling Windows/PC kits.... if they happen to be useable for these illicit hackintosh builds, just not sure what we'll have to do.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 05, 2013 03:44PM
Zoidberg
"heavily reliant on Thunderbolt" with "no internal expandability", and would have support for dual-GPUs and no FireWire or optical drive.

That does sound 'really different'... but it does not sound better.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 05, 2013 03:44PM
Maybe it'll be modular in the vein of the MiniStack. Just add more modules.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: June 05, 2013 03:45PM
thermarest
Zoidberg

So, like a mac mini?

Dual-GPUs, so it'll be two Minis duck-taped together.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: June 05, 2013 03:53PM

[...] I told him expandability for extra graphics cards support, and memory expansion were at the top of my list amongst other things. His reply was simple:

"You are going to be really glad that you waited [to buy a new tower]. We are doing something really different here and I think you're going to be very excited when you see what we've been up to. I can't wait to show this off".

Somewhat corroborating Contradicting Baird's phone call, Lou Borella -- administrator of the 'We Want a New Macpro' Facebook group -- wrote on the page that he heard the new professional Mac would be "heavily reliant on Thunderbolt" with "no internal expandability", and would have support for dual-GPUs and no FireWire or optical drive.

Fixed.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: JoeM
Date: June 05, 2013 03:53PM

uh oh... sounds like typical Apple iMarketing.

JoeM
Date: June 05, 2013 03:54PM
That was also hardly an update - they changed the base processor configurations and standard included memory. Nothing new, just made the base a processor speed and slightly higher memory installed that were prior available as upgrade options.

Still remember being excited and then frustrated when initially they actually had 'NEW' badged for the 'June 2012' minor refresh they quietly did. I wasn't the only one bothered for sure... they took that 'new' call out/burst off those very quickly.

Zoidberg
In mid-2012, after a minor update to the Mac Pro was announced at WWDC, Tim Cook confirmed to a fan that new Mac Pros were coming in 2013, which was later reiterated by an Apple spokesman. It has also been rumored that the new Mac Pro would be the first Apple computer in years to be 'Made in the USA'.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 05, 2013 03:56PM
All speculation until the skinny guy sings.....Maybe fun, but just speculation.

I, for one, welcome our new Thunderbolt overlords!
Date: June 05, 2013 04:00PM
Hmm - ok - maybe some contradicting info.... whatever they do - I sure hope it at least has a couple PCIe slots for real expansion support. Thunderbolt just doesn't cut it for some requirements and without supporting those requirements, there is what should be an important high-end segment that will ditch Apple. IMHO - these niches are a benefit beyond their spend with Apple in general Apple evangelism now and certainly over a very long course.

If Apple does more and more to alienate its pro users that were there to see Apple have the support to get to where they are now, i think Apple really could lose itself. Cross a threshold where it loses a larger segment of the brand loyalty that gives it the huge legs it has today. Apple makes some of the best stuff period - but it also benefits from a loyalty that allows some other objective considerations to be dismissed. If it's customers treated Apple products like most other CE, that will cost Apple.

Hopefully Apple stops and makes real action that shows they care before it's too late and only taking action cause of an impact there from.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Date: June 05, 2013 04:05PM
OWC Larry
That was also hardly an update - they changed the base processor configurations and standard included memory. Nothing new, just made the base a processor speed and slightly higher memory installed that were prior available as upgrade options.

Still remember being excited and then frustrated when initially they actually had 'NEW' badged for the 'June 2012' minor refresh they quietly did. I wasn't the only one bothered for sure... they took that 'new' call out/burst off those very quickly.

Same here re/the badge. That wasn't a refresh, it was an insult.

Apple's money is made elsewhere these days, and the Pro line is arguably a niche product now. I keep hoping they'll come around but there's not much drive to do so, is there, when you're raking in money on another product line.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 05, 2013 04:06PM

Keira sez Tim Cook may be sticking his neck out a bit too far on this one.
Posted by: Black
Date: June 05, 2013 04:19PM
This is completely consistent with what I've picked up on from my Apple mole (and posted.)

Zoidberg
[www.macrumors.com]

The new Mac Pro model, expected later this year, is "something really different" according to a video professional who says he spoke with the Mac Pro product manager.

Writing on the RedUser.net forum, Andrew Baird says he spoke to Mac Pro project manager Douglas Brooks on the phone after emailing CEO Tim Cook with his concerns about the lack of a new professional tower from Apple over the past few years.

Baird told MacRumors that the call didn't include any specific details about when the new machine would be released, nor its specifications -- however, he was assured several times that the new Mac Pro would be worth the wait. Brooks told him that the machine would be released later this year.

For what it's worth - a couple of months ago I received a call from Douglas Brooks, Apples project manager for the new Mac Pro to address my concerns about the new machine. Obviously he didn't tell me anything about the new MP, but asked me what I wanted to see. I told him expandability for extra graphics cards support, and memory expansion were at the top of my list amongst other things. His reply was simple:

That conversation gave me enough confidence to wait for the new machine. I'm looking forward to the announcement. Hopefully the wait will be worth it.

Somewhat corroborating Baird's phone call, Lou Borella -- administrator of the 'We Want a New Macpro' Facebook group -- wrote on the page that he heard the new professional Mac would be "heavily reliant on Thunderbolt" with "no internal expandability", and would have support for dual-GPUs and no FireWire or optical drive.

Posted by: john dough
Date: June 05, 2013 04:34PM
davemchine

One client gave up on waiting on new MPs a while back and bought MBP RDs for his four designers (2.6, 16GB, 512GB) and 2 Windows 7 workstations for "heavy" work (i7 3.5, 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 2 x 4TB shared storage). The PCs were ~$2100 each, and although they are not MPs, they work just fine for Photoshop, Illustrator and CAD work. At the time, he would have preferred getting MPs, but he was not willing to buy 3 year old technology (at $3000 each, without the upgrades that he got on the PCs) vs. current (at the time) top of the line desktops. Apple has missed out on lots of sales in the last few years.

Personally, if I wanted a high-end machine today, I would get a PC with the fastest Haswell processor, 32GB of RAM, Samsung Pro SSD, super quiet case and a great video card for under $2K delivered; not to crap on the "new" MP (whenever that drops), I seriously doubt that you could put together a comparable computer for double (or more) the cost of a similarly benchmarked PC.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2013 05:26PM by john dough.
Posted by: decay
Date: June 05, 2013 04:40PM
New spokesperson for Mac Pro:

---
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 05, 2013 04:48PM
but asked me what I wanted to see. I told him expandability for extra graphics cards support, and memory expansion were at the top of my list amongst other things.

He has a chance to talk to a real somebody and THAT'S what he asks for? Because he couldn't get that on the previous Mac Pros.

His reply was simple:

"You sir, are an idiot."

And:

So if that reply was supposed to calm the guy down after wasting two of his wishes, this doesn't seem to make any sense:

Somewhat corroborating Baird's phone call,[while mostly negating it] Lou Borella -- administrator of the 'We Want a New Macpro' Facebook group -- wrote on the page that he heard the new professional Mac would be "heavily reliant on Thunderbolt" with "no internal expandability", and would have support for dual-GPUs and no FireWire or optical drive.

I'm not sure that Borella really corroborates anything. Is the guy Baird talked to going to be excited because he's going to be supremely disspapointed? Or if it is going to be modular, then the two statements could be correctly while not corroborating anything.

There'll be six more threads, at least, covering the same subject with people saying stupid things or passing stupid things along. Sooner or later the monkeys may actually type something correctly.

I can wait. All I want is a little expandability with a smaller form factor (Cube II!)

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 05, 2013 04:50PM
"later this year". OMFG, how long does it really take to throw some components in a box and make it go.

meh. told. you. so.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: colonel panic
Date: June 05, 2013 04:52PM
Apple should be careful, the pro market is loyal but the consumer market is very fickle. Eventually people will tire of their iPhones and iPads and move on to the next big thing.

If anyone is interested, here's one more article on the new Mac Pro from studio daily

"They don't call me Colonel because I'm some dumb a$$ army guy" Colonel Homer J. Simpson
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 05, 2013 05:05PM
Multiple GPU's... that means it is going to have four iPads as an internal Beowulf cluster. devil smiley

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: June 05, 2013 07:10PM
RAMd®d
I can wait. All I want is a little expandability with a smaller form factor (Cube II!)

Or maybe an Optiplex?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 05, 2013 07:11PM
I am not encouraged by this rumor. It reads as though the Mac Pro will be a mini with higher throughput. Reliance on Thunderbolt and it's extremely overpriced Thunderbolt peripherals also doesn't sound encouraging.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: sekker
Date: June 05, 2013 07:17PM
DIfferent = not vaporware?

I see nothing good here for those that are price conscience.

I will likely be building a hack or two later this year - for the price of half of one of these machines.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 05, 2013 07:24PM
Alive & well in Cupertino, Apple's other MacPro spokesman...

Sure glad Gigabyte continues to make great Mac MocPro motherboards pirate smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: bruceko
Date: June 05, 2013 08:00PM
Kind of like the release of Final Cut X? Awesome and different.
Only took a year after release to get the features back.
Date: June 05, 2013 08:04PM
bruceko

Spot on!

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 05, 2013 08:17PM
bruceko

Apple still hasn't recovered from that debacle. The presentation of FCX was a demo of "My Summer Vacation" as if they were talking to an iMovie audience. Then lacking so many pro features was just plain idiotic. Apple has a window to win back FC users since Premiere is going to a subscription model, a great Mac Pro will help. I hope Apple doesn't mess this up.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: June 05, 2013 08:35PM
My shop has essentially dumped the whole Final Cut Studio package for the CS6 Master Suite. Still running on 2009 Mac Pros with an Xsan and Final Cut Server. Definitely a make it or break it on the new MP hardware.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 05, 2013 10:51PM

Sounds like I'm solidly in the minority on this one, but this is the most encouraging thing I've read yet.

These guys are not working in a vacuum. They hear the (entirely justified) kvetching, and carping, and lists of things that 'better be there' on the next tower. They had a front row seat on 24 car pile up that was FCX and the resultant hemorrhaging of users.

He's seen and heard all that and he's pumped about what his team has to bring to the party. That to me is a very hopeful sign. Not that Apple has crossed every t and dotted every i on The Great Wish List. Apple NEVER does that. But they have in the past managed, after the broken faces and grousing and grumbling, ultimately delivered the goods. That's why we're still here and hope springs eternal at least one last time.

And it sounds to me like this guy really believes they've got it old school Apple right this time.

For now, as pessemistic as I've been up to now, I'm pulling on my Fox Mulder pants and saying, "I WANT TO BELIEVE."

;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2013 10:54PM by Blankity Blank.
Date: June 05, 2013 11:28PM
eSATA works for many of our clients.

---
Date: June 05, 2013 11:55PM
decay
eSATA works for many of our clients.

Am considering pairing one of these with one of these for my setup.

Posted by: guitarist
Date: June 06, 2013 02:58AM
jdc

meh. told. you. so.

The image that comes to mind, of the average, regular the user of this word...

"Meh"
Posted by: Mr645
Date: June 06, 2013 05:59AM
This all sounds good, but my last ten computer purchased have been PC's. I still have a few Macs, and use Macs at home, but I have not been able to justify a Mac Pro when a $1000 order at Newegg get's me a 4ghz i7, 16GB ram and SSD + 2TB drive for a machine that can crunch RAW files 2 1/2 times faster then a $3000 Mac Pro. We just need horsepower. Today's 1080P video, and soon to 4K video, and the latest still cameras capture larger files faster the never.

I also need faster networking technology, 1000BaseT is showing it's limitations
Date: June 06, 2013 07:36AM
Mr645

We've been using 4Gbps Fibre Channel on our MacPros for the last 4+ years with great success. I don't think Apple would make that a standard new feature at this point, but there are Thunderbolt to Fibre adapters that may be in our future.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 06, 2013 10:10AM
Or maybe an Optiplex?

Nope.

DIfferent = not vaporware?

What vaporware.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: June 06, 2013 11:08AM
Pros don't need "something really different". If they needed something different, iMac and Hacs wouldn't be so popular for them these days. Things pro users don't need:

- Non expandable RAM
- Non expandable hard drive

So if we really end up with "no internal expandability", Apple is going to be making a huge mistake. Pros don't want to drop thousands on a computer only to be able to not increase their RAM or storage capacity as time goes along.

Pros need at least 2 HD bays and at least 4 RAM slots. Anything less...

Here's my ideal Mac Pro setup:
- An option at least to get an i7 processor. I don't need server procs and don't need ECC RAM.
- 4 HD bays (option to ship with no drives)
- 8 RAM slots (option to ship with no RAM)
- 10Gb ethernet
- Full support for PC graphics cards
- Super quiet and efficient at idle

Nice to haves but not required:
- Built-in WiFi, BT
- Dual NICs
- 8 HD bays
- eSATA

None of that is really different than the PC market. Different for Apple, sure.

I don't care about:
- Thunderbolt. It's flaky and irritating.
- Xeons

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 06, 2013 11:25AM
The stuff from "We Want..." is completely unsourced so gets dumped into the rumor white noise category for me.
Posted by: clay
Date: June 06, 2013 11:47AM
the new mac pro will be to the existing mac pro as the retina macbook pro is to the macbook pro. Nuff said.
Date: June 06, 2013 11:54AM
I hope that ends up not the case... but is certainly possible to be the case.

clay
the new mac pro will be to the existing mac pro as the retina macbook pro is to the macbook pro. Nuff said.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Date: June 06, 2013 12:07PM
there's no way that Apple will ship a computer with no RAM installed, or a hard drive. not gonna happen.

if it ever does, i'll eat my Quadra.

---
Date: June 06, 2013 12:26PM
decay
there's no way that Apple will ship a computer with no RAM installed, or a hard drive. not gonna happen.

if it ever does, i'll eat my Quadra.

I didn't say they would, I said that's what I want smiling smiley As clay pointed out, if Apple's track record with the MacBook "Pro" is any indication, the new MacPro will be glued together with nothing serviceable or expandable.

Date: June 06, 2013 01:20PM
M A V I C
if Apple's track record with the MacBook "Pro" is any indication, the new MacPro will be glued together with nothing serviceable or expandable.

Interesting point, and it goes hand-in-hand with what the original post notes. Apple *wants you* to bring it to them for service & upgrades (revenue stream?); they can tout axing the removable battery to give you more battery life all they want (and sure that's a great benefit) but the point is you've got to go to an Apple Store to get it changes (bear with me on that); that means you're there, maybe you'll buy a new iPod or look at some speakers or get a new display.

This may also point to the modular design, or at least a smaller case, especially if the desire is for you to bring it to them for service. Interesting.

Maybe that's one of the reasons the Mac mini's overall design expanded last version; part of a larger plan.

All remains to be seen, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next Pro isn't a tower. Maybe the Cube was really ahead of its time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2013 01:20PM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: June 06, 2013 02:02PM
All this talk of non-user-modifiable stuff is perplexing, and not just for 'pros'. There are plenty of us regular folks who like to be able to add RAM and install or change a drive or a PCI card from time to time. We don't need huge server-size machines, but just medium-sized towers—or maybe a Cube, if you can get inside easily. Between the glued-tight retail stuff and the big 'pro' boxes, there is a chronic hole in Apple's product line. But I don't suppose they ever intend to fill it.

/Mr Lynn

PS Here's the full page that the Macworld article linked by Ted King links to:

[www.fcp.co]

I'd love to see something modular like this, configurable by anyone from home users to heavy-duty pro shops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2013 02:20PM by mrlynn.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 06, 2013 02:03PM
This is a Macworld "leaked" image from January (which means that it almost surely is just some guy's idea of what Apple might do, but it is an interesting idea):

[www.macworld.co.uk]

Date: June 06, 2013 02:19PM
mrlynn
All this talk of non-user-modifiable stuff is perplexing, and not just for 'pros'. There are plenty of us regular folks who like to be able to add RAM and install or change a drive or a PCI card from time to time. We don't need huge server-size machines, but just medium-sized towers—or maybe a Cube, if you can get inside easily. Between the glued-tight retail stuff and the big 'pro' boxes, there is a chronic hole in Apple's product line. But I don't suppose they ever intend to fill it.

/Mr Lynn

To me, this is part of the promise of Thunderbolt; a cable bus fast enough for an external PCIe box, like NewerTech's Helios: [eshop.macsales.com] (though I wish it was capable of handling at least 2 cards or more).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2013 02:20PM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: June 06, 2013 04:44PM
mikebw
Mr645

We've been using 4Gbps Fibre Channel on our MacPros for the last 4+ years with great success. I don't think Apple would make that a standard new feature at this point, but there are Thunderbolt to Fibre adapters that may be in our future.

I just replaced an Xserve with Mini using the Promise TB->Fibre adapter for the server's RAID and it was seamless. Plug-and-play.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020