advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Thrift Store find
Posted by: msglee
Date: June 07, 2013 09:43AM
I went into my local Thrift Store the other day, and sitting on the shelf is a Coleman Feather 400 stove. The stove has never been used and is still in the box with instructions. The price was $4.00 and I got 25% off for Military discount. So $3.00 plus tax.

[www.coleman.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Thrift Store find
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 07, 2013 09:46AM
Nice!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 07, 2013 09:52AM
score.

can we make this a thread?

anyway, I scored some obscure locally-made, vintage speakers the other week for $20 from my local thrift store. bought them just for the components but then hooked them up. :-)))))))) I'm keeping them intact, thank you very much.
Posted by: jesse
Date: June 07, 2013 10:05AM
Nice, my husband would be thrilled with that.

I scored a 9 pc. Cuisinart blade set for a DLC-7 for $3.75
(in box, looks like they've never been used)
Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 07, 2013 10:20AM
My best thrift store find was a brand new, top-of-the-line soft-sided backpack for $7.50. BTW, thrift stores can be a great place to buy picture frames.

My local thrift store doesn't have the really good deals that it used to have. Perhaps this is because of the economy over the last 5-6 years has been so poor that people either hang onto stuff or the store is more heavily shopped than it used to be.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2013 10:21AM by Ammo.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 07, 2013 10:22AM
Do those of you who lurk in thrift stores see compact Macs like the SE-30 etc. anymore?
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 07, 2013 10:24AM
Don't forget that there is also an online presence for Thrift Stores/Goodwill. I've noticed that most of the good stuff ends up online instead of in stores. Having said that, I did find a pair of near new hockey pants for my son for $3. Usually about $60+ and I've purchased lots of cheap roller blades there too. The basic brands are designed for the 3 annual uses that most people put them to. I'm a bit harder on them so they rarely make it more than a few months.

[www.shopgoodwill.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2013 10:26AM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: msglee
Date: June 07, 2013 10:27AM
freeradical
Do those of you who lurk in thrift stores see compact Macs like the SE-30 etc. anymore?

G3 iMacs showing up.
Posted by: decay
Date: June 07, 2013 10:35AM
checked the online listings - lots of overpriced vinyl records!

probably beat to crap, i get those for 50 cents each at my local shop. sometimes i find albums worth $20+ too.

never at a thrift store, at least in my area.

---
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 07, 2013 11:15AM
freeradical

There was a St. Vincent de Paul thrift store here until a few years ago. For awhile, it provided me a steady source of Mac 128s and 512s Pluses and SE30s to sell on ebay. Got quite a collection of old Mac SW there too. It was like there was a special little section back in the darkest corner of the place where they put their "weird" computer stuff, the little toy-like non-PC stuff that nobody knew anything about. Made for a tidy source of spending money for me for a few years. Wish I had a few of those little Macs now.

Posted by: Markiscool
Date: June 07, 2013 11:38AM
freeradical

Got an SE-30 for $15 about 2 years ago. Sold it to a coworker for $100 6 months ago.

-M
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: June 07, 2013 11:48AM
I bought a wool sweater for $3 at my local thrift store. Non-clothing items are rare and usually are in decrepid condition. Old cell phone cables seem to be the only plentiful non-clothing items.
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: June 07, 2013 11:49AM
A couple years ago I found a Yamaha SHS-10 (Keytar) NIB for $4.00, sold for $125.00. Normally, I'd have kept it for while to see if I could get some strange sounds out of it, but keyboards NIB are pretty rare.

I'd venture a guess that Craigslist is a big reason there's not so much good stuff in thrifts.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 07, 2013 02:10PM
Our Goodwill has some kind of deal with some local person that anything/everything Mac is saved for them and never even makes it onto their shelves. I found this out by accident and have no details, but it is rather aggravating, to me at least.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2013 02:11PM by $tevie.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 07, 2013 02:31PM
msglee
I went into my local Thrift Store the other day, and sitting on the shelf is a Coleman Feather 400 stove. The stove has never been used and is still in the box with instructions. The price was $4.00 and I got 25% off for Military discount. So $3.00 plus tax.

[www.coleman.com]

One of my backpacking buddies had one of those. A fricken TANK! Heavy, but a very good stove.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 07, 2013 04:04PM
Dibs for next first Monday! wink smiley
Posted by: p8712
Date: June 07, 2013 04:18PM
I just snagged a Series 1 Tivo, and a Series 2 w/dvd Burner. Both cost $5 and both have lifetime service. I just wish you could still transfer service over to a newer unit. sad smiley
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 08, 2013 12:22PM
p8712
I just snagged a Series 1 Tivo, and a Series 2 w/dvd Burner. Both cost $5 and both have lifetime service. I just wish you could still transfer service over to a newer unit. sad smiley

Have you called TiVo customer service and asked? You don't have to tell them how you've come to own it or, what you paid. If you were willing to buy one of their new high end units and, you catch them just right, your luck might continue. Even if I were told "No" by a First Level rep, I'd ask to speak with a supervisor and ask again. The worst thing they can say is no but, you never know!
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 08, 2013 04:59PM
I do better on ebay sometimes.
Found this Griffin A Frame for $3.25 shipped. Poor guy paid over $6 to ship it to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2013 05:05PM by Carm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 121
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020