advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Spam from a hacked email address
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: June 12, 2013 02:50PM
Not mine but I received some from a friend. I phoned to warn them and I take it that it's not their computer as no unusual things are in their Sent mailbox but they did receive a load of Failed email returns. That would have immediately warned me but they are not particularly computer literate and had ignored them! Anyway, is all that is needed to do would be change their email password? That's what I told them to do.

Paul

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Spam from a hacked email address
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 12, 2013 03:07PM
Pretty much. But if they got anything else that was installed, they should also scan their computer with malwarebytes to make sure that any malware/trojans are removed..
Posted by: dfilpus
Date: June 12, 2013 05:22PM
Are you sure it came from their computer? The spammer may just have used their email address as the From address, just to use a legitimate From address. The address may simply have come from the list of target email addressed used to generate the spam. It does not require any intervention on their computer for their email addres to have been harvested for spam lists.
This can be checked by looking at the full headers of the spam email. The headers will have the original IP the email was sent from. This cannot be spoofed.
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 12, 2013 05:49PM
Yes looking at the full headers always helps.
My aunt thought my wifes email was hacked because it said my wifes name in the from field, and kept telling us about it. I had her forward me the email and told her that it wasnt from my wife. My wifes email had been hacked once. Yahoo by the way.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: June 12, 2013 11:53PM
Looked at the headers and her email address is the "Return-Path", it is a Yahoo address. I received two emails from her to two different addresses I have and each one also shows it was sent to a few others that she knows.

Paul

Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 13, 2013 11:18AM
voodoopenguin
Looked at the headers and her email address is the "Return-Path", it is a Yahoo address. I received two emails from her to two different addresses I have and each one also shows it was sent to a few others that she knows.

Paul

That "Return-Path" can be spoofed, the headers being mentioned where the IP is more difficult to fake are in the full email headers. Different email clients have their own options for displaying the full headers, for instance Thunderbird uses "View Source". For instance, a recent email from one of the Apple mailing lists to me has this line:

Received: from msbadger0608.apple.com (msbadger0608.apple.com [17.254.6.137])
by ***.****.*** (Postfix) with ESMTP id E4AE81482DD

showing the original source IP address - 17.254.6.137. There can be multiple lines like this as each mail server handles a message and passes it on to the next.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2013 11:20AM by JoeH.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 166
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020