advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Grinding Coffee...
Posted by: spacescape
Date: August 28, 2006 03:15PM
I have four bags of some good gourmet coffee from my mom. While ordering some coffee pods for my dad she accidently ordered these four bags thinking that they were pods as well... OPPS...

Last night I used our Cuisinart Mini-Prep Plus Processor to grind up a small amount of beens. I've done this a couple of times for some fresh espresso beens that I had bought as well.

Worked pretty good. I used the "CHOP" button because that's the way the SHARP part of the blade spins.

[www.cuisinart.com]

When I really got into making and drinking espresso, I always wanted a Burr Grinder. Today I almost bought a a Cuisinart Automatic Burr Mill for $30.00.

[www.cuisinart.com]

Will a Burr Grinder work that much better than using the Mini-Prep Chopper? I've heard that I can actually burn the beens doing it the way that I did it but they tasted pretty good to me.

Opinions?

Thanks!
Bill
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Grinding Coffee...
Posted by: earache
Date: August 28, 2006 03:53PM
The chopper will do exactly what it's supposed to do, chop. It will chop the beans into different sized pieces and will not yield a consistent grind. Any attempt at getting a consistent grind will likely burn the beans. A burr grinder is the best for getting a good, consistent grind. I don't know anything about the Cuisinart Burr Mill, but for $30, it's probably a POS. Most good grinders go for at least $300. Try a Macap M4 or a Mazzer Mini.

earache
Posted by: pixelzombie
Date: August 28, 2006 03:53PM
a GOOD burr grinder is indispensable when trying to make good espresso but it'll cost more than $30.00...
Posted by: Maddog
Date: August 28, 2006 04:25PM
I have never been convinced that a burr grinder really makes that much difference in the final product over a standard coffee grinder. Take a look at the bosch or Krups brands. Never had a problem with either.
Posted by: earache
Date: August 28, 2006 05:34PM
For espresso you need a grinder that will produce a very find and consistent grind, but I would agree that for drip and French press, you probably couldn't taste the difference. I'm sure there are some coffee experts out there who could, but I don't think they frequent this forum.

earache
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: August 28, 2006 05:56PM
Cook's Illustrated, which is pretty fussy about things and is written and edited by a bunch of gadget geeks, suggests skipping the cheaper burr grinders and simply buying a Krups, Mr. Coffee or Braun blade grinder for about $15. Shake the grinder a bit while you are buzzing the beans and you will get an even grind. I have the Braun--I like the button on the cup, and the cup fits tightly. Cleanup is easier than with a mini-prep, I would think, though the mini prep will do till you find a grinder you like.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 28, 2006 07:03PM
I have this one:

Purchased because I bought two ten pound bags of Kona coffee , not realizing they were beans. Target $10-15

Coarse yields odd sized chops.
Fine yields mud in the bottom of cups.
(drip coffee pot)
Does the trick.
I really don't taste an advantage over ground cans of coffee (like maxwell house, etc.)
Even with Kona beans. (Kona beans, not a 'blend')
At least that grinder isn't messy. But the cup isn't very big.
Grinding beans fresh every morning would be worth it if I could taste a difference.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 28, 2006 09:35PM
If you are a regular customer at a large store like Safeway or TraderJoe's, just take the coffee in and ask the manager to use their big burr grinder and I bet they will say yes. I like to grind a quarter of the beans fairly coarse and then grind the rest one notch up from the finest the machine will grind.

I will swear that DM had a half dozen threads about burr grinders but I could not find them.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Silencio
Date: August 29, 2006 01:07AM
You can't taste the difference between Maxwell House and pure Kona coffee? And yet you spent all that money on two ten-pound bags of the latter?

(Shakes head.)

I have a Braun burr grinder. Must've cost me about $40-50 or something like that a few years back. It's good for finer grinds, but I primarily brew my coffee with a French Press and the grinder's coarsest setting is barely sufficient for the task. I ought to look into an upgrade.

The little cheap blade grinders are nice for grinding up spices and the like.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 29, 2006 05:11PM
I read so much here about Kona being so great that I had to try it.
2 bags was cheaper.

I can taste a bit of a difference, but not 'Wow, regular coffee sucks' better.

Maybe I just like bland coffee. :-)
(I'm a Yankee, after all )
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 174
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020