advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Chinese accessory maker claims to be able to counterfeit Lightning connector...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 24, 2013 03:55PM
...with "permanent hack".
[appleinsider.com]

A Chinese accessory maker claims to have "permanently" cracked the Lightning authentication feature built into Apple's iOS 7 operating system, opening up the possibility for a wide range of manufacturers to make Lightning-compatible iPad and iPod accessories without Apple's approval.

So confident is the company in its circumvention of Apple's restrictions that it is offering money-back guarantees that its new cables will work with the final build of iOS 7.

Interesting business model.

A company that feels it can counterfeit technology without reprisal would have no compunction towards not refunding any money.

I *do* wish Apple would drop the price a little on its Apple accessories.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Chinese accessory maker claims to be able to counterfeit Lightning connector...
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: June 24, 2013 03:57PM
I didn't know there was a Lightning authentication feature in iOS 7, oh well.
Re: Chinese accessory maker claims to be able to counterfeit Lightning connector...
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: June 24, 2013 04:12PM
Counterfeit Lightning? I'm shocked, shocked...!

Eustace
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 24, 2013 04:30PM
LOL!

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 24, 2013 04:42PM
Guess what?

It's lightning safety week.

rolleyes smiley
Posted by: billb
Date: June 24, 2013 07:18PM
Counterfeit lightning very very frightning meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Gallileo, gallileo,
Gallileo figaro
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 24, 2013 07:34PM
I have an ATT and a Belkin charger with lightning connector. Will these work in iOS7?

why does Apple implement these stupid firmware chips in lightning connectors? what do they have to gain by making cables incompatible with iOS devices?
Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 24, 2013 08:03PM
One of the reasons the iPod was successful and able to spawn the whole iOS device world was Apple's cheap licensing and loose restrictions on the 30pin connector. Because of that a whole universe of iPod accessories developed; adapters, connectors, speaker docks and more. How many lightning speaker docks do you see? Hardly any. How about lightning iPad docks? Also not many, if any.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: June 25, 2013 01:41AM
Sam3
One of the reasons the iPod was successful and able to spawn the whole iOS device world was Apple's cheap licensing and loose restrictions on the 30pin connector. Because of that a whole universe of iPod accessories developed; adapters, connectors, speaker docks and more. How many lightning speaker docks do you see? Hardly any. How about lightning iPad docks? Also not many, if any.

Apple started this consumer hostile approach with the 30pin. Remember when third party video cables ceased functioning?
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: June 25, 2013 12:42PM
I'm hoping I'll be able to buy some cables (that actually work) at Monoprice or Meritline soon for $1.99 rather than pay 10X that much from Apple.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: June 25, 2013 02:22PM
I bought some knockoff cables that charge my fifth generation Touch. They won't sync, but I only need one cable for syncing. In the car, on the boat, by the bed, those places I just want to charge it.

They don't last very long but they were a fraction of the price of a genuine Apple Lightning cable.

(I also bought some cables that sport both a 30-pin and a Lightning end, but only one of the three I purchased actually works.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020