Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple leads or follows???
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 08, 2013 09:21AM
[tech.fortune.cnn.com]

I know we hash this over and over but I really in my heart think Apple has passed it zenith. There are not going to be any breakthru iPads, iPod and iPhone. From now on it will be upgrades and "wearable" computers (?). Do we really care about wearable computers? what happened to the Nike running shoes with iPod connectivity...? Wasn't there a pedometer or something connecting your Nikes to your iPod?

I feel sorry for Tim Cook. Jobs is a hard act to follow but becoming Apple heir at this time in Apple's history is....sad for him.

TV and wearable stuff.....not the ingredience of WOW we have been used to. We love our macs but....have we lived thru the glory days

Paul: Wearable may be revolutionary to some but $$$wise I don't think so. May be a fun fad gift but I don't think it is a real money maker. But who am I? just and old lady looking at the past present and future and not with youthful eyes and mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2013 10:15AM by samintx.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple leads or follows???
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: July 08, 2013 09:40AM
Apple and Tim are both doing just fine.

Jobs would be an Impossible act to follow for anybody. You can't really get caught up is all that BS, I think Tim is the right guy for Apple right now. Let's revisit this topic in January next year. I think you will be impressed. Or, I will be disappointed.

Apple is still leading... if you don't think so, then who?

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Black
Date: July 08, 2013 09:56AM
WHiiP
Apple and Tim are both doing just fine.

Jobs would be an Impossible act to follow for anybody. You can't really get caught up is all that BS, I think Tim is the right guy for Apple right now. Let's revisit this topic in January next year. I think you will be impressed. Or, I will be disappointed.

Apple is still leading... if you don't think so, then who?

What's magical about next January? It's amazing how thoroughly a "fan base" can be bought off with a prototype of a future product.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: July 08, 2013 10:08AM
Black

What's magical about next January? It's amazing how thoroughly a "fan base" can be bought off with a prototype of a future product.

I guess we will see. The 9" iPad is delayed because of the retina screen...so debates over it and the design. I personally don't like apple changing ports etc with the macs. Guess that is why I keep old computers around. Like the old versions of WIN98.

Whip, I think TIM is the man for the job but what a job? what an act to follow? After you have brought for a new world what is there left? certainly not an iWatch. Don't get me wrong, I am all for apple, stockholder been a fan since MacPlus but I'm just looking at the future. No one is leading in the technology field..it isn't just apple lagging...all the tech companies are scrambling to find the next great idea.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 08, 2013 10:11AM
samintx

I know we hash this over and over but I really in my heart think Apple has passed it zenith. There are not going to be any breakthru iPads, iPod and iPhone. From now on it will be upgrades and "wearable" computers (?). Do we really care about wearable computers? what happened to the Nike running shoes with iPod connectivity...? Wasn't there a pedometer or something connecting your Nikes to your iPod?

You don't see a computing device that is integrated into something "wearable" as a revolutionary concept?

Apple did not invent the tablet, but the iPad was a breakthrough in tablets.
I would expect that any "wearable" computer from Apple would do the same.
Time will tell.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 08, 2013 10:19AM
Paul F.

Apple also did not invent the computer or the mobile phone or downloadable music files. Apple magically made those concepts better than people imagined possible. I look forward to what our apple overlords are preparing for us.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2013 10:19AM by graylocks.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 08, 2013 10:38AM
Lots of companies innovate, but fail in marketing their ideas/products. Apple has done a better than average job of 'stealing' new concepts and putting them into products people want to buy.

I think the place to look is if 'B.R.I.C.' countries are buying iPhones and Apple products in any proportion comparable to average market growth of those items. They were struggling in China, India, and Brazil the last time I saw a good breakdown.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 08, 2013 10:46AM
I'm still using my iPhone4. To me, the iPhone5 was a yawn. I'm hoping Apple can wow me with the next version (5s / 6 ??? ) . If Samsung had been able to get carriers to sell their Note 2 in native 64GB (forget the SD card) instead of the 16GB capacity, I'd have switched already.

I'm amazed that Apple has NOT made it much easier to manage large numbers of Apps. I'd also like to be able to use those Apps on my MBP. That alone would make App management MUCH easier.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 08, 2013 11:17AM
Cook, Jobs, anybody would be hard-pressed to come up with the new "next best thing".

Who will do it is the question. Apple has the best track record, and Mr. Ives is still employed.

Black: Next January isn't magic, but it is after Christmas, by which time all the new stuff will be introduced.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 08, 2013 11:58AM
graylocks
Paul F.

Apple also did not invent the computer or the mobile phone or downloadable music files. Apple magically made those concepts better than people imagined possible. I look forward to what our apple overlords are preparing for us.

Exactly! The OP link author doesn't have the imagination to think of what breakthrough improvement Apple might do next, so assumes that they don't have anything. This is uninspired and circular thinking. Obviously the guy would not be hired at Apple. Perhaps they don't have anything else, but this guy sure doesn't know and I think it more likely that the Apple creative team has a few things up their sleeves.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 08, 2013 12:35PM
samintx
I know we hash this over and over but I really in my heart think Apple has passed it zenith. There are not going to be any breakthru iPads, iPod and iPhone. From now on it will be upgrades and "wearable" computers (?).

Those may be breakthroughs, Suzanne.

By the way, Apple has "passed its zenith" quite a few times in the past—check the pronouncements of the punditry over the last 30 years:

[tech.fortune.cnn.com]
[www.macobserver.com]
Date: July 08, 2013 01:10PM
Paul F.
samintx

You don't see a computing device that is integrated into something "wearable" as a revolutionary concept?

The concept has gotten so stale waiting for the product that it will seem like a new product from yesteryear if it ever does actually materialize.

Date: July 08, 2013 01:11PM
modelamac
Cook, Jobs, anybody would be hard-pressed to come up with the new "next best thing".

Who will do it is the question. Apple has the best track record, and Mr. Ives is still employed.

Black: Next January isn't magic, but it is after Christmas, by which time all the new stuff will be introduced.

And you didn't say the same thing last year? And the year before?
With friends like you Apple doesn't need enemies....

Date: July 08, 2013 01:12PM
Article Accelerator
samintx
I know we hash this over and over but I really in my heart think Apple has passed it zenith. There are not going to be any breakthru iPads, iPod and iPhone. From now on it will be upgrades and "wearable" computers (?).

Those may be breakthroughs, Suzanne.

By the way, Apple has "passed its zenith" quite a few times in the past—check the pronouncements of the punditry over the last 30 years:

[tech.fortune.cnn.com]
[www.macobserver.com]

Yet if news comes out that Dell or Acer are struggling, I doubt you will be likely to judge them on where they were at 4 years ago....

Date: July 08, 2013 01:13PM
testcase
I'm still using my iPhone4. To me, the iPhone5 was a yawn. I'm hoping Apple can wow me with the next version (5s / 6 ??? ) . If Samsung had been able to get carriers to sell their Note 2 in native 64GB (forget the SD card) instead of the 16GB capacity, I'd have switched already.

I'm amazed that Apple has NOT made it much easier to manage large numbers of Apps. I'd also like to be able to use those Apps on my MBP. That alone would make App management MUCH easier.

Well, you're just wrong then aren't you?

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 08, 2013 01:34PM
Suzanne, here's another for your amusement:

[tech.fortune.cnn.com]

"Stunning nine month gap between product events 'Apple will hold its first major product event in nine months on Monday, a stunning gap for a company that relies on regularly impressing customers with new innovations.'

"A bear walks into a bar and says, 'Bartender, I'd like a gin . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and tonic.' And the bartender says, 'Sure, but what's with the big pause?'"
Date: July 08, 2013 03:19PM
I think we have a right to question, and wonder. I'm not exactly a non users/believer on the subject. Seems as tho you feel your sister is being criticized! I'm just trying to look at the computer industry and apple realistically.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2013 03:19PM by samintx.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 08, 2013 03:22PM
Black
Paul F.
samintx

The concept has gotten so stale waiting for the product that it will seem like a new product from yesteryear if it ever does actually materialize.

That's because the "concept" dates back to 1950's science fiction stories...
Like coming out with the "revolutionary" iPad, despite other tablets being on the market, I suspect Apple is making darn sure that any wearable device is, indeed, REVOLUTIONARY.

Or they have nothing, and it's all rumor... which of course could also be the case.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Sam3
Date: July 08, 2013 04:41PM
The "new" Apple (return of Jobs and later) doesn't come out with new product categories, they aren't "innovative" in that sense. What they seem to do very well is take an existing product and make it really, really good. When the iMac came out there were other personal computers, but Apple made the iMac fruity fun and easy to use, plus, they priced it cheaper than any other PC of the era. There were mp3 players on the market when Apple came out with the iPod, they just weren't easy to use or stylish. Apple redesigned the user interface and made it a joy to use, as well as giving it a good sound. Same with the iPhone, there already were other smartphones out there, Blackbery, HTC running WinCE, and more, but they didn't have such a great user experience. Apple refined the user experience and made the phone "cool". Tablets existed before the iPad, but once again, Apple figured out what would work well in using a tablet and created a whole new ecosystem with the iPad and App Store.

Besides which, how many truly remarkable products has Apple ever had? I think I named all of them above, so, only 4 products/product categories. So to say that Apple has "passed it's peak" is not a valid assessment IMO.

Apple's marketing and Steve's RDF made it seem that Apple innovated some truly remarkable new products, when what they did was refine products and categories.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 08, 2013 04:57PM
Apple has turned the world upside down several times recently: ipod, iphone, itunes store & the ipad.

I didn't read the article, but I have to think that doing this again - find/create 4 new huge growing markets to dominate thus creating GIGANTIC revenue streams is unlikely to happen again - at least, not all at once.

I think it'll be a LONG time until aapl reaches 700 again.

In the mean time, they can still rake in the dough based on all of these operations, but I am not expecting profits to begin accelerating again like they did in the massive run of the last several years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020