advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Today's moral dilemma...
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 15, 2013 07:07PM
OK, today's dilemma begins at the local grocery store.
Guy in front me obviously knows the checker, and checker is taking her sweet time ringing up the guy's haul. Guy easily has well over $200 worth of groceries in his basket, probably closer to $300, yet when the gal is done ringing everything up, the tab comes to $44.56.

Do I call the local police, or the chain's corporate office?
Clearly at the store level, nobody there seems to care, as the "real" managers were nowhere to be found. It was a heckuva 'deal' for the guy in front of me... :-) The checker gal even gave him the maximum number of "green points" for bringing his own bags, then proceeded to use/give him three additional $0.99 reusable store logoed bags,because he really didn't have enough bags that he brought w/ him o bag the haul, much less equate to the points given. Too freaking blatant to let slide; it was definitely not a simple clerical error.

///

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Today's moral dilemma...
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: July 15, 2013 07:12PM
I'd have found the store manager. There had to be one somewhere. Even if you requested the checker be the one to call him/her to the front of the store.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: July 15, 2013 07:34PM
I say turn her in. It's theft plain and simple.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 15, 2013 07:38PM
I'd have asked for the same deal that guy got and let her sweat awhile before I told the manager.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 15, 2013 07:47PM
that would have really gotten my inner Goody Two Shoes up. depending upon how much time i had i would have stood there and insisted she or another employee in earshot call a manager.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: July 15, 2013 07:50PM
I guess I would have done nothing. Maybe there is more to the story...

D & C
Posted by: srf1957
Date: July 15, 2013 07:54PM
He might be related to someone who works at the store. Guy i knew worked in albertson's meat department got 50% off on his groceries. That might be why they are in financial trouble.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: July 15, 2013 08:02PM
Did you ask the cashier why the guy got his groceries so cheap? Her reaction probably would have told you everything you need to know.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 15, 2013 08:05PM
Bust her--and him.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 15, 2013 08:11PM
Did she not scan some stuff, or did he have a ton of coupons or what?
I can't see how she could do that, while using a scanner, unless she just didn't scan most of his stuff,

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: July 15, 2013 08:12PM
You do not know the "management" is not in on the scam.
Contact corporate's Loss Prevention office.

With the info from your receipt, they should be able to view the video
of the incident. That is if the store is properly equipped with the right equipment.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: July 15, 2013 08:16PM
I think I'm with Dennis S. Although I'm generally adverse to confrontation, I might have said something like, "wow, the guy in front of me sure got a lot for his money. Is there some kind of 'manager's special' I should know about? Should I talk with the manager?"

Although I probably would have come up with that script after I got back in my car...
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: July 15, 2013 08:20PM
'You sure that he didn't have a store credit?

I've seen something similar. Guy worked for the store and paid next to nothing for groceries. I spoke to him while we waited for the rain to let up before we ran for our cars.

Turns out that the employees were encouraged to shop at the store by getting store credits as incentives for achieving various productivity-goals. This guy was employee of the month and got $200 bucks on a pre-paid card.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 15, 2013 08:20PM
You're jumping the gun. There could have been more to the story than you know. Businesses can give ridiculous discounts under the right circumstances. Credit from some previous transaction. Any number of kind of 'insider' discounts. It's not a complete lock that wrong doing was going on, though that's certainly a possibility; I know of plenty examples going both ways.

One random example, commute cost from where a friend of mine lives to where they work, $264.00 a month. Dig around to find the right discount, $99.00 a month.

If it bothers you that much, call, ask to speak to a manager and tell them what you saw. They'll take it from there.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 15, 2013 08:30PM
What Blankity Blank said. You can't presume malfeasance, when there might be a perfectly innocent, even laudable explanation.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 15, 2013 08:35PM
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 15, 2013 08:43PM
There could be a perfectly reasonable explanation, which is why you shouldn't feel guilty about following up with the store manager and a regional supervisor.

I'm sick of being required to open my pockets and bags and provide receipts when I leave certain stores, on the presumption that I'm a criminal. I don't boycott Frys but I'll go only in an emergency, maybe once a year. In any retail setting, much of the loss comes from employee theft or the sort of scam you saw.

I worked at an independent bookstore and we had shrinkage, especially in the departments that stocked $100+ art books. They'd occasionally find their way to another independent bookstore across town. The owners hired a loss prevention monitor, with the explicit instructions that she was there to monitor customers, not employees. Of course, the only person she caught was an employee, and of the day, zipping an art book into his big leather portfolio. He was fired the same day the loss prevention officer was fired for not following orders.

I had a student who was fired from Wal*Mart, and arrested, for hooking up her friends by not scanning the expensive goods. She really didn't understand why some people thought she was stealing; in her mind, her friend was the thief, and she wasn't going to rat on him. There's valid reasons not be a tattletale, but some people push that as a noble value because they intend to exploit it.
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 15, 2013 08:51PM
If only the Feds had the same level of 'hunt em down' for the bankers who raped the US for millions.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 15, 2013 09:14PM
This. Because it is a chain they will have video. Or will after you tell them about the sweethearting you witnessed.

MrNoBody
You do not know the "management" is not in on the scam.
Contact corporate's Loss Prevention office.

With the info from your receipt, they should be able to view the video
of the incident. That is if the store is properly equipped with the right equipment.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 15, 2013 09:26PM
Mike Johnson
I'm sick of being required to open my pockets and bags and provide receipts when I leave certain stores, on the presumption that I'm a criminal.

In this country, I will never show anything except to LEO. I have been asked and I decline. If they insist I threaten to sue because they are calling me a thief (happened at a Wal-Mart, the employee replied, "Have a nice day," as I walked away.).

Just got back from Mexico where this is routine in most stores although not groceries. Went to a Home Depot several times where one time I bought $150 worth of building supplies. The receipt was long and the exit door check was a joke. But I suppose it acts as a deterrence.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 15, 2013 09:38PM
There could be a perfectly reasonable explanation, which is why you shouldn't feel guilty about following up with the store manager and a regional supervisor.

Which is why I wouldn't have felt guilty about starting the process with the checker. Ask her "WTF?" with any number of polite friendly questions, watch her face and listen to her response and how she gives it.

Perfectly reasonable explanations for such a scenario are usually not as plentiful as they are possible. While scanners make it slightly more difficult to get away with not ringing up every item, it's still a fairly common source of shrinkage in larger food stores.

Since the guy was just ahead of you, did you notice if he had coupons? That's usually pretty obvious, and there would have been a fair amount of them for such a drastic price reduction.

While possible, I don't think it likely that the guy would have had a store credit applied to his purchase without some mention by the checker. Possible, sure, but I don't believe it would be likely. You could have missed that part of their conversation, or know that there was no such communication.

There is almost *always* a manager or assistant manager available, eventually. If the chatty checker didn't have an explanation that satisfied me, as our transaction finished, I'd request a manager or assistant, and wait away from the queue. If none were reported to be available, I'd get a number.

There's no reason (usually) for curiosity to cause any fuss or delay in line, particularly if it *is* a legal transaction. No sense in embarrassing the checker or implying nefarious collusion, even if it's the case.

When I talked to a manager, face to face, and wasn't satisfied with his or her response, I'd ask for a corporate number. Google could confirm it, or provide it if he didn't.

It's prudent to know where you're going with what you have before making yourself persona non grata.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: tenders
Date: July 15, 2013 09:47PM
Paid for most with food stamps? And only paid cash for stuff that doesn't qualify or that was in excess of his food stampage?
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 15, 2013 10:02PM
Speedy
In this country, I will never show anything except to LEO. I have been asked and I decline. If they insist I threaten to sue because they are calling me a thief (happened at a Wal-Mart, the employee replied, "Have a nice day," as I walked away.)

I generally decline too. But I've also had Fry's try to refuse a return the next day for a shower radio that was clearly busted, returned, reboxed, and sold as new. I'm certain they wanted to turn me away because there was no highlighter mark on the receipt. I had the receipt! The speaker didn't work! They kept hemming and hawing and talking about computer problems and bad inventories and walking off to check stock. They said the radio was clearly used and insinuated I had faked the receipt.I finally said I'd leave it on their desk, do a chargeback, and file a whole series of complaints naming everybody I'd dealt with in the half hour I stood there. They finally refunded my card.

When I tried it at Wal*mart in Oxnard, granted, I was carrying a PS3 in one hand. And I had the receipt out in my other hand. There was a long line to leave as the guy was literally asking people to open purses too. I walked past, waving the receipt, and he chased me all the way out to the car, calling me stupid and an assho73 and screaming I'd be pulled over and arrested. (I wrote a letter of complaint to Wal*mart and got not so much as a form letter in response.)
Date: July 16, 2013 12:05AM
No coupons... only *possible* @#$%& in the armor would be if there was some massive credit on the guy's rewards card that didn't show up in normal fashion as part of the reconciliation at the bottom of the receipt screen. Something was clearly hinky between the two of 'em. Gonna call corporate tomorrow, as the two 'real' managers were nowhere in sight when I was there earlier, and the other assistant managers clearly don't have their heads in the game. Hopefully the receipt info will be adequate to track down wazzup.

///

==
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 16, 2013 01:08AM
tenders
Paid for most with food stamps? And only paid cash for stuff that doesn't qualify or that was in excess of his food stampage?

OK. I change my vote to this.
Date: July 16, 2013 02:18AM
Should have added, there was way more than $44 worth of non-food stampable stuff in his basket. That was my first knee jerk reaction, too; until I looked more closely at his load and saw what was there. No more plastic bags here, and paper bags cost a dime apiece if you don't bring your own, but if you do bring your own AND have a rewards card, you get a nickel credit per bag on your rewards card... it caught my eye when checker chick gave the guy a few bucks worth of the good, reusable bags, rather than using the paper bags that were right there on top of the checkout counter. There was a very distinct, non-kosher vibe going on, including especially the conspicuous absence of 'real' management; it was if whatever was going on was timed to coincide with management's afternoon break, or maybe there was a meeting keeping them away from the front of the store.

///

==
Date: July 16, 2013 04:04AM
Well, there are plenty of reasons a manager or assistant manager wouldn't be at the front of the store watching the checkers like a hawk. And a meeting of some sort could be one of them.

Not to mention, when conducting shady bo-bo, one would tend to choose a time when he or she felt they were less likely to be under surveillance or other scrutiny.

As close as you were, if you felt a bad vibe, there was likely game afoot.

I am that Masked Man.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: July 16, 2013 07:17AM
No coupons... only *possible* @#$%& in the armor would be if there was some

Oh, come on, c i n k, is a banned word, really? RollingEyesSmiley5

Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 16, 2013 07:39AM
rgG

you forgot the "h" after the "c"...

Funny. I tried to put a link to the wikipedia article and big brother also censored the hyperlink.

Date: July 16, 2013 08:37AM
bazookaman
rgG

you forgot the "h" after the "c"...

Funny. I tried to put a link to the wikipedia article and big brother also censored the hyperlink.

Yep, I was just thinking, I think I misspelled C H I N K when I posted that, oh well. I guess it is banned because it could be used as a racial slur, but I think this is carrying censorship too far. There are a lot of real words used in normal conversation that "could" be used in other ways, but to ban all of them would be silly.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 16, 2013 08:55AM
But, silly or not, they have in fact banned quite a few of them. We need a bot that can understand context.

Date: July 16, 2013 09:03AM
$tevie
But, silly or not, they have in fact banned quite a few of them. We need a bot that can understand context.

I have never been a fan of word banning.
Used to be it was basically only the F word that got that treatment here, and that was OK, I guess, but now, it is just ridiculous what gets scrambled.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 16, 2013 09:49AM
There was a post the other day where a word was banned that names our species...

Homo sapiens
Date: July 16, 2013 09:58AM
freeradical
There was a post the other day where a word was banned that names our species...

Homo sapiens

Exactly, just silly.
Most of us here are adults, so this level of filtering is juvenile.

Posted by: Janit
Date: July 16, 2013 10:24AM
rgG
freeradical

Homo sapiens

Exactly, just silly.

Please PM the admin with you calm, well-reasoned case for restoring specific words. I have done so myself, but I think it will take input from several people to motivate restoration of sanity on this.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 16, 2013 10:32AM
rgG
freeradical

Homo sapiens

Exactly, just silly.

It really reminds me of Jimmy Kimmel's Unnecessary Censorship clips.

Date: July 16, 2013 11:13AM
Janit
rgG
freeradical

Homo sapiens

Exactly, just silly.

Please PM the admin with you calm, well-reasoned case for restoring specific words. I have done so myself, but I think it will take input from several people to motivate restoration of sanity on this.

I think the whole new filtering thing should be removed, as it was before.
I don't think the admins will be able to do that, as we are in a 'family friendly' mode on the forum now.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 16, 2013 11:23AM
Homo erectus
Posted by: August West
Date: July 16, 2013 12:47PM
On the original topic, someone mentioned the right solution already. If you have significant suspicion, just let the corporate LP person know. All the checkout stations are on video that is held for a long time.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Posted by: rz
Date: July 16, 2013 03:00PM
As George Carlin used to say.. "It's ok to say Roberto Clemente has two balls on him." But you can't say "He really hurt his balls on that play... he's holding them, he must have hurt them..."
Date: July 16, 2013 03:53PM
Used to be it was basically only the F word that got that treatment here, and that was OK, I guess

Probably, but it's one of my favorite words, if confined to a sexual context or used judiciously outside of sex. (Can we type that? S-e-x, I mean.)

Yes, auto editing is a pain because context is not considered. I liked the idea of human admins doing the work, though autobots are quicker if less discriminating.

I am that Masked Man.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: Randalls
Date: July 16, 2013 05:25PM
'He said F Word!' (followed by Beavis and B$tthead chortles....)
I guess I haven't been following the censorship issue but really seems a bit juvenile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2013 05:26PM by Randalls.
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: July 16, 2013 09:09PM
In addition to the original post, before it was hijacked, customers pay higher prices for every theft that occurs from the store. Stores don't lose revenue - they pass it on the their customers.

Let us know what you do with a follow up, please.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 166
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020