advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
screen door replacement
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 18, 2013 08:17PM
we have a vintage pella (40yo...?) sliding patio door. The screen is poo.
Pella wants a mortgage payment to replace, which they insist must be done by them (WTF?).

I was looking at "universal" (aluminum) sliding screen doors with "adjustable" height, at Homeys today.
In looking at the door (as much as one can in package) I'm not so sure it's universal.
I don't mind a little odd, but I'd hate for it to look like a kludge.

Has anyone any experience with this kind of project?

!#$@@$#!

proofraed by OwEn the c@t.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: screen door replacement
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 18, 2013 08:34PM
this_thread_is_useless_without_pics

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 18, 2013 09:03PM
Any neighborhood hardware store will happily replace the screen . Just remove the screen door ( lift UP, the bottom comes off the track , tilt it out, pull down , the top comes off the track).

Easy
Date: July 18, 2013 10:16PM
should ahve been clearer.
the frame is trashed due to a high speed dog who wasn't patient with the pet door.
The screen I've replaced a few times, that's no big.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: M>B>
Date: July 19, 2013 12:27AM
As seen on TV...

[www.magicmeshscreens.com]|sm|go|gn&a_aid=011&a_bid=3f4b15e5
Date: July 19, 2013 07:38AM
saw that yesterday at Homeys. Terrible user experiences.

!#$@@$#!

Date: July 19, 2013 08:13AM
Ah.. oh.. the frame. Dang. "High Speed Dog".. smiley-excited001 Been there...

The only problem with a universal is the track design, and how well the door will fit into the track, and whether or not the universal will 'seal' at the top and bottom and keep the buggies out.

As far as the doggie... I put a screen 'guard' in front of our screen doors... basically an expanded metal mesh that screws on the inside of the screen. Of course your big doggie might break that too, but it's a more obvious 'barrier' to a doggie in a hurry, so they tend to stop.
Date: July 19, 2013 08:24AM
not a big dog. a pug. she was a punk kid then, now she's a tad slower, but not much.
when she hit the pet door last time, she pulled the pet door out and knocked the whole screen door on her head and continued on the mission without stopping.

In any case the little plastic screws that adjust the vertical alignment of the track rollers on the slider got snapped inside the frame. In trying to get them out I messed up the metal part of the frame that holds the actual screen.
Course pella doesn't have that part anymore.

!#$@@$#!

Date: July 19, 2013 08:27AM
Fritz-
Oddly, home stores usually carry replacement kits for those roller gizmos. Is it possible to rig up a solution using a wooden support thingy ? If you feel like a photo, I might be able to offer a solution.

(Disclaimer... worked my way through engineering school doing apartment building maintenance. I must have repaired in excess of a hundred screen doors in my teen years. It was the #1 maintenance call, above dripping faucets. And yes... doggies featured in most of them. )
Date: July 19, 2013 09:00AM
cbelt. found the rollers and the plastic screws they adjust with, but the metal frame that the screws screw into is what I f'd up.
The metal frame is the interior surround that holds the screen in. That in turn screws into a wooden frame that drops in the slots.

This is the repair made to the frame where the wood was shattered by jet dog. Just a flat piece of wood glued over for strength.

This is the metal frame that I f'd up. I destroyed the thread of the other screw adjust hole that isn't seen here.

This is what homeys offers. The photos don;'t explain much.

!#$@@$#!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 167
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020