advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Video out on video iPod is pretty fancy
Posted by: honu
Date: January 06, 2006 08:39AM
I connected it to my 51" widescreen. Video is pretty much what you'd expect when you blow up a 320x240 file. Still comparable to broadcast TV. I guess it depends on the original file before you export. I'll try it with DVDs later.

Feel free to chime in with your experiences/comments.

-----
"This Macresource Forum rocks!"
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Video out on video iPod is pretty fancy
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: January 06, 2006 08:56AM
> Video is pretty much what you'd expect when you blow up a 320x240 file. Still comparable to broadcast TV.

That's surprising since it's one quarter the resolution of a standard broadcast--it blows up to fill the screen?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2006 08:57AM by jimbrady.
Posted by: honu
Date: January 06, 2006 09:25AM
jimbrady Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's surprising since it's one quarter the
> resolution of a standard broadcast--it blows up to
> fill the screen?

Blew up just fine to the full 51" widescreen length.

-----
"This Macresource Forum rocks!"
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: January 06, 2006 09:29AM
jimbrady Wrote:
> That's surprising since it's one quarter the
> resolution of a standard broadcast

That's not totally true.

Broadcast (NTSC) uses interlacing and only delivers something like 640x240 per frame. Odd scan lines are sent in one frame and the even ones are sent in the following one.
So in a sense, 320x240 is half the resolution of standard broadcast. In another sense, it is one quarter (if you deinterlace and compare them at 15fps).
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: January 06, 2006 09:41AM
maybe they can do the UPConverting with the next release and have an HDMI connector.
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: January 06, 2006 09:46AM
Good points, Tominator; so does a CRT TV actually create interlacing from a non-broadcast source like a prog. scan DVD or handycam?

Main reason I was surprised is that I've compared 640x480 to 320x240 on the 4 inch screen of my Epson picture viewer, and the diff in quality is stark.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: January 06, 2006 10:13AM
jimbrady Wrote:
> Good points, Tominator; so does a CRT TV actually
> create interlacing from a non-broadcast source
> like a prog. scan DVD or handycam?

Essentially yes. It isn't the CRT TV that does it but the connecting technology, I think. The NTSC video out is interlaced. I don't have progressive scan equipment so I'm not sure what type of connectors/ports/interface it uses. But I would expect that getting a progressive scan DVD player and connecting it to a traditional CRT TV is a waste of time in the sense that you aren't getting the benefit of the progressive signal.

Anyone got any better info on this?

Edit:

Note that VHS tapes don't store the full NTSC 640x480 interlaced. There are less scan lines in that format. It still looks pretty good on a CRT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2006 10:15AM by TheTominator.
Posted by: Wolf Larsen
Date: January 06, 2006 10:29AM
Bought a $16 cable from Radio Shack the other day (just switch the red and yellow jacks and remember to change settings to TV out). I was very pleased with the quality. Of course its not as good as a DVD, but if you are stuck somewhere with out your DVD's and there is a TV available (Hotel, relatives, etc.) then it is very viewable
Posted by: davester
Date: January 06, 2006 10:43AM
Yes, the progressive signal from a progressive DVD player will NOT play on a standard definition TV. Such a TV can only receive interlaced images and all devices that play to it are designed to output interlaced content. Even if you don't receive HDTV content at home, a big advantage of an HDTV or EDTV set is that it can render DVDs in much higher resolution if you have a decent progressive player. Note though that many of the cheapo progressive players do not properly deinterlace due to crummy decoders and software bugs so you can still get motion artifacts going this way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2006 10:45AM by davester.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 06, 2006 12:16PM
Video tapes have the full number of vertical scan lines - 480 interlaced. They compromise by having roughly half the horizontal resolution of a full-TV signal - around 270 lines.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 199
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020