Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Geeks.com shutting down
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: August 02, 2013 06:23PM
FYI. Just received this email.

Geeks.com Ordering Is Being Turned Off...

After 17 years of service, almost half a billion dollars’ worth of computer products put in the hands of loyal Geeks worldwide, jobs for hundreds of people and support for their family members. That is what Geeks.com meant to us and the people who worked here. Words cannot express our gratitude for the relationships and customers we have developed.

But all good things come to an end.

As of today, Friday, August 2nd, 2013, we are turning off ordering on Geeks.com. We will cease to sell and ship products immediately. Geeks.com has always stood behind our products and don’t intend to stop now. We plan on fulfilling all of our responsibilities and liabilities, including, orders, any credits due will be issued, and we will have a small staff on hand to answer questions, to process returns, and to faithfully honor warranties. Please be patient as we will have no phone support. Please click here for any customer service related issues. If you have a problem with a product or a technical question we can help with, please send it here. The corporation itself is not closing. Our retail store in Oceanside California is open for business and will remain open!

Our vision has always been to provide the geeky tech consumer an alternative avenue to purchase quality refurbished and new techy products and gadgets. That vision was the cornerstone of our slogan “Best Deals Every Nanosecond”. Unfortunately after a lot of difficult consideration the owners of Geeks.com feel we are unable to come through on this vision any longer.

There are many why's... The e-commerce landscape, as well as the consumer electronics market, has changed dramatically with intense competition and a 1000lb gorilla (do we really need to say who) competitor that can lose millions of dollars to buy customers and suck up inventory. They can lose money with impunity, supported by the stock market. We cannot.

Our wholesale division Evertek.com is still available for our business to business customers. Please visit our website for further information.

We are deeply sorry and saddened by the impact this will have on the families of our staff members, on our own families, and on the community of customers who were a part of us.

We are very hopeful that we can turn ordering back on at some future date.

In the meantime feel free to use our Facebook page as a way to express your thoughts on our decision or anything about Geeks.com, computers, and consumer electronics. We welcome and would love your feedback. The days and weeks ahead are going to be difficult for all, and like anyone, we need cheering up too smiling smiley

With fond memories of the past and with hope for the future, we are signing off...

The Geeks Team

Don't know if any of you use them or not.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Geeks.com shutting down
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: August 02, 2013 06:29PM
Bummer, they always had a great mix of tech stuff.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 02, 2013 06:31PM
Can't say I am suprised.
Wonder if the 1000 lb. gorilla has an ugly blue logo.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 02, 2013 06:34PM
Bummer... I liked the availability of used/refurbed stuff they carried!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: hal
Date: August 02, 2013 06:36PM
Makes sense to me - used to buy from them often, but it's been a few years since I've been to the web site.

I find it peculiar that they are just shutting down 'ordering' - everything else is up and running...

We are very hopeful that we can turn ordering back on at some future date.

what does THAT means? If they need help finding the 'on' switch, it shouldn't be that hard...
Posted by: DRR
Date: August 02, 2013 06:46PM
rgG
Can't say I am suprised.

I assumed they were talking about amazon? Who has the ugly blue logo?
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 02, 2013 07:35PM
DRR
rgG
Can't say I am suprised.

I assumed they were talking about amazon? Who has the ugly blue logo?

Worst Buy???
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: August 02, 2013 07:35PM
hal
Makes sense to me - used to buy from them often, but it's been a few years since I've been to the web site.

Recession.

I came to browse the computer stuff on sale, stayed to buy some clever little gadget... then my wallet took a series of hits and I stopped buying tech-toys on the spur-of-the-moment.
Posted by: Black
Date: August 02, 2013 07:50PM
Would have to be Rakuten or Amazon, no?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 02, 2013 08:01PM
Black

I was thinking WalMart.
They sell a lot of electronics

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: August 02, 2013 08:05PM
My first thought was Walmart, too, but I bet it's Amazon.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: August 03, 2013 12:00AM
Noooooo...

Where am I going to buy my sonic screwdrivers and Tardis USB hubs and... and...

THIS SUCKS.

arrrgh. whine smiley banghead smiley
Posted by: jimsellsmoore
Date: August 03, 2013 01:13AM
The big blue banner is best buy.
Geek s . Com vs geek squad.
It was a name violation.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 03, 2013 02:58AM
I wouldn't have thought Amazon or Walmart.

They just don't sell the same stuff, for the most part.

Even the name thing seems a bit of a stretch.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: artie67
Date: August 03, 2013 03:04AM
Evertek is the wholesale/resale only side of Geeks.com. They worked out of the same warehouse in Oceanside,CA until a few years ago. They moved the main warehouse to Temecula, Ca. To buy from Evertek you need a resale # and thus no taxes in CA. If you don't buy $100 worth of goods you will suffer a 10% add on the total. They like to sell in volume and keep the riff-raff like me out. Though I have an account with them and really need 10 Toshiba laptops I will pass.
Sorry to see the retail end go. I think my first purchase was "Hi-Tech Vac". Used it to clean keyboards etc. Still have it.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 03, 2013 01:31PM
rgG
Black

I was thinking WalMart.
They sell a lot of electronics

I suppose but Walmart's electronics selection is so limited.

After seeing this post, it occurred to me that it's been a long time since I got a promo email from Geeks. I kind of forgot about them.

Date: August 03, 2013 02:32PM
Read the words by geeks.com "the consumer electronics market" can only mean Best Buy. It surely is not Amazon or Walmart. They sell alot more then electronics. Raukuten is formally buy.com and they sell on Best Buys site so it cant be them. That leaves companies like newegg.com, buy.com and tigerdirect.com. None of these are big enough to have any effect. Maybe it's Radio Shack (Yea Right).
Date: August 03, 2013 07:32PM
jimsellsmoore
Read the words by geeks.com "the consumer electronics market" can only mean Best Buy. It surely is not Amazon or Walmart. They sell alot more then electronics. Raukuten is formally buy.com and they sell on Best Buys site so it cant be them. That leaves companies like newegg.com, buy.com and tigerdirect.com. None of these are big enough to have any effect. Maybe it's Radio Shack (Yea Right).

So you joined the forum just to comment on Geeks? Interesting...
Date: August 03, 2013 07:53PM
Hall should keep his pointed little comment to himself. You must really don,'t have a life. please comment on the topic not ypor bad attitude.
Date: August 03, 2013 09:32PM
It's discussion forum - I found it interesting that you've just joined up and have only taken part in this one thread and said so. I didn't imply anything negative about it, but am beginning to think that you're a jerk.
Date: August 03, 2013 09:32PM
so there!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2013 09:42PM by hal.
Date: August 03, 2013 09:57PM
Hal, I can tell right off the bat that you own a Mac computer or one of those feminine IPads or maybe a crappy IPhone. Well I'm not starting to think you are a jerk. I know you are a petit (that french for small) person who must criticize others. Grow up. Oh by the way I will not be coming to your little forum (that you think you run) anymore. I don't like people like you.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 03, 2013 10:56PM
jim, no reason to go away, hal is just our resident curmudgeon. surrender

jimsellsmoore
Hal, I can tell right off the bat that you own a Mac computer or one of those feminine IPads or maybe a crappy IPhone. Well I'm not starting to think you are a jerk. I know you are a petit (that french for small) person who must criticize others. Grow up. Oh by the way I will not be coming to your little forum (that you think you run) anymore. I don't like people like you.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2013 11:51PM by Speedy.
Date: August 03, 2013 11:10PM
Thanks Speedy
I'm from Rochester by the way.
I wont spew anymore garbage at Hal.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 04, 2013 04:10AM
Speedy
jim, no reason to go away, hal is just our resident curmudgeon. surrender

I thought that was me!

It is what it is.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: August 04, 2013 05:59AM
Bummer - I've bought a few items from them over the years, but nothing recently. Their technical support area was very good - you were able to download manuals and drivers for the items they sold.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 04, 2013 08:15AM
Wow, Geeks and Monoprice in the same week. That sucks (yes, I know Monoprice isn't closing).

Geeks was a good source for large 4:3 LCDs. Lots of arcade DIY-ers are going to be sad to see them go...
Posted by: Dick Moore
Date: August 04, 2013 03:04PM
My goto for PCs and displays for friends -- got some awesome deals. Too bad. Maybe the bank decided to limit their purchasing credit -- that will hurt in a hurry....

What it is, man, a low-down and funky feelin'
Posted by: decay
Date: August 04, 2013 03:54PM
Dick Moore
My goto for PCs and displays for friends -- got some awesome deals. Too bad. Maybe the bank decided to limit their purchasing credit -- that will hurt in a hurry....

not to veer into political waters, but banks are happy to raise everyone's loan & CC interest rates to record levels, while cutting back on business loans, which helps keep people working to pay their bills.

---
Date: August 04, 2013 10:29PM
jimsellsmoore

Yep - definitely a jerk...

please do stay away...
Date: August 04, 2013 11:21PM
Hal
Last post.
It sounds like I'm not the only one in the forum that has a problem with you. It seems like you are kind of an outcast and your opinion really isn't valued or appreciated. I've read some of your past post and understand that I am not really dealing with a rational person. Hal there are about a million other forums out there on the internet and I'm sorry I infringed on your group. I thought the subject was interesting seeing I got emails from geeks.com. I posted a second time to clarify my first post. I thought I had valid opinion on the subject. That is when you jumped my As_ and my feelings were hurt. I'm a big boy thou and can take a hint. I guess I just do not belong in your group (Is this high school). Thanks Speedy for trying to apologize for Hal. I read your first two other posts that your edited and I agree with all of them. Cheers Hal keep up the good work on making sure people who don't belong don't get to play.
Posted by: southe500
Date: September 27, 2013 05:28PM
i guess we have find a new site where to buy use electronics products.
Posted by: southe500
Date: September 27, 2013 05:30PM
i just found a site where you can buy use stuff at ebuybit.com
i thought you might be interested.
[www.ebuybit.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2013 05:33PM by southe500.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 71
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020