advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Woolworth Building Lobby Tours Available
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 06, 2013 07:05AM
The lobby is worthy of the building. It used to be one of the highlights of any New York visit.

Tours Offered of Historic Woolworth Building Lobby
NEW YORK August 6, 2013 (AP)

For decades, the vaulted mosaic ceilings and sculpted figures in the lobby of New York City's Woolworth Building were off-limits to the public. That's changing now. Sculpted figures in the lobby of New York City's Woolworth Building were off-limits to the public. That's changing now.

The Wall Street Journal says small tour groups are being organized by the great-granddaughter of the building's architect.

Cass Gilbert designed the building for Frank Winfield Woolworth, the founder of the discount store empire. It was the tallest building in world from 1913 to 1930.

Helen Post Curry, owner of a Connecticut design and event management firm called Look, had arranged tour groups for the building's centennial in April. They were so successful that the building's management has agreed to continue them on a trial basis.

Tours can be booked online at www.woolworthtours.com.

The building's exterior and interior received landmark status in 1983.

Unfortunately, they charge $10, $30 and $40 for the 15/45/90 minute tours.

====================

Try the Fred French Building on Fifth Avenue instead... it's free.
The Chrysler Building ground floor is pretty amazing as well.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Woolworth Building Lobby Tours Available
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 06, 2013 07:32AM
An iPod playing "Rhapsody in Blue" in a loop is required. Love the architecture !
Posted by: tronnei
Date: August 06, 2013 08:15AM

Cass Gilbert designed the building

Minnesota boy done good. In the late 90s I worked in his Endicott Building in downtown St. Paul, which was cool (even if the job wasn't). Sadly it now sits empty and deteriorating.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 06, 2013 08:18AM
so it is Wellworth it......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 06, 2013 08:36AM
"And stay out of the Woolworths!"

Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: August 06, 2013 08:44AM
Just the one or all locations?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 06, 2013 11:15AM
Beautiful.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 06, 2013 04:21PM
I was in there once years ago, before the lobby areas were closed to public access (they should never have been allowed to do that). It's an amazing place, and a tour is a good idea if you want to get the most out of a visit: but they ought to make the prices a lot more reasonable. In any case, it's well worth seeing for anyone interested in architecture of that period.

I worked for years in the Chanin Building at 42nd and Lex, catty corner from the Chrysler Building. Both of those deco lobbies are worth a look. The Chanin Building's lobby was restored some time after I'd started working there. The original ceiling had been covered up with a tacky accoustic tile ceiling, among other cheesy, cheap "fixes". It looks great since being restored. Mr. Chanin kept an office there until he was into his 90s.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: August 07, 2013 07:00AM
Would love to see any of these in person. I love Art Deco.

I managed to pick up these wonderful white linen hand towels with a beautiful cloud design. They are woven damask, with "Cloud Club" woven into the Hem. From the Private Club, once at the top of the Chrysler Building.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 157
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020