advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Rip book on cd
Posted by: pinion
Date: August 10, 2013 12:51PM
I have a book on CD. I would like to read that book onto my computer for use on my iPhone. What is the best software to do that? I would like for to tag everything automatically and what not.

Dictated but not read.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Rip book on cd
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 10, 2013 12:57PM
Most people call that an audiobook. Audible.com sells a bunch of them. You might find it easier to download the book from audible or buy it form iTunes or emusic instead of going through the hassle of ripping the disc.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: dfilpus
Date: August 10, 2013 01:05PM
Audiobook Builder. Splasm Software. [www.splasm.com]
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: August 10, 2013 01:12PM
I agree with the recommendation of Audiobook Builder.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 10, 2013 01:32PM
third on audiobookbuilder. unless you have a subscription, audiobooks on audible tend to be very expensive. on iTunes there's no subscription option so it's just plain pricey.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: digby
Date: August 10, 2013 05:31PM
If it's a book on multiple CDs, you can just rip each disk in iTunes. That's what a lot of people do with audiobooks (from B&N, used bookstores, or the library).
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 10, 2013 08:18PM
dfilpus, thank you for that link! I've been going nuts trying to do it through iTunes. When it works, its a bloody ordeal. I'll have to show it to the Reference Librarian I know.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: August 10, 2013 08:26PM
graylocks
audiobooks on audible tend to be very expensive. on iTunes there's no subscription option so it's just plain pricey.

Yeah. Audiobooks can get pretty expensive. I'd look into eMusic as an alternative to Audible/iTunes. Used to be cheaper, I think they have some sort of credit/sub plan, but honestly I'm not up to date at all.
Posted by: digby
Date: August 10, 2013 10:24PM
Ask that Reference Librarian you know if there's a "Digital Library" that you'd have access to. They have eBooks and audiobooks (as either WMA or mp3 files). You can download many of them immediately, but if you pick something popular, like Game f Thrones, you have to put a hold on it, and get an email alert when it's available. Then download it in hour-long files (just like a Book on CD).

Ripping a book's worth of disks in iTunes is really easy. Just takes a while for a long book.

Short version:
[www.macworld.com]

Exhaustive needlessly-complicated version:
[aldoblog.com]
Posted by: pinion
Date: August 13, 2013 06:04AM
I swear I left a comment the other day but maybe I didn't hit Post Message Hard enough. Anyway:

Thanks everybody. I'll check out that software. I had checked out Audible before but I remember it being kind of expensive and I really just one to get this one book ripped anyway and I'm willing to jump through some hoops. And thanks for that tip digby. My local library has many books I can listen to via the overdrive app.

Thanks all!

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 72
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020