advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OOh ! Shiny ! Thanks, OWC for the cool Apple Wireless Keyboard
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 14, 2013 07:29PM
I picked one up after WHiiP told us about the 3 computer license of MS Office. Because I can't buy just ONE thing. I really never liked the 'chiclet' keyboard that came with my old Bluetooth keyboard, or even the wired one. This is an actual real goshdarned keyboard. Very nice. Ice and snow color theme. My Mini likes it. My fingers like it. Yay !

Ed: This one
[eshop.macsales.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2013 07:31PM by cbelt3.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OOh ! Shiny ! Thanks, OWC for the cool Apple Wireless Keyboard
Posted by: Black
Date: August 14, 2013 07:42PM
cbelt3
I picked one up after WHiiP told us about the 3 computer license of MS Office. Because I can't buy just ONE thing. I really never liked the 'chiclet' keyboard that came with my old Bluetooth keyboard, or even the wired one. This is an actual real goshdarned keyboard. Very nice. Ice and snow color theme. My Mini likes it. My fingers like it. Yay !

Ed: This one
[eshop.macsales.com]

That's the kind that would have shipped with the original Intel iMacs, right? Yes, the last really great KB from Apple (besides the wired version.)

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 14, 2013 07:49PM
Is it Bluetooth or USB wireless. I looked at the description, and it didn't say. I assume it is BT, but wasn't sure.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: August 14, 2013 09:17PM
It's a wondrously Blue Toothy keyboard. And a great clicky keyboard. Admittedly the keys are a BIT close together, but the tactile nature of the keys makes me very happy. I'm old enough to miss my most favorite keyboard ever... and that was on a Honeywell keypunch machine (punched cards). I could make that sucker fly !
Posted by: silvarios
Date: August 14, 2013 09:29PM
I don't think that's a "clicky" keyboard, just a rubber dome model. The new keyboards are generally better, in my opinion as I like the scissor switches.
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 14, 2013 09:59PM
I have two of this model, and it's great. One came with an old ebay mac, the other I found NIB at at thrift store for $3. They'll last forever.
Date: August 14, 2013 11:49PM
p8712
I have two of this model, and it's great. One came with an old ebay mac, the other I found NIB at at thrift store for $3. They'll last forever.

Really, the rubber dome model? I had a USB version, black, and it did last for a while, but I'm not sure it was great. Better than the average rubber dome, maybe. Is the Bluetooth model much different than the USB model (either black or white model)?
Date: August 15, 2013 01:45AM
Black
That's the kind that would have shipped with the original Intel iMacs, right? Yes, the last really great KB from Apple (besides the wired version.)

Yeah, I think the wired USB variety shipped with at least two generations of Intel iMacs.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 15, 2013 02:45AM
Yes, I think that's rubber domed, but it is kinda click, especially compared to the newer, "flat" Mac keyboards.

Definitely not scissors-keys like the Apple extended or Matais, which are very clicky.

Makes me sound like a Movie/TV/super computer-hacker.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: August 15, 2013 08:16AM
RAMd®d
Yeah, but then you have to turn on all the sound effects and stuff. That's one feature of movie computer use that always makes me LOL. Anyone turning on the damn sound effects in any office usually gets them disabled rather agressively. In the old days we used to remove the speakers from the beige boxes.
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: August 15, 2013 11:29AM
I still don't understand why Apple doesn't make a new Bluetooth wireless keyboard WITH a number pad, just like the one we're talking about.

It would be the flat kind, like the other 2 new ones, but just add the numbers. Please...? It could even take more batteries, if the pad needs that much more power.

Jeff
Date: August 15, 2013 12:58PM
kj4btkljv
I still don't understand why Apple doesn't make a new Bluetooth wireless keyboard WITH a number pad, just like the one we're talking about.

It would be the flat kind, like the other 2 new ones, but just add the numbers. Please...? It could even take more batteries, if the pad needs that much more power.

Jeff

Apple likes to cut costs to keep margin high. A smaller keyboard, sans num pad, is likely cheaper to manufacture and package, either separately or when bundled with iMacs/Mac Pros. Remember, Apple even ditched the full size USB keyboard.

As far as increased battery power, the older mini Bluetooth keyboard used to take three batteries, while newer models take two. I'm sure a full size Bluetooth aluminum model would have been happy with either two or three batteries.

There are full size Bluetooth keyboards. I got my mom a Macally model two or three years ago. Less than $40 and works fine. Scissor switch, like the current Apple keyboards, but keys close together, no as little islands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2013 01:04PM by silvarios.
Date: August 15, 2013 01:14PM
Here's the Macally I got my mom, the BTKey
[www.macally.com]

Looks like Newegg has stock, about $46 shipped:
[www.newegg.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2013 01:21PM by silvarios.
Date: August 15, 2013 01:19PM
RAMd®d
Yes, I think that's rubber domed, but it is kinda click, especially compared to the newer, "flat" Mac keyboards.

Definitely not scissors-keys like the Apple extended or Matais, which are very clicky.

To clarify, by scissor, I meant the low profile key switches as used on newer Apple keyboards. Love them, as my wrists can't take the heavy duty Alps, buckling springs, or cherry clickety clackety anymore. Rubber domes are pretty bad, not low profile enough, nor, clickety enough. Weird middle ground.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2013 01:23PM by silvarios.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 71
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020