advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Not too shabby (new internet connection)
Posted by: steve...
Date: August 23, 2013 09:29PM
About twice the speed of my former ISP. How does this compare with others on the forum?

Northern California Coast
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Not too shabby (new internet connection)
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: August 23, 2013 09:36PM
teh suck...

Posted by: miK.
Date: August 23, 2013 10:04PM
My lowly scores...

Sometimes I wonder, "What would Hodor say in this situation?" - Jim Gaffigan

Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 23, 2013 10:10PM

of course, onthedownlow smokes us all.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 23, 2013 11:25PM
I do love cables burst speeds -- but never like how the price just "bursts" after 1 year...

Mine usually tests closer to 12 up/2 down...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2013 11:26PM by jdc.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 23, 2013 11:28PM
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 24, 2013 12:49AM
This is what I am getting while my kids stream movies and my wife is listening to some music.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2013 12:51AM by Rolando.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 24, 2013 01:00AM
Assuming it is not something like Powerboost that only lasts 10 seconds, better than average for standard full speed cable in 2013. I was getting peak Powerboost download speeds in 2006 but nowhere close to that upload speed.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: August 24, 2013 02:11AM

Comcast in Gresham, OR. smiling smiley Motorola Surfboard 5100 Docsis 2 Modem

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 24, 2013 07:06AM
graylocks

what is he getting?
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 24, 2013 07:08AM
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 24, 2013 09:02AM
I've been able to document Charter changing my speeds when I run Speedtest.net. If I run it when I suspect a slowdown, I'll see an improvement after running Speedtest for about thirty seconds, then molasses. If someone knows an alternative testing site that's more obscure so charter might not know about it, let me know.

I would guess my average real-life speed from the fastest service they offer to be about half the OP.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 24, 2013 09:12AM
space-time
graylocks

what is he getting?

check his sig in this thread. makes you just wanna slap him. Filliam H. Muffman is due for some comeuppance, too!

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 24, 2013 09:39AM
graylocks
Filliam H. Muffman is due for some comeuppance, too!

I lived with "680 Kbps" (closer to 610 Kbps real download speeds) from AT&T for almost five years after having seen peaks of almost 50 times that. Before I moved 15 months ago, I spent about 30 hours trying to find a place where I could get a good signal from a small company, but AT&T had put in terminals in almost every neighborhood, which effectively blocked it. I finally made a deal with the devil (Scumcast) and have to put up with their terrible service and policies. The current state of the internet in the US is due to money in politics, and it sucks.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 24, 2013 09:57AM
This is fact. Free enterprise [barely regulated monopoly] at its worst. Give me a government run, government funded fibre optic network.

Filliam H. Muffman
The current state of the internet in the US is due to money in politics, and it sucks.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: August 24, 2013 10:18AM
A data point from the low end of the sprectrum.

Consider though, this is from gowex.com. They provide free internet connection in various cities; if you can see one of they're wifi hotspots, you just sign up and go. It actually just manages to cross the threshold of 'usable'.

The connection can be just a tad flaky, but not intolerable, and if the connection drops, it's usually easy enough to reconnect with just a couple of clicks.

I can stream videos at low resolutions. Most pages load resonably fast, as long as they aren't graphics heavy. Downloads take patience, but still, not too bad for the money. Downloading a SD, hour long TV episode from iTunes is a return to the Holtline 'start it up at bedtime and watch it in the morning' days, but most things under 100MB are within the 'make a cup of coffee and it'll be done when you get back' range.

I've wanted to try the higher 3MB and 6MB connections they offer for a fee, but they have one of the worst web sites I've ever seen. They're based in Spain and the localization is completely @#$%&, among other faults.

Pages have information randomly presented in two different languages. Setting the language preference only sticks some of the time. The page for signing up for higher speeds has required information that is only relevant for european(?) countries. Fillling out pages results in looping back to the completed page when you click "Submit" (With no indication of any errors on the submitted page).

It's just a complete mess. So much so, that there's no way I'd trust that they got the security component of the site right and trust them with my personal and payment information.

Of course when you call them (Good luck tracking down a local phone number), you get a recording that says 'services' are not available at the moment and asks you to leave a number for a call back. I get the same recording no matter what time of the day or night that I calll.

In short, you get just a bit more than you're 'paying' for. big grin smiley
Posted by: gabester
Date: August 24, 2013 01:07PM
Speedy
This is fact. Free enterprise [barely regulated monopoly] at its worst. Give me a government run, government funded fibre optic network.

Filliam H. Muffman
The current state of the internet in the US is due to money in politics, and it sucks.

I mean, since we cannot deny that the US government is spying on us all anyway, we might as well let them cut out the middleman. It should save money!
Posted by: DCrunch
Date: August 25, 2013 01:21PM
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: August 26, 2013 11:04AM

Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020