advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
LG TV and non-functioning remote
Posted by: olnacl
Date: August 28, 2013 08:57PM
Hi All. I've been away from the forum recently - doing way more PC work than Mac and haven't had the time to visit. I'd like to pick the brains of the forumites on this problem though, if you don't mind.

A close friend has a couple year old LG 32" (or so) TV. Now and then the IR remote stops receiving instructions. As it turns out, there is a IR jack on the back of the set. From what I read on the web, this is so you can mount the TV into a "Picture Frame" and hang it on the wall so all you see is the screen itself. Thus the IR receiver at the lower right corner below the screen gets obscured by the frame. Enter the IR jack and an apparently nonexistent part from LG called an IR extender which can then be plugged into the jack and mounted somewhere that the remote can see and control the TV.

The IR Jack is normally closed. When the plug is inserted, like a headphone jack, the switch disables the front IR receiver and accepts the signal from the external receiver. The normally closed contacts are subject to corrosion and periodically insulate themselves when there is no external IR receiver attached, causing the front panel IR receiver to think an external is attached and it turns off. WD 40 and a headphone jack plugged in repeatedly cleans the contacts and it works for a few months and then fails again.

I'd like to make a more permanent fix and two thoughts occur. First, Comcast has a remote extender for some of their cable boxes which might be available. I wonder if anyone knows if it will work on an LG TV. A second thought I have is to simply plug a mono or stereo headphone jack into the IR jack receptacle , clip off all but a couple inches of the wires, then strip and twist bare the wires together - effectively making it a NC jack again.

Any comments? Have I missed something that will kill the TV set? Thanks for any help.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: LG TV and non-functioning remote
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 28, 2013 09:05PM
Soldering iron and done. A well placed drop of solder on the offending contacts will ensure you never have open contact ever again.
Date: August 28, 2013 09:13PM
I want this to be a non-invasive procedure. No desire to take the back off the TV. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Date: August 28, 2013 09:24PM
A second thought I have is to simply plug a mono or stereo headphone jack into the IR jack receptacle , clip off all but a couple inches of the wires, then strip and twist bare the wires together - effectively making it a NC jack again.

This will not work
Date: August 28, 2013 09:33PM
S'plains that to me, please. Aren't we just connecting the two electrical paths when we twist the wires together? Where's an ohmmeter when I really need one?
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 28, 2013 09:35PM
space-time
A second thought I have is to simply plug a mono or stereo headphone jack into the IR jack receptacle , clip off all but a couple inches of the wires, then strip and twist bare the wires together - effectively making it a NC jack again.

This will not work
Possibly, it is more than likely a physical switch. You would have to remove the back of the tv, snip or solder a wire and call it a day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2013 09:37PM by Carm.
Date: August 28, 2013 09:50PM
I think it's more like this - but I could be wrong…

Most commonly, a mono jack is provided with one normally closed (NC) contact, which is connected to the tip (live) connection when no plug is in the socket, and disconnected when a plug is inserted.

One problem is - I don't even know if it's a 2 conductor or even a 3 or 4 conductor jack.
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 28, 2013 10:17PM
It involves removing the back cover to find out.
Date: August 28, 2013 10:24PM
If you cut the cable and twist wires together, you effectively short the input, I.e. where the external sensor would have normally been connected, while the interal sensor will continue to stay disconnected.

Look up a diagram on how this works. Another way to think about it: your MacBook Pro has an internal microphone. Plug in an external jack, the microphone is disconnected. The MBP is now taking input from the external jack. Now you cut the cable and twist bare wires together. The MBP will NOT take signal from internal microphone, not until you unplug the jack.
Date: August 28, 2013 10:25PM
Carm
It involves removing the back cover to find out.

Then you might as well do some soldering
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 29, 2013 07:42AM
I would clean the contacts really well using a spray contact cleaner. WD40 is a bad choice as it attracts dust.

There's products available to prevent corrosion, but most are made for the boating industry and may not be so good to spray inside a tv. A good cleaning should last as long as the tv is old. It might be better and cheaper to spray the contacts once a year.

It might be possible to use an electrical contact lubricant. However, you would probably have to open the tv to do apply it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 224
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020