advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Could USPS at least be polite about not delivering packages?
Posted by: microchip
Date: September 13, 2013 10:04PM
I was expecting something via Priority today, and USPS happily reported:
Notice Left (Business Closed), 11:26 AM.

When, in fact, it seems that no mail has gotten to my apartment building today. And no notice was left. And my apartment isn't a business.

Just a tad annoyed. USPS managed to deliver mail yesterday in full-on flood conditions! (And today was nice and sunny!). Why couldn't they just put something like "too lazy to deliver" or "didn't make it to building before dinner time"?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Could USPS at least be polite about not delivering packages?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 13, 2013 10:58PM
Why couldn't they just put something like "too lazy to deliver" or "didn't make it to building before dinner time"?

Is that what you were told when you called to talk to the Manager of Customer Services?

Or are you all growed up now and as a typical forumite, just jump to conclusions without facts in evidence depending on your mood and petty biases.

If the former, I say that stinks.

If the latter, congratulations.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: September 14, 2013 12:23AM

Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 14, 2013 12:25AM
Yah, I've been trying to get them to deliver a package to my house for over a week now. They keep claiming I'm not at home. I'm at home all day. I even used their website to arrange a deliver time. Several days later they left a note saying the package is being held at the post office. I don't even know what it is...

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Wild eep
Date: September 14, 2013 01:05AM
Uncle Wig

Stay classy uncle wig...
Date: September 14, 2013 02:54AM
They keep claiming I'm not at home. I'm at home all day.

Call up your local office and tell them you want to speak to the Manager of Customer services. And when talking to him or her, if you feel your getting lip service (and certainly not the good kind) tell them you want the phone number for the district manager.

In over 50 years of dealing with the POD/USPS, I've had maybe five times I've had to call the PO and ask Whisky-Tango... I've never had to talk to anybody higher than the Manager.

I can't be the only one getting great service. Unless your local delivery office is giving you chronically bad service, you should be able to clear this up by talking to the right people.

Be polite but be firm. They'll likely know the difference between a threat and a promise.

I am that Masked Man.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: WHiiP
Date: September 14, 2013 05:54AM
We have two very nice and responsible delivery people. Any packages are left by our side door. This means that they get out of their vehicle and walk it to the door, usually followed with a knock.

I am very pleased with all my drivers/delivery people, USPS, Fed-Ex, UPS. Even DHL, but I haven't seen them in quite a while.

It probably helps living in a town of 4,500 people.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 14, 2013 06:40AM
microchip
I was expecting something via Priority today, and USPS happily reported:
Notice Left (Business Closed), 11:26 AM.

I had a similar event this week. Working from home, USPS website reported that the package was out for delivery. Never came. Next day, when I'm not home, I get a delivery notice in the mailbox. I had to go pick it up as it required a signature.

I wonder if there will be mail delivery in 10 years.
Posted by: Spock
Date: September 14, 2013 07:42AM
microchip
" no mail has gotten to my apartment building today".

Any adverse weather conditions in your area that could have hindered delivery?

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: September 14, 2013 07:44AM
This is my experience nearly every time I have a package. The carrier lies and says I'm not home when, often, I'm outside and 100' from her when she is at the mailbox. If she'd ever drive down the driveway, I'd hear her and be outside to meet her within seconds. She will also spend several minutes at the mailbox, crushing the package so that it will fit inside(saving her the 110' driveway with the large turnaround at the end). My mailbox's siding is broken from this, and the plastic is bowed. When I pry the package out, it's torn/damaged.

This has gone on for years, so I've spoken to the Postmaster several times. He backs up the carrier. When I've gone higher up, the matter is referred back to the local Postmaster. One thing that is improved after all of this is that the carrier no longer leaves packages precariously balanced on top of the mailbox... one fell in the road and was run over. At least they got her to stop that!

Some excuses I've heard for not trying to deliver include that it was icy(55 degree day)or that there was a loose dog(no dog here-afraid of the 5 lb barn cat?).

Our UPS driver, OTOH, is so wonderful that I routinely send messages of praise to his manager. If I'm almost home and he has a package that requires a signature, he'll stop me on the road. I hope they are doing something for him, because I've never heard back.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 14, 2013 08:22AM
happens to me all the time.......once got a final notice for a package and this was like a month after it was supposed to be delivered.....never got any other notices to indicate that I had received a package.......it depends on your carrier....

I know postal workers are overworked but really come on......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 14, 2013 08:51AM
The mail delivery in brooklyn frequently sucks but package delivery from FedEx and UPS is awesome. None of that BS here.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 14, 2013 10:57AM
Of all the delivery drivers, my UPS driver is the best.

If I leave the side gate unlocked, he'll open it up and stick a package behind it so it's hidden.

The post office is the worst. The leave packages propped up against the front door.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 14, 2013 11:20AM
freeradical
The post office is the worst. The leave packages propped up against the front door.

At least you get that. It's a mixed bag here, but often the packages get left on top of the mailboxes at the curb.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 14, 2013 11:43AM
Our post office branch is dreadful. Packages sometimes languish there for days or weeks before a mail carrier leaves a notice (claiming that they attempted delivery, something they never do). However, Priority Mail will show those packages as "delivered".

Going to the post office to pick up the package will suck at least half an hour out of your day, in addition to the time it takes to walk there and back (about 5 minutes each way).
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 14, 2013 12:26PM
ka jowct
Our post office branch is dreadful. Packages sometimes languish there for days or weeks before a mail carrier leaves a notice (claiming that they attempted delivery, something they never do). However, Priority Mail will show those packages as "delivered".

Going to the post office to pick up the package will suck at least half an hour out of your day, in addition to the time it takes to walk there and back (about 5 minutes each way).

I've had the "shown as delivered" happen to me often, once just this past week. I'm told they do that to keep their times within targets, though others have told me that they mark it as delivered when it's placed on the truck for delivery. That's not delivered, IMO, but your P.O. thinks otherwise.

Conversely, one town over, there is the nicest post office I've ever dealt with. I have my P.O. Box there. Very friendly, very helpful. My only wish is that they accepted UPS & FedEx delivery -- and, according to an email I got from the Postmaster General's office, that's in the cards for most P.O. Box locations in the near future.

Date: September 14, 2013 06:09PM
That's not delivered, IMO, but your P.O. thinks otherwise.

No, it's not, and the PO agrees with you. It's the carrier.

I had a discussion about this very thing with a carrier (a former member of my MUG) and my PO box clerk. There was some confusion about when a package should be marked delivered. Packages too big for the box were being marked Delivered instead of Attempted Delivery and now Notice Left, via USPS online tracking. (Saw this for the first time recently).

My condolences to those with continually poor service. I will say that since UPS and FedEx don't have nearly as many deliveries as the average carrier, their delivery record should be excellent, nationwide. That's still no excuse for continually poor service, and I'm glad I've never had to deal with it.

I am that Masked Man.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 228
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020