The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"Mach_Kernel" file with generic icon in root directory of boot drive
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 10, 2013 03:05PM
"Mach_Kernel" file with generic icon in root directory of boot drive

Hi everyone,

Just noticed something and want to be sure it's the known issue from the OS 10.8.5 supplemental update or possibly a sign of a bigger issue. I recently noticed a file called "mach_kernel" with a generic icon in the root directory of my startup disk. It's on my tower at home and I'm seeing it on my office imac as well. Neither machine displayed these files previously and both machines are running nicely. No signs of any problems at all. Disk Utility and Drive Genius gave both machines a clean bill of health.

I don't remember seeing the file until very recently, i.e. the last few days. So, I suspect it may be the result of the OS 10.8.5 supplemental update. If I remember correctly, "Mach_kernel" is a critical component of the OS. So, I am absolutely not messing with it. Not moving it. Not deleting it. Nothing. I don't want to risk skewing the machines to the point that I must restore them from backups.

Bear in mind, I recently cloned the internal drive of my office's imac to an external and am now using the external as the boot drive. I used Carbon Copy Cloner for the task. Same goes from when I moved my tower from a platter drive to an SSD several months ago. I used Carbon Copy Cloner for the task. Since the file only just appeared, I decided a connection between it and Carbon Copy Cloner was unlikely and that the appearance of the Mach_Kernel file is related to the OS 10.8.5 supplemental update.

I'm assuming I am correct and tthis file is that special critical file and treating it with the respect it deserves. That and I believe it's supposed to be hidden. Any suggestions as to what to do with the file on each machine, aside from ignoring it entirely? Advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Mach_Kernel" file with generic icon in root directory of boot drive
Posted by: DRR
Date: October 10, 2013 03:13PM
I had the same problem when I went to Lion. It's supposed to be there, but its permission is supposed to be hidden. Yours, like mine, got switched somehow to visible during the upgrade.

If it doesn't bother you, just leave it. You could try doing a Repair Permissions but it's possible DU might not even have permission to repair/alter that file.

If it does bother you, I'm sure you could sudo and find instructions on how to make it visible, but obviously there's a risk involved in that.
Posted by: michaeld50
Date: October 10, 2013 04:10PM
Active discussion:

[discussions.apple.com]
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: October 10, 2013 04:47PM
Also mentioned on Macintouch.

Just change the flags and hide it.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: October 11, 2013 03:36PM
What do you mean by "just change the flags and hide it"?
I'm not too comfortable in Terminal to run:
sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel
Any help or just leave it alone?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020