advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Add Printer in Mavericks
Posted by: norse
Date: November 12, 2013 02:32AM
I'm trying to add an old Canon S800 printer. When I click the + in Printers & Scanners, the Addprinter opens. However, there are no printers of any brand showing. I type Canon in the search and nothing happens.

What the heck is going on?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Add Printer in Mavericks
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 12, 2013 02:46AM
Maybe there's no driver for you.

[www.usa.canon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2013 02:46AM by freeradical.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: November 12, 2013 06:52AM
norse
I'm trying to add an old Canon S800 printer. When I click the + in Printers & Scanners, the Addprinter opens. However, there are no printers of any brand showing.

Repair permissions and reboot.

The list should populate after that.
Posted by: ADent
Date: November 12, 2013 10:16AM
The printer drivers for most printers are not loaded.

They download automatically after you select it, but you can't select it until it is downloaded.

I had to download the HP printer package from Apple so I could add my trusty old LaserJet with the specific driver.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: November 12, 2013 01:02PM
I would suggest not downloading printer drivers directly from the manufacturer.

OS X should automatically recognize connected printers. In most cases it will the automatically add the printer, downloading the appropriate driver if necessary.

[support.apple.com]
[support.apple.com]
[support.apple.com]

If things still don't happen as they should, Chakravartin's suggestion is a good first troubleshooting step.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2013 01:04PM by Article Accelerator.
Date: November 12, 2013 01:41PM
I originally did have the printer on the list but when I went to print, I got a filter error. I tried reprinting but kept getting the same error. I deleted the printer thinking it needed a re-install.

That's when I found the AddPrinter window was empty. After Googling, I installed CUPS and Gimp print. Still nothing.

I'll try repair permission when I get home tonight.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 12, 2013 01:53PM
Norse,

A friend recently had an issue with is Brother HL-2270DW. It was reflecting a low toner error despite having a near brand-new toner cartridge. The fix that resolved the issue was downloading the most recent printer driver from the Brother web site. I know it goes against some of the advice in this thread but it solved the problem. Just figured I'd throw that into the mix as a possible last resort solution.

Robert
Date: November 12, 2013 02:50PM
Robert,

I believe I read that thread when I was searching for answers.

Apparently Canon doesn't seem to offer any drivers as of 10.6 (or so).
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: November 12, 2013 04:19PM
norse
I originally did have the printer on the list but when I went to print, I got a filter error. I tried reprinting but kept getting the same error. I deleted the printer thinking it needed a re-install.

That's when I found the AddPrinter window was empty. After Googling, I installed CUPS and Gimp print. Still nothing.

I'll try repair permission when I get home tonight.

First follow the links I cited.
Date: November 12, 2013 11:12PM
Looking back at the original post, I also suggest power-cycling the printer (turn it off and on) and completely removing and re-connecting the USB cable at both ends.
Date: November 13, 2013 11:07AM
I finally got the printer to work.

I repaired permissions and DU repaired a ton of Canon drivers. Still an empty AddPrinter window.

I slowly read through the links provided by Article Accelerator and read about USB connections. I powered the printer off/on several times and disconnected the USB cable on the printer end several times without success.

THEN I looked at the other end of the USB cable and it was connected to the router. I forgot I used a laptop in the past until got an iPad. I moved the cable from the router to a USB port and the printer showed up with a GIMP driver. The printer printed but did not function "normally". I uninstalled GIMP and regular drivers showed up. However, there wasn't a S800 driver. I used a S820 driver and the printer seems to work. The print queue window does not close after printing though.

Thanks for everyone's help!!
Date: November 13, 2013 04:42PM
> The print queue window does not close after printing though.

Try control-clicking on the printer icon in the Dock. See if there's an auto-quit option.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020