advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dying iMac G4 Hard drive?
Posted by: swf
Date: November 22, 2013 12:51PM
I thinkI know the answer, but here is the situation. Have an OLD G4 iMac that is giving me trouble. Desktop froze, so I restarted. Won't get past the chime and Apple logo. No spinning gear. It will boot from the Firewire clone. I'm guessing that the hard drive is toast. Any thoughts? This is no big loss, as I'm about to pull the trigger on a Mini. But if I can resurrect it, some charity might find it useful.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dying iMac G4 Hard drive?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: November 22, 2013 01:01PM
Old Skool PATA drive in there. Not sure it'll be worth the hassle of cracking it open to replace the drive as you'll need to find a replacement. If it's a 1.25 GHz version, maybe it has some legs left but unless you treat refurbing it as a hobby, it's not worth the time.

Sez the guy with a 15" 800 MHz iMac G4 sitting on the workbench in the garage.
Posted by: artie67
Date: November 22, 2013 01:46PM
Newegg had some used 3.5" 80G w/90 day for $10 with code. Free shipping.I got two yesterday. Rats! sold out.
Does the G4 iMac use 2.5" or 3.5"?
Ever crack one of these open? If not, here's a look..
[www.xlr8yourmac.com]
PM me if you need more info...
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: November 22, 2013 02:03PM
#1 Replace the PRAM Battery

Original came with a 3.5" drive 5400 RPM.

Not too hard to get to, just take your time and have an egg carton for the screws and such.

Do they make PATA SSDs?

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Date: November 22, 2013 02:23PM
OWC has a line of PATA SSDs. But what you really want if you go that route is their SATA SSDs with the PATA adapter so you can reuse the SATA SSD somewhere else when you no longer need the PATA drive.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 22, 2013 02:24PM
WHiiP

Do they make PATA SSDs?

Yes, but since they are a "specialty" configuration the prices have not come down like SATA SSD's. Seem to be running about $2/GB.
Date: November 22, 2013 02:25PM
An adapted SATA to PATA SSD does a very good job, even with the reduced throughput of PATA-66. I used one in my 1.2 GHz Cube for a while and the speed improvement was very nice. Reduced latency to the hard drive greatly contributes to the impression of speed.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: November 22, 2013 03:38PM
Worth replacing the drive IMHO These old iMacs make The Best Digital Picture Frames!

So you don't need anything big.... or fast, an old 20-80GB drive will be more than adequate... and you might as well change the PRAM battery while your in there...

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: November 22, 2013 03:45PM
I just installed a drive in a 17"/800 just to see if I could do it. Not that hard if you've worked on other computers, making sure all the wires are hooked back up was the worst of it. And yes, it works just fine.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 22, 2013 07:43PM
I have a 3.5 PATA if you need it, I think 60 or 80 GB. I found it in an old computer, tested the drive, works fine. Not sure how used or abused it was though. I was able to zero it out with disk utility. Yours for cost of shipping.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 22, 2013 07:50PM
WHiiP
... Do they make PATA SSDs?

as others have said, PATA are out there (espensive) or you could use some PATA/SATA adapter. But I wonder how you deal with TRIM in such an old OS (1.5 or even 10.4). Maybe someone from OWC can comment if their drives have a way to deal with TRIM in these old OSes
Posted by: pqrst
Date: November 23, 2013 04:04AM
One little caveat about drive size since I assume you will be using old osx, there is a maximum amount of drive space that can be accessed by older osx. I think it is 128gb. Just something to keep on mind. Owc used to sell a driver which let you access more but I do not know if it still available.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020