advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What's up with iOS App Store prices?
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: November 22, 2013 01:09PM
Seems like they are slowly (or not so slowly) creeping up.

Used to be that the "good" games were 99 cents or so.

Now, it seems you get either extreme - free games with in-app purchases or wildly expensive games.

Check out this Mickey Mouse game just released. It's $10!:

[itunes.apple.com]

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]
Subscribe here: [www.getrevue.co]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's up with iOS App Store prices?
Posted by: archipirata
Date: November 22, 2013 01:17PM
I've noticed that too. And on top of the base price increase, many of the paid games still have additional in app purchases to unlock or complete all the content.

Athens, OH
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 22, 2013 01:44PM
Was inevitable. I know some software developers. The numbers just drive price - it's almost impossible to make money with a 99 cent app unless it goes viral, or you have in-App purchases.

Lots of discussion on the web about how the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store has ruined the software market for a lot of developers. Who pays $10 for software these days?!
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: November 22, 2013 01:57PM
I welcome a move back to fair pay-once prices, and away from the freemium model.

It makes me sad that $10 for a good game would be considered "wildly expensive".
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 22, 2013 04:37PM
It makes me sad that $10 for a good game would be considered "wildly expensive".

I think the reason behind the 99¢ pricing was to get people in the "It's just a buck" spending mode.

People threw/throw money away on apps that turn out to be junk because the App Store comments are often unreliable and there are no trial versions, only some "lite" versions. Not to mention fraudulent versions of somebody else's apps. "And it's only a buck."

That's made it hard for me to part with even a sawbuck for an app, let alone a fin or more. We've paid far more for OS applications and never blinked, especially when trial versions were almost a given. And we didn't have to worry that we'd have to buy in-app for features that were missing.

I'm not a dev so the degree of difficulty between apps and applications is lost on my. But is seems apparent that flashlight apps don't keep the lights on. Every now and then somebody gets Angry Birds rich. Most people don't.

I'd like Apple to allow timed trial versions. It's much easier to pay for an app that you can test drive first. Reviews from credible sources are good, but not always thorough or objective, and tend to be few and far between.

Real, productive or entertaining apps cost real time and money to develop. Fair enough. But I want an opportunity to check it out first. At least with the Mac App Store, some apps like Pixelmator have a trial version from the site to try before you hit the MAS. And there's no separate licensing for single/multiple devices. That's another quandary for a developer, at least for OS applications-- to App Store or not to App Store.

We've sort of been living with artificially low prices and it looks like that's changing. I'd like to see the App Store grow up, now. (But I really do like the "…as many computers and iDevices as you own" aspect.)

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: November 22, 2013 07:06PM
RAMd®d

I think the reason behind the 99¢ pricing was to get people in the "It's just a buck" spending mode.

People threw/throw money away on apps that turn out to be junk because the App Store comments are often unreliable and there are no trial versions, only some "lite" versions. Not to mention fraudulent versions of somebody else's apps. "And it's only a buck."

That's made it hard for me to part with even a sawbuck for an app, let alone a fin or more. We've paid far more for OS applications and never blinked, especially when trial versions were almost a given. And we didn't have to worry that we'd have to buy in-app for features that were missing.

I'm not a dev so the degree of difficulty between apps and applications is lost on my. But is seems apparent that flashlight apps don't keep the lights on. Every now and then somebody gets Angry Birds rich. Most people don't.

I'd like Apple to allow timed trial versions. It's much easier to pay for an app that you can test drive first. Reviews from credible sources are good, but not always thorough or objective, and tend to be few and far between.

Real, productive or entertaining apps cost real time and money to develop. Fair enough. But I want an opportunity to check it out first. At least with the Mac App Store, some apps like Pixelmator have a trial version from the site to try before you hit the MAS. And there's no separate licensing for single/multiple devices. That's another quandary for a developer, at least for OS applications-- to App Store or not to App Store.

We've sort of been living with artificially low prices and it looks like that's changing. I'd like to see the App Store grow up, now. (But I really do like the "…as many computers and iDevices as you own" aspect.)

Sorry for excessive quoting, but pretty much all of this mirrors my feeling on the matter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 74
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020