advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any experience with Sennheiser HD595/600?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 12, 2006 04:42PM
I'm thinking of buying a Senneiser HD595/600, and wondering if anybody has any experience with them-especially whether or not the open design leads to the music bugging coworkers in the same office space.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any experience with Sennheiser HD595/600?
Posted by: Bixby
Date: September 12, 2006 07:10PM
Depends on how loud you like it. In most cases, it shouldn't, unless you have a very quiet office. Keep in mind, the open cans also allows noise in, so it can be good if you need to hear a phone ring or others around you, but it can intrude on your music.

The 595 is very different than the 600 as well... both in sound quality, and the fact that the 595 doesn't so much require a headphone amp, whereas the 600 much more does.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 12, 2006 08:52PM
Bixby-

I've seen mostly positive stuff on the 595 (other than the usual "They suuuck, man. You should have bought what I bought!!" rants). Some folks find 'em a bit bright, I guess.

If I wanted to spend the money, I'd go with the 650, maybe. But if I can pick up a new pair of the 595 for $145, that works for me.

What's you experience been. How would you contrast the two?

Thanks!
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 12, 2006 11:48PM
My first set of HD595's had a bad right driver. Sennheiser replaced it under warranty (I only had to pay to ship it to them). Second set is great. Even my roommate who is an audio snob likes them. A little heavier and warmer on the head than the Sony MDR-F1's I was replacing (which I broke when I stepped on them).

The bonus and/or flaw of the HD595's is that the cord ends in a 1/4" plug. Great if you're listening from a 1/4" source, like a receiver as I usually do. A little annoying if you're listening from a 1/8" source like an iPod. The included adapter puts a lot of strain on an 1/8" jack. You'll want to get an adapter that has a short bit of cord on it, $15 from headphone.com. Oh, and finding an adapter that uses a right-angle 1/8" plug is near impossible, I'm going to have to build one, b/c the only pre-built one I can find uses fancy-dancy cord and costs $75.
Posted by: Bixby
Date: September 13, 2006 10:33AM
The 595 is more forward, present, while the 600 is a bit more polite - but still extremely enjoyable. (I personally own the 580s - haven't been able to justify upgrading as of yet - though the new AKG 701 has piqued my interest)

Depending on where you're coming from, you'll likely be happy with either. If you've never been exposed to cans of that quality before, you'll really be happy!

One other small note, in addition to Gareth's notes - the 595 has a single (one-sided) connection, while the 600 cord connects on both sides. Don't know if that's a big enough concern to be a deciding factor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020