advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Selling my old G3..couple of questions
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: September 13, 2006 10:31AM
Im selling my old G3 to a friend of mine and Im wondering how, or if, I can clean things up a bit and re-install some old software that I no longer have discs for.

Key points are re-loading Photoshop 6, internet explorer, appleworks and few other items.

I realize this may not be possible but was wondering if anyone had a clue. I'd like to wipe the hard drive and re-install the OS and then re-install those software items.

Is there anyway to take these items off the machine in an installable form before cleansing?

Also...I've always found that 9.2.2 classic was a bit unstable...at least on my machine. Seems, in my dusty brain, like some earlier versions were more solid. Any recommendations there?

The guy im selling the machine to is going to use it for a limited scope of activity. He has some old software he uses to desing paintings with and is going to do some light Photoshop work so having the last blast of classic is not to important to him...he could get by with a slightly earlier version of classic if it was more stable
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Selling my old G3..couple of questions
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 13, 2006 10:38AM
9.1 was pretty much the stablest version. 9.2 was mostly about improving compatability with the Classic environment of OS X, and introduced some minor problems.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 13, 2006 11:05AM
More to the point, no. not in OS9 for most, and usually not in OSX for most, unless you're willing to hunt down and stash every little thing.

And *cough* you have to remember that you're violating your license agreements when you "sell" your software unless you follow whatever weird lawyer-induced insanity they require.

I'm giving my Beige G3 to a buddy whose wallstreet suffered a fatal drip attack...
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 13, 2006 08:58PM
Joe, I found 9.1 to be horribly unstable, and that 9.2 behaved better.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 13, 2006 11:36PM
Well, this is for a G3 which 9.2 was not originally intended for. It depends a lot on your hardware and which software you run.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 14, 2006 12:14AM
9.2.x has a far more stable Finder and far better FW capabilities, especially with DOS/FAT FW drives (not more capabilities, but faster access)
Posted by: guitarist
Date: September 14, 2006 03:45AM
"9.2.x has a far more stable Finder and far better FW capabilities"

Beige G3s were pre-Firewire.

9.1 is widely considered the preferred OS on older machines.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 14, 2006 04:06AM
no kidding that beige G3s were pre FW (unless you ordered the optional FW add-on PCI card from Aplle). It was just a general OS 9.2.x statement. And the Finder improvements work when opening any directory of a huge amount of files. (one big difference I have personally noticed between 9.1 and 9.2.x)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 428
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020