advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
more LED bulbs
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 08, 2014 05:40PM
these in the up bath. nice! replaced cfl's. not only is the light nice, but the instant on is added gratification. I'd guess we're now 75% LED.

!#$@@$#!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: more LED bulbs
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 08, 2014 06:06PM
Nice.

Though my wife and I consider the slow-to-full light intensity of CFLs a bonus in the bathroom, especially in the morning...!
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 08, 2014 06:22PM
We've replaced exposed CFLs in many areas in the house with LEDs for when the kids whack them - 2 CFLs have been broken that way.

However I love my 32W CFLs for their ~130W brightness in a few key areas of the house and my 20W ~75W brightness ones that fit in enclosed A19 fixtures. No LEDs need apply there.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 08, 2014 06:39PM
Lew Zealand
However I love my ... 20W ~75W brightness ones that fit in enclosed A19 fixtures. No LEDs need apply there.

Not true any longer... [www.homedepot.com]#

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: January 08, 2014 06:53PM
CFL's in my basement washer area, and the unheated garage are annoying. Turn on light 5 minutes before you need the light on to see anything. I've seen 40,60 and 75 watt equivalent LEDs, just waiting for 100's, then the next round of replacements will occur. Walk-in coolers at work will benefit with the LED's also.
Getting there, can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Pun intended.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Black
Date: January 08, 2014 07:32PM
davester
Lew Zealand
However I love my ... 20W ~75W brightness ones that fit in enclosed A19 fixtures. No LEDs need apply there.

Wish I was rich enough not to find that price unreasonable.
Currently, I'm rich enough that I'd pay $15 for one of those if I had a use for it.... but the only places I would are porch landings/attic. And nasty CFL light is more than good enough for those places.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 08, 2014 07:35PM
Black
davester
Lew Zealand

Wish I was rich enough not to find that price unreasonable.
Currently, I'm rich enough that I'd pay $15 for one of those if I had a use for it.... but the only places I would are porch landings/attic. And nasty CFL light is more than good enough for those places.

This time next year it will hit the $15 mark.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: January 08, 2014 07:49PM
Is that 9W 40W equivalent? I just bought some Cree bulbs that are 9.5W 60W.
Posted by: kj
Date: January 08, 2014 09:14PM
Just sharing, as it was the highlight of my week; I got to buy 2 cree 9.5 watter floods for cans in strategic places, and two cree 6 watters for the highest use bathroom. On the way to led bliss, baby. Anyone know where to get extremely warm colored very low wattage floods? I need two for the cans right over the television (I feel like I'm being interrogated). kj.
Date: January 08, 2014 09:24PM
kj
Just sharing, as it was the highlight of my week; I got to buy 2 cree 9.5 watter floods for cans in strategic places, and two cree 6 watters for the highest use bathroom. On the way to led bliss, baby. Anyone know where to get extremely warm colored very low wattage floods? I need two for the cans right over the television (I feel like I'm being interrogated). kj.
This looks like exactly what you are asking for.
[www.ikea.com]
IKEA is ahead on the game on affordable soft/warm lower wattage bulbs. Have not had opportunity to grab any yet though.

Date: January 08, 2014 09:38PM
Black
kj
This looks like exactly what you are asking for.
[www.ikea.com]
IKEA is ahead on the game on affordable soft/warm lower wattage bulbs. Have not had opportunity to grab any yet though.

Sweet, that looks exactly right. The closest ikea store is in Salt Lake City, but my in laws go there periodically to pick up lingonberries and senap, etc., so maybe we can talk them into grabbing some for us. kj.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: January 08, 2014 10:16PM
I'm stocking up on incandescents. I like incandescents, especially in winter (give off heat). When we get sane people back in Congress, they will repeal the idiotic ban.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: January 08, 2014 10:46PM
mrlynn
I'm stocking up on incandescents. I like incandescents, especially in winter (give off heat). When we get sane people back in Congress, they will repeal the idiotic ban.
/Mr Lynn

It's going to take a Congress that is not bought and paid for by big money.

When General Electric blamed "a variety of energy regulations that establish lighting efficiency standards" for the closing of incandescent light bulb factories in Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky, its PR team left out a critical detail: General Electric and fellow light bulb manufacturers Phillips and Osram Sylvania had lobbied for those regulations.

Ignore claims that the incandescent light bulb ban was imposed to fight global warming. The motive behind the bulb ban is money: Incandescents have a low profit margin.

[www.nationalcenter.org]

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 09, 2014 12:53AM
mrlynn
...sane people...in Congress...

...?

It is what it is.
Date: January 09, 2014 01:18AM
If I break even cost wise, I feel ahead. Using less energy and changing bulbs less often is win enough for me. kj.
Posted by: billb
Date: January 09, 2014 01:40AM
mrlynn
When we get sane people back in Congress, they will repeal the idiotic ban.

/Mr Lynn

good luck with that

to deal with the globe's dwindling resources and to support the masses of constantly fornicating ugly bags of mostly water governments around the world have and are regulating energy use. Whereas these easy to use lights are so darned popular the least efficient models are being phased out.
Fornicate or light bulbs.
I know which one is important to me.

LED !
LED !
LED !

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: January 09, 2014 07:47AM
mrlynn
I'm stocking up on incandescents. I like incandescents, especially in winter (give off heat).
/Mr Lynn

There's probably a Nobel Prize in Economics to be won if someone were to quantitate the human behavioral component behind this kind of statement.

I'm sure we all have something we care deeply about that is beyond $$ and common good that means we don't want to change.
Date: January 09, 2014 08:39AM
sekker
mrlynn
I'm stocking up on incandescents. I like incandescents, especially in winter (give off heat).
/Mr Lynn

There's probably a Nobel Prize in Economics to be won if someone were to quantitate the human behavioral component behind this kind of statement.

I'm sure we all have something we care deeply about that is beyond $$ and common good that means we don't want to change.

"Beyond $$ and common good"? CFLs that cost more, don't work in cold, contain dangerous mercury, hazardous to dispose of, provide cold light? LEDs that are woefully expensive and inadequate in standard lamps? Or incandescents that are cheap, used to last a good while (until they shut down US plants and started making them in China), provide nice warm light, and help to reduce your heat bill in the winter? The difference in energy use is trivial for most people, except perhaps where electricity cost has been driven up by whacko politicians. The US is awash in natural gas, oil, and coal; there is no reason except for government interference for electricity to cost more than a few pennies per kWh.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: billb
Date: January 09, 2014 09:08AM
sekker
mrlynn
/Mr Lynn

museums and art galleries all around the world are allegedly hoarding incandescents to buy some time until some decent replacements are available too.
There's a certain percentage of the population that are quite sensitive to the new technology lighting and denying that sensitivity is tantamount to gay-bashing and extending a disdain for minorities.
You don't bully minorities or anyone whose belief system is slightly different than your own do you ?.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: January 09, 2014 11:46AM
mrlynn
sekker
mrlynn
/Mr Lynn

"Beyond $$ and common good"? CFLs that cost more, don't work in cold, contain dangerous mercury, hazardous to dispose of, provide cold light? LEDs that are woefully expensive and inadequate in standard lamps? Or incandescents that are cheap, used to last a good while (until they shut down US plants and started making them in China), provide nice warm light, and help to reduce your heat bill in the winter? The difference in energy use is trivial for most people, except perhaps where electricity cost has been driven up by whacko politicians. The US is awash in natural gas, oil, and coal; there is no reason except for government interference for electricity to cost more than a few pennies per kWh.

/Mr Lynn

"Those were the daaaaaaaaays!"

Posted by: decocritter
Date: January 09, 2014 12:04PM
I am stockpiling incandescents, too. I need a few 75 and 100 watt bulbs, as well as 15 and 25.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 09, 2014 12:59PM
Light bulbs are a strange source of conflict, but it is definitely an area where some people need to agree to disagree. I personally hate CFLs - I can't stand everything fluttering like a stop-action film with a yellow/green tint. I like the light from incandescents, but the wasted energy from them is staggering. I'm too much of an engineer to ignore that wasted energy. LEDs, while not perfect, are getting really close to duplicating the light from incandescents and use only a fraction of the energy. LEDs are much easier to transport without damaging them, they last longer, use less energy, don't generate excess heat (I realize that 'excess' is subjective) and cost less to operate? I do think that some people have color sensitivity issues that are difficult to quantify so I can understand how others might find LEDs to be offensive, as they produce a narrow band of light shades compared to incandescents.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: January 09, 2014 01:47PM
I can't live with cfls. IMO, they're just awful in every way. But the Cree leds are indistinguishable from incandescent. Seriously. Kjmo.
Posted by: cowboyxjon
Date: January 09, 2014 02:40PM
CFLs are banned in my house. I won't EVER use them - I HATE THEM that much.
I suppose once I run through my stockpile of incandescent bulbs, I'll switch over to LEDs.
Date: January 09, 2014 05:30PM
ztirffritz
…I do think that some people have color sensitivity issues that are difficult to quantify so I can understand how others might find LEDs to be offensive, as they produce a narrow band of light shades compared to incandescents.

Maybe you meant CFLs there, not LEDs. There's a Popular Mechanics article with spectrums of the CFLs (very spiky) and LEDs (mostly smooth with a peak in the blue) and incandescents (perfectly smooth).
Date: January 09, 2014 05:36PM
I don't get the hate for CFLs. If it's their fragility and mercury use, I can see where you want to avoid that but hate? If it's their color rendering, it comes down to the same thing in every industry:

If you buy cheap, you get what you pay for. Feit CFL bulbs from Costco 10+ years ago had too much green in them and looked off in the home but were truly revealed in digital camera pictures which came out obviously pushed to green. Other CFLs I bought from other places look great, never quite as warm as incandescent but just a bit less yellow, the color spectrum looks great.
Date: January 09, 2014 08:49PM
I rest my case.

I'm not insensitive to people's visual perception differences - I cannot walk into rooms with certain carpets, it makes me visually nauseous.

But the objective data on CFL issues is more like peanut allergies - of those that think they have peanut allergies, only 4% do when tested.

I find the psychology fascinating.
Date: January 09, 2014 09:34PM
ztirffritz
Light bulbs are a strange source of conflict, but it is definitely an area where some people need to agree to disagree. . .

For some of us, it's not just a question of light-bulb types. It's an example of tyrannical federal overreach on entirely specious grounds (the 'global warming' hoax). If CFLs and LEDs are superior to incandescents, then let the market decide, dammit!

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: decocritter
Date: January 11, 2014 10:57AM
Trust me, you know if you have a peanut allergy. It not like a dust allergy.
Date: January 11, 2014 07:36PM
mrlynn
ztirffritz
Light bulbs are a strange source of conflict, but it is definitely an area where some people need to agree to disagree. . .

For some of us, it's not just a question of light-bulb types. It's an example of tyrannical federal overreach on entirely specious grounds (the 'global warming' hoax). If CFLs and LEDs are superior to incandescents, then let the market decide, dammit!

/Mr Lynn

It's not tyrannical federal overreach or your favorite tilted windmill which has brought us the ban on incandescents. It's the light bulb industry which makes negligible profit on a simple 100+ year old technology. There's a lot more profit in CFLs and LEDs and they lobbied congress to get that profit with the ban.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020