advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Tree Hugger Wants Bees out of his Tree
Posted by: SteveO
Date: September 16, 2006 11:31AM
So I've got a colony of bees in a stump hollow of one of my backyard trees. No beeg deal, right? Well, my gf has been stung 3 times in the past week. For some reason, they sting her and not me! I tell her it's because she's so sweet, but she's not buying it.

I'd rather NOT take a can of poison or a flamethrower to these guys as they are very beeneficial insects. If anyone has any suggestions on how to kindly encourage them to move along while doing the least harm, I'd appreciate it.

I could probably borrow Paul F's bazooka smiley guy, but I'd like to avoid it if at all possible.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tree Hugger Wants Bees out of his Tree
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 16, 2006 11:37AM
You'll probably need a professional who has the proper protective equipment. I believe a pro will use smoke to induce them to leave. Once the queen bee leaves, the rest will probably follow. A pro will be able to relocate the colony. Good luck.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 16, 2006 11:38AM
It you want to relocate the bees you need to relocate the stump. Its very difficult to convince bees to move to a new address.

(There isn't much reason not to kill them, bees are managing fine)

Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: September 16, 2006 11:47AM
TestCase is correct, with the queen gone the colony is history. You do not have to move the stump. Lots of bee colonies in houses around SoCal, no houses being dragged down the street, just queens being moved, and colonies relocated.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Date: September 16, 2006 11:55AM
Yeah, good call, guys. A pro will likely be necessary to take out the queen. I am pretty allergic to bee stings and I don't want to find out what will happen if I get stung by more than one at a time. Anaphylactic shock doesn't sound like fun.

I'll try some local beekeepers to start with, then move onto other pros. Meantime, I hope they don't attack me when I mow the grass today!
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: September 16, 2006 12:00PM
You can always try using one of these...

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: September 16, 2006 12:02PM
Beekeepers are the pros.
Posted by: Tofer
Date: September 16, 2006 12:35PM
Are you sure they are bees and not yellow-jackets? I'd nuke 'em if they were yellow-jackets or hornets.

-Tofer
(who will probably get stung today for saying that)
Date: September 16, 2006 01:23PM
EDIT:

I went and looked at the tree again. These guys are not bees. They are wasps. There is a big mud structure on the tree; I don't know how the hell I missed it before other than it was kind of dark when I looked. I am going to nuke the hell out of them with some "Safer" spray (some kind of natural mint/killing combo that isn't as toxic as the regular stuff) this evening when they are all hopefully in there. It is the choice of tree huggers!

A big THANKS for the help, one and all.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: September 16, 2006 01:31PM
I would say they are hornets actually, and should not be that difficult to kill. Spray works fine, you could just destroy the nest with a shovel, even the garden hose might do it (I have done all those things to a hornet's nest), but in any case do it in the evening or at night. I am not an expert, but I don't believe they have a queen; so once the integrity of the nest has been compromised, they will die or move on.
Date: September 16, 2006 03:03PM
I dunno, I think they are wasps. Hornets in my experience are pretty large and menacing. These guys look like those critters that hang around pop cans.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 16, 2006 03:57PM
another idea...where do you live? it might be easy to remove in winter whwn the wasps are dormant

Posted by: jdc
Date: September 16, 2006 04:58PM
sound like mud wasps, we get them here in northern ca -- i just killed a nest of them recently -- and its a totally different nest than yelowjackets, whish looks like it has honeycombs. (they arent for honey tho)

hosing off the nests of wasps or yellowjackets doesn't usually help -- they will build in the same place

spray in the early morning or at dusk, they are very quiet then

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: September 16, 2006 05:03PM
Have you got a hand pump garden sprayer? Spray the nest with kerosene.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 16, 2006 10:22PM
tell her it's because she's so sweet, but she's not buying it.

Bees (which is not your problem) are often attracted to perfumes and scented soaps. I don't know if that applies to yellow jackets/wasps/hornets. If she happened to rub herself with raw hamburger, that might attract yellow jackets.

Anaphylactic shock doesn't sound like fun.

VERY good reason to banish bees and other stinging insects. I had an uncle who was an avid bike rider and developed a severe allergy and had to carry atropine surettes with him.

Beekeepers are the pros.

ZZZacktly.

Spray the nest with kerosene.

Uh, no. The commercial sprays at the nursery or drugstore will do just fine, and have a 10-15' range.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: outcast
Date: September 16, 2006 11:31PM
Get them very early in the morning before they have warmed up and have a chance to become active. Make sure you have a clear path to a safe place if you have to make a quick exit should something go wrong.

Had these simply been honey bees, the easiest way to get rid of them is to call a professional bee keeper or someone who keeps hives. Pros may charge, but most bee keepers are usually willing to collect a hive at no charge.

outcast
Date: September 18, 2006 11:13AM
Thanks again, all. I sprayed them Saturday night with a couple good shots of the Safer wasp spray. Today I checked and it seems I only hit part of the nest. I'll douse them again tonight. The problem with waiting for winter is that a beekeeper told me these wasps don't go as dormant as bees in the winter. And our winters here in KC have been fairly mild on average the past several years. So I've got to get them now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 187
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020