advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: What was your first concert?
Posted by: Kate
Date: February 01, 2014 01:15PM
May 1964, Peter Paul and Mary at the Masonic Temple in San Francisco. Later that year, Bob Dylan (with a surprise visit by Joan Baez) at the San Jose Civiv Auditorium.

Great memories.

Kate
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: February 01, 2014 01:39PM
Charlie Byrd in my high scholl gym (Bowie, MD) in 1967.

1968 first rock concert by myself, with a date, Big Brother and the Holding Company with Janis Joplin (Cheap Thrills tour). opening was Jeff Beck Group with Rod Stewart singing (Truth LP tour). At the Alexandria (VA) Roller Rink.

That was the start of my addiction thru the 70's.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: February 01, 2014 02:50PM
I think it was Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot and Mother's Finest, a triple header, sometime in the 70's.

Grateful11
Posted by: Spock
Date: February 01, 2014 03:37PM
The Beatles - 1963.

Nothing more to be said.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 01, 2014 04:10PM

The Yardbirds featuring Jimmy Page playing in the gymnasium of my high school, Christ the King, Queens, New York, 1967. I was standing literally right in front of them for the whole set and have an original print of this photo, purchased from the school photographer along with an interview in the original school newspaper given by either Chris Dreja or Jim McCarty. I also have all their autographs on a napkin.

JoeM
Posted by: GeneL
Date: February 01, 2014 04:18PM
freeradical
Andrés Segovia

Wasn't he wonderful!

Many years ago, I saw him and later on saw Montoya both at Carnegie Hall.

Segovia played with so much feeling, but I felt that while Montoya was masterful in his technique, his performance lacked emotion, especially compared to Segovia.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 01, 2014 04:45PM
Peter Gabriel.

1980. The "Face Melt" album tour.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: February 01, 2014 05:03PM
Genesis, 1984, Ritchfield Coliseum, Cleveland
Billy Joel a month later

Athens, OH
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 01, 2014 05:14PM
Spock
The Beatles - 1963.

Nothing more to be said.

ftw smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: February 01, 2014 05:15PM
JoeM

The Yardbirds featuring Jimmy Page playing in the gymnasium of my high school, Christ the King, Queens, New York, 1967. I was standing literally right in front of them for the whole set and have an original print of this photo, purchased from the school photographer along with an interview in the original school newspaper given by either Chris Dreja or Jim McCarty. I also have all their autographs on a napkin.

I hate you, just sayin'. grinning smiley

Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 01, 2014 07:08PM
I met Chris Dreja, he's a friend of a former coworker of mine. He was in the US to visit his daughter at college and dropped by the office for lunch with the coworker. I was too swamped with deadlines to go along, although invited, and too stupid to realize that the deadlines were BS. I should have gone. He had aged beautifully, by the way.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 01, 2014 07:13PM
JoeM

dunno that I hate you, but envious for sure.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2014 07:13PM by Fritz.
Date: February 01, 2014 09:48PM
We've posted about this topic before and I've told the story of seeing The Yardbirds at my HS a couple of times but I never got to scan and post the memorabilia until now. So for rgG, $tevie, Fritz and anyone who'd like to see:

And the second concert I ever went to was:

Yep, $4.00 to see Zep plus Woody and Delany and Bonnie. It was truly an amazing time for music and to be into learning to play an instrument. These guys were such inspirations to me. :-)

JoeM
Date: February 01, 2014 09:58PM
And here's the interview I mentioned in my HS newspaper found on LedZeppelin.com:
[forums.ledzeppelin.com]

JoeM
Date: February 01, 2014 10:40PM
This is not making me feel one bit better, Joe!

smiley-shocked003

JK. That is freaking amazing. The Yardbirds and Zeppelin, not to mention the other acts, wow, just wow.

Also, lotta hair in those pics. A whole lotta hair. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2014 10:42PM by rgG.
Posted by: raz
Date: February 02, 2014 12:21AM
Yes. Drama, 1981 or so at the Forum in Inglewood.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 02, 2014 12:28AM
JoeM
Yep, $4.00 to see Zep plus Woody and Delany and Bonnie. It was truly an amazing time for music and to be into learning to play an instrument. These guys were such inspirations to me. :-)

This strikes me as a somewhat bizarre, albeit awesome, line up. emoticon-animal-004

Posted by: Black
Date: February 02, 2014 02:22AM
JoeM

Why on earth were the Yardbirds playing at a HS in Queen's? Is there a story there?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Black
Date: February 02, 2014 02:32AM
Ne'er mind, there's an explanation in the linked interview thread.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 02, 2014 08:24AM
$tevie
JoeM

This strikes me as a somewhat bizarre, albeit awesome, line up. emoticon-animal-004

you don't find that kind of mix on shows nowadays. hell, you rarely see more than two acts on a bill.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 02, 2014 03:36PM
Ted Nugent, about '78 or so. Right before he went bat chit crazy. I remember asking a coworker on the walk out to the parking lot if he was going, and he said he wasn't sure. He didn't know if he would like the opening act that no one had ever heard of. Turned out to be The Cars. :-)

I almost got to see Alice Cooper several years earlier, but I had to work at the family business so my older brothers and sisters could go. (last minute change, my sister wasn't going, but changed her mind after her boyfriend talked her into going. She wasn't a fan). rolleyes smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2014 03:39PM by Rick-o.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 02, 2014 03:38PM
JoeM, you're my hero! That had to be simply amazing! hail smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 02, 2014 05:56PM
...Mozart.....he is amazing....live in concert.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020