Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
fitbit
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 02, 2014 10:11AM
[www.fitbit.com]

anyone using one care to comment? I'm a heavy walker and terrible sleeper and sounds like it might be of use.

!#$@@$#!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: fitbit
Posted by: carl
Date: February 02, 2014 10:34AM
I received one for Christmas and have been using since .

My take on it, it's great tool for keeping you motivated to walk.

But, it's not particularly accurate. It will record any motion your arm/wrist makes as a step. I have been doing a lot of home improvement projects and using power tools or performing receptive motions (sanding/painting) are recorded as steps.

One feature I like a lot is the alarm feature, you can set a daily alarm and it will awaken you by vibrating.

The online feedback has support group like features where you can join groups to help you stay motivated to exercise and I think for some that can be very helpful. But if you really want accuracy in how many steps you have taken, you are going to be disappointed.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 02, 2014 10:42AM
I don't see the point if you're already getting good exercise...eh, unless you want some way to track it.

the sleep functionality is pretty weak. i'm very interested in getting a device that does good sleep tracking since its easy for me to measure my exercise (heart rate!)

i'm tempted to get a device that does much better sleep tracking but its about $200. I'd need to see a few reviews as well - its brand new to the market.

Date: February 02, 2014 11:15AM
"i'm tempted to get a device that does much better sleep tracking but its about $200. I'd need to see a few reviews as well - its brand new to the market."

link?

!#$@@$#!
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 02, 2014 12:46PM
I received one for my birthday last week. It's worked well, but with limits. I spent the week doing heavy manual labor, basically demolition work. It registered lots of steps, which was correct, but it had no idea that I was carrying 50-75 lbs around for 5 hours while doing those steps. I manually logged a 5 hour weight lifting session to get a better reading of my caloric expenditure for the day.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Kate
Date: February 02, 2014 01:05PM
I've used one for over a year, and I love it. I'm retired and prone to laziness and sloth, just too much time watching movies and playing on the internet

Accurate or not, it's a good reminder that I need to move.

Kate
Date: February 02, 2014 01:19PM
Kate
laziness and sloth
Kate

Isn't that a new sitcom or pop band?

!#$@@$#!
Date: February 02, 2014 01:56PM
"Laziness and Sloth"

Actually, my middle name!

Kate
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 02, 2014 02:25PM
My FIL got one for xmas. He ended up giving it to my wife. His casio g zone phone tracks his walking/milege for the day(He is a mason and doesnt like gurly phones). So he didnt really need it, additionally he doesnt like to have to wear a wristband that needs to be charged weekly.

Wife used it for about three weeks then just stopped using it. She would use it on our walks/hikes and found it to be not very accurate and it would lose it connection to her iPhone 4s from time to time. It frustrated her that she had to tie it to her shoe to get more accurate results.

Nice idea, but it failed her expectations. She is used to her MBA and iPhone "just working" without anything extra.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2014 02:26PM by Carm.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 02, 2014 03:30PM
Carm, sounds like a common problem with te 4S - not enough RAM.

My 5S connects much better to my Pebble than my 4S.

I am going to try Runkeeper with my Pebble in lieu of the fitbit.
Date: February 02, 2014 04:18PM
I use the old fitbit,clips to my pants, connects fine and synchs with all my devices

Kate
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 02, 2014 06:29PM
Not sure about the more expensive ones. I am going on over a year with a Fitbit Zip.

I just throw it in my pocket, where it does a very accurate job tracking walking and walking like activities. It does a good job keeping me moving, or conforming that I did a lot of walking/biking, skiing that day. Mrs Markintosh and another friend also have one, so it keeps us competitive. The app includes a place to list your friends efforts for the last 7 days. You can jive them a huge of encouragement or chide their laziness.

Huge bonus to the Zips is the non-rechargeable battery. The button batteries in mine last 6+ months of every day use.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 02, 2014 06:51PM
More than likely the problem sekker. I would like to get a zip. Maybe for my Bday in April.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 02, 2014 09:32PM
Fritz
"i'm tempted to get a device that does much better sleep tracking but its about $200. I'd need to see a few reviews as well - its brand new to the market."

link?

[www.mybasis.com]

Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 02, 2014 10:16PM
The sleep information would be very interesting. I wonder how the wrist watch measures the phases of sleep? I could not find out from their support page.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020