advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Which glue to fix a Swiss Army knife handle ? (Plastic)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 06, 2014 09:54AM
The plastic handle for my beloved and storied pocket Swiss army knife (Victorionox Rambler) has come loose... the plastic molding has cracked at the rivet and it's loose. I *could* send it in for a lifetime warranty replacement, but I don't want to. I've carried this knife all over the world... infamously used it to repair a laser missile tracking system up on a mountain in Baluchistan in full McGyver mode which involved a piece of wire coat hangar to replace a bus wire, a leather belt for insulation, and this teeny Swiss Army knife as my only tool.

What sort of glue should I use ? I'm thinking Gorilla, because epoxy will be a bit brittle and might crack after some time.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Which glue to fix a Swiss Army knife handle ? (Plastic)
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: February 06, 2014 09:55AM
In true McGyver mode I'd suggest JB Weld. After all, it can fix anything....

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: February 06, 2014 10:00AM
Swiss Army Glue?

Eustace
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 06, 2014 10:12AM
If you Gorilla it, make sure you have a giant clamp handy.... Plus, another utility knife to prune off the effluent from the edges.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: michaelb
Date: February 06, 2014 10:28AM
I am not a glue expert. But what makes you think Gorilla glue would be less brittle then epoxy? My guess/thought is that a good epoxy is always going to be stronger, and that gorilla glue is just a cheap expanding all in one glue that gets heavily marketed by a brand name.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 06, 2014 10:34AM
duct tape it.....??????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: February 06, 2014 10:39AM
Remember that Gorilla glue, the brown stuff is water activated. Instructions say to put water on one surface, thin layer of glue on the other. Clamp or put weight on item for a couple of hours.

I used this glue for a long time before I found out it was water activated. Nothing ever stuck. I was about to give up on it before I found that part out.

Fred
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: February 06, 2014 11:37AM
I would use a cyanoacrylate, aka "superglue." Not all are created equal! Gorilla makes a very good one that is "rubberized" to absorb some shock. [www.gorillatough.com]

Loctite is a good brand, and another that is good is Kiss Maximum Speed nail glue - for artificial fingernails. Look in the cosmetics section of your drugstore.

I assume it's a clean break. Any glue will take up some space and throw off the fit a little. The thicker the glue, the more the fit is altered. But the thin CA glues especially are not very forgiving: make sure you can place the piece right where you want it the first time!

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 06, 2014 11:39AM
If it was me... I'd get a couple small slabs of my favorite wood... or carbon fiber, or horn, antler, or some other material I took a fancy to...
And make new scales for the knife, then use an epoxy to secure them to the original rivets/sides of the knife.
But that's me... I've made a few knives as a hobby.
The handles always came out better than the blades on my projects. (never could get the hang of grinding a perfect hollow on the blades... not enough practice, and too cheap a contact wheel in my grinder, I suspect).

A knife with a story like that deserves to be saved, and to be spruced up a little!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: RonT
Date: February 06, 2014 11:56AM
Your knife is guaranteed for life. Send it back to the manufacturer and they will probably repair it for free as they did mine when the same thing that happened to yours happened to mine.

Send it to:
Swiss Army Brands, Inc. Service Center
PO Box 897 65 Trapp Falls Rd
Shelton CT 06484-0897

Their warrantu asks that you "Please include your name, address and phone number with your return."
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 06, 2014 11:57AM
I fixed my vintage Explorer model (only one with a magnifying glass) with silicone sealant.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 06, 2014 12:04PM
Superglue was suggested, but I don't think it has the flexibility to maintain a good bond between plastic and steel. It's very good where absolute rigidity is needed, but this is not one of those situations.

I'd use epoxy too. First, clean all the surfaces to be glued with alcohol or acetone. Rough up the steel surfaces with a file, and the plastic with 100 grit sandpaper. Tape off the areas where you don't want the epoxy to go since cleanup afterwards might be a challenge if it gets inside the knife. Clean up squeeze out with acetone and a paper towel before it sets.

With epoxy, I've had best results using plain old epoxy, not quick-setting, not super-strength. Every gimmick added takes something away. Make sure the epoxy is at room temperature or better. For best curing, leave the knife in a warm spot, like under an incandescent bulb.

Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: February 06, 2014 12:22PM
I had one handle come off the first SA Knife I had, used Loctite super glue from the storeroom at work. In 1974, that was an industrial grade glue and it held up fine until I lost the knife. The next one I bought had knurled aluminum handles, it's still good.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 06, 2014 12:40PM
I'd use epoxy or cyanoacrylate for uneven surfaces if you don't think you'll ever want to repair it "better".
Plain old silicone on cleaned mating surfaces will allow for second thoughts about sending it in to be repaired.
They might even send the original cracked handle back for sentimental reasons if requested.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 06, 2014 01:36PM
buy one of the ones with the aluminum handle & thicker blades.

then send yours in for repair.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 06, 2014 01:46PM
"A knife with a story like that deserves to be saved, and to be spruced up a little!"

I'd second the advice to send it in and get it repaired properly.

Once properly repaired, it will give you many more years of faithful service. I expect that in addition to repairing / replacing the scale(s), they'll clean your knife and maybe even sharpen the blades.

Give this trusted and valued tool the respect, care and love it deserves.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 06, 2014 01:49PM
I'd be worried about not getting the same one back as a "replacement" rather than repaired too.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: M>B>
Date: February 06, 2014 02:35PM
I have one of these...

But, was thinking of this one...
Posted by: Pops
Date: February 06, 2014 02:43PM
Epoxy. The glue of glues.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 06, 2014 04:19PM
Before gluing, I would call them, and see if they could give you positive assurance, and complete instructions corroborating same, that you will get your original knife back, with only the broken scale replaced, and as biilb noted, maybe even return the orinial, broken scale. If you want other stuff done, make accommodations for that as well, if none are desired, clarify you only want the scale repair because of the knife's sentimental journies. If they'll email you a confirmation, that's best, otherwise get names, ID#'s, etc. to include with your submission. If that doesn't work out properly, then consider gluing... or you could just frame it, and get another EDC knife to create new adventures with. The sentimental value is infinitely greater than its intrinsic replacement value, so don't do anything to jeopardize that.

==

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 06, 2014 05:38PM
eustacetilley
Swiss Army Glue?
Eustace

And if you want it waterproof...Swiss Navy Glue, I suppose?
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: February 06, 2014 07:34PM
Steve G.
eustacetilley
Swiss Army Glue?
Eustace

And if you want it waterproof...Swiss Navy Glue, I suppose?

Some may take this as a flight, er, float of whimsey, but even though Switzerland is landlocked, it does have a Navy, as described here:

[en.wikipedia.org]

I don't know about their glues, but their lubricants are well regarded:

[www.amazon.com]

Eustace
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: February 06, 2014 08:38PM
For plastic, it's generally best to use a plastic solvent designed to "weld" or fill.

Ideally, you'd match the type of solvent to the type of plastic you are binding.

Use a toothpick or needle-applicator for precision and wipe residue away as quickly as possible to avoid marring the surface.
Posted by: tenders
Date: February 06, 2014 09:56PM
The ticket for this repair if you do it yourself is West G/Flex epoxy.

[www.westsystem.com]

But I agree, send it back to the manufacturer as long as they assure you they'll send the same unit back to you.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: February 07, 2014 06:15AM
I too carry a small Swiss Army knife. I can't find a replacement, and a little piece of the plastic on mine broke off. I repaired it with Gorilla glue and then sanded it down to the original shape. It has held in place for a couple of years. It is now the same matte pocket finish that the rest of it is. I use this knife daily.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 07, 2014 02:43PM
Cbelt,

I wouldn't use Gorilla Glue. It expands. At least it does when I've used it. Followed the instructions to the letter. Expands. Annoying as heck.

The best course of action is Buzz's advice. The knife is a treasure. Do whatever you need to do to ensure you get _your_ knife back. Not a replacement. Your knife. Repaired.

Or, personalize it like Paul suggested. smiling smiley

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 170
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020