advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
City cyclists: recommend some tires for me
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: February 14, 2014 09:27AM
The used mountain bike I bought last summer still has the knobby tires it was sold with. I want something better suited to city riding, with a firm solid tread down the center to reduce rolling resistance. I do occasionally venture offroad and ride in the rain, so I'm hesitant to do city slickers.

A couple of bikes back I had Armadillos, and never flatted. But I'm also putting in Slime self-sealing tubes. Are Kevlar tires overkill?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: City cyclists: recommend some tires for me
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 14, 2014 09:40AM
Kevlar's only overkill if non-Kevlar didn't leave you with flats.

You might like something such as one of the Schwalbe Marathons. They aren't light, but you're not racing. (And compared to putting Slime tubes in regular tires, probably not heavier than that.) I think they might have a Kevlar version, but in general, they get their toughness from good old fashioned thicker tread! And the smooth tread pattern will be fine for rain or light dirt.
Posted by: Bixby
Date: February 14, 2014 09:44AM
Schwalbe Big Apple.
Posted by: kj
Date: February 14, 2014 11:50AM
Through systematic experimentation I found that the component responsible for my lack of flats was actually the specialized tubes with the no flat goop in them. I like them much better than slimed tubes because I think it's latex based, well, and it actually works instead of just squirting green goo all over everything. I also use a tubeless set up with stans, which works incredibly well, but requires more maintanence, as well as putting stans in normal (schrader) tubes, which works great.

As far as tires, I think most brands are pretty decent, but lately I've been excited about several Maxxis tires. They make the "High Roller", which looks like what you're asking for. Personally, I have slicks on a couple bikes, and around here where there's a lot of dry hardpack, they do fine on the trails (ymmv). My favorite slicks so far have been Bontrager Hanks (hi volume comfort and they've worn incredibly well) and Ritchey slicks (NOT the toms). Schwalbes are great, but double the cost of anything I've used, and they frankly weren't any better. Oh, and we had some continentals on our tandem, and they were tanks. I wish I remembered which model they were! kj.
Posted by: Black
Date: February 14, 2014 12:50PM
Avoid anything with inverted tread that can catch glass or metal shards and give them an opportinuty to work in.
I would never use either of the tires recommended above to ride around Chicago for this reason, unless you like fixing punctures or walking the bike home.
Personally I =only= use knobbies for city riding these days--- least punctures.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 14, 2014 02:29PM
how much riding do you do? most tires last a couple thousand miles. it can take a looong time to make it through a set of tires.

what size wheels do you have? this will determine what tires will fit. wheel size (27"?) by rim width. 2"?

---

when i first started riding in the city i tried to do whatever i could to prevent flats. thick tubes, tire liners, gatorskin tires. it seemed to help

now i own a road bike and ride training tires that are quite nice. (Conti Grand Prix 4000s) somehow i get fewer flats than i used to.

therefore i recommend getting the fastest tire you can find for that guy and see how it goes. you'll also appreciate a faster tire.

have some fun with it!

Posted by: DP
Date: February 14, 2014 04:26PM
What's a "stan", kj?
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: February 14, 2014 04:56PM
Mostly I just run short errands in downtown Chicago: supermarket, Home Depot, Target, client meetings. In summer I like to go exploring in unfamiliar neighborhoods or suburbs, but I seldom do more than 15 miles in a day.

I'm not worried about how long the tires will last. The bike will be stolen long before that.
Posted by: kj
Date: February 14, 2014 07:15PM
DP
What's a "stan", kj?

Stan's sealant. It's for going tubeless, but you can put it in your tubes to seal leaks (and it works really well).

It wasn't the tires I posted that had inverted tread, was it? The ones I have definitely don't. kj.
Posted by: digby
Date: February 15, 2014 09:33PM
I teach school, so I can't be late for work. And most days I bike 8 urban miles through construction sites, road work, and broken glass, so I'm always getting flats. Switching to kevlar helped a lot. Buying a new bike helped even more: when my bike guy said "And the Trek 7.2 has puncture-resistant tires", I was sold.

Haven't had a flat since.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020