advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
4th Gen iPod drive repair/replace?
Posted by: Diana
Date: February 17, 2014 02:57AM
I have an old but much loved 4th generation click-wheel iPod which died during a business trip. It seemed to want to start up after not being used for a while, but then the screen went blank with a sigh. I thought it might be just the battery, so I plugged it in and went to bed.

The next morning, all was not good--it refused to do anything at all. I haven't yet opened it up to check for what the potential problem might be (the drive or the battery), and I thought I would check into upgrading the drive if possible. It's only 20 Gb, so putting a larger drive in it is out of the question. I don't have the larger backplate that would be required to accommodate the larger drive, and, since I have the phone, it just doesn't make sense to put too much into it.

I was thinking of replacing the drive with a SSD or whatever will fit. It appears that a CF card with adapter is the ticket. Has anyone done this, and what was the outcome?

The battery may be toast; any idea where I can get a replacement if this is the problem? This whole project may be a no-go, especially if when I open it I find that the battery has puked on everything!

Any ideas or comments are welcome. Thanks!

Diana
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 4th Gen iPod drive repair/replace?
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: February 17, 2014 05:51AM
Our Forum Sponsor should have the battery. I know I have seen some web sites that have instructions for the SSD replacement. I will do a quick search and be back to EDIT.

EDIT: here's one: [www.youtube.com]

EDIT: here's two: [www.instructables.com]

[www.addonics.com]

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2014 05:57AM by WHiiP.
Re: 4th Gen iPod drive repair/replace?
Posted by: Diana
Date: February 17, 2014 04:11PM
I thought I replied to this but….

Thanks WHiiP. I ordered the parts and will let everyone know how it goes.

Diana
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020